Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bringing a Gopro back from the US
  • mrbotticelli

I have an opportunity for a work colleague based in the US to bring over a Gopro when they next visit.

A quick look suggests that a Hero 3 Silver would be approx £200 in the US, as opposed to £259 in the UK.

What are the downsides other than warranty returns probably having to go the US?

scotroutes

Well – he’ll have to pay Duty and VAT on it when he brings it through customs.

monogramman
    Free Member

Does it charge via usb or mains?

Maybe need a uk plug?

mynamesnotbob
    Free Member

You have a £300 limit for electrical goods, so you won’t on a gopro:

http://www.heathrow-airport-guide.co.uk/dutyfree.html

mrbotticelli

My understanding is no tax, duty or other charges and therefore more attractive than having it posted which seems pointless.

Unlike the myriad of Gopro’s on eBay it will have a serial number attached, will have been purchased by me, in a the correct market at the correct selling price from an official reseller. Although it will obvious not remain in the market in which it was purchased.

It will have a serial number unlike those on eBay, but it, won’t have any UK backup. But I’m not convinced by how valuable some of the UK warranties offered by eBay sellers are given the ease with which I imagine you could probably create/shutdown a business.

scotroutes

Just VAT then.
    http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-digital-camera/
    20% of £200 is £40, so a £19 saving over the UK price.

dair86
    Free Member

Had my parents bring a hero3 black back from the us last month. Saved me 100 quid on uk price.
    The just put it in the suit case along with some other gifts for my self and mrs d. No questions asked even when the case was opened for inspection as it was a large tour ski bag..

Rockhopper
    Free Member

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Does the US price listed include US Sales Tax? (Very Very unlikley)
    If not add that one and here is a helpful guide to claiming the Tax back
    https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/373/~/how-to-obtain-a-refund-of-sales-tax-paid-while-visiting-the-united-states

The United States Government does not refund sales tax to foreign visitors.

Also be warned there is no single rate of sales tax…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d say the only issue is the cost and hassle of sending it back if there is a problem. But I think that’s unlikely.

Oh and like above, the plug.

njee20
    Free Member

I bought a Hero 2, typically days before the 3 was announced! It was $240 as opposed to £300, no contest! No mains plug included, just USB, so no issue!

Drac

Just make sure he does, it would terrible if he forgot he had it in his luggage.

jim
    Free Member
    Mikkel
    Free Member

There is no plug to worry about, it only comes with usb cable for charging.

scotroutes

[quote]When you travel to the UK from outside the European Union (EU), you can bring in a certain amount of duty and tax free goods for your own use. [/quote]

MadBillMcMad

if he is not bringing through as a gift but for personal use 😉 then there will be no tax to pay, so take it out of the box when bringing it in so it does not look like it has come straight from the shop.

Same rule applies to skis etc…

mrbotticelli

With regards tax, duty etc.

This link suggests that as long as its for your own use or is a gift then you have a limit of £390

Very tempted, I could get a black with chest harness for the same price as a silver in the UK.

Trying to pretend its a future proof investment that won’t need replacing or upgrading for years and therefore makes more sense than a cheaper camera. 😉

lovebadger
    Free Member

I brought the gopro 3 ‘white’ (which was the cheapest version) home a few months back. It was $199 from Walmart and as mentioned only comes with a USB charger so no problems there. I used it over there and didn’t need the box so left it there.

Would have liked the silver or black version but they weren’t available. Great unit though! Good luck with it…

BoardinBob

I bought the Silver a few weeks ago in the US. In Delaware so there was no sales tax. Including the chest mount it was about £220

mrbotticelli

So, hesitated to long and missed this opportunity last time round, but it has come around again.

REI have a deal on the Hero 3 Black which gets a chest strap included for $399 which looks like a good deal.

Will I regret buying one, have the problems been addressed? I’m assuming any warranty will mean a return to the US?

Has anyone brought from REI before, I will be trying to have it delivered to a US address if that makes a difference?

b45her
    Free Member

is everyone here really so super honest??

just unbox it and throw it in your suitcase, do you really think customs give enough shits to go through your suitcase to nail you for a couple of quids worth of tax.

atlaz
    Free Member

Got to be honest. If I pay tax on it in the US while I’m there, I lob the boxes away and bring it home. I’d pay taxes if I was doing mail order but if you’ve been there in person, I am happy it’s fair game.

easygirl

I think customs and excise have more to worry about than £19 tax on a go pro

Superficial
    Free Member

Just in case you were wondering about PAL vs NTSC it’s a non issue in the digital age, but there’s a setting in camera anyway.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Personal allowance is currently £390 so you don’t even need to bin boxes or hide receipts if bringing it in yourself!

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/arriving/arrivingnoneu.htm

mrbotticelli

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone actually got an opinion on the problems with the Hero 3 Black, international warranty issues and ordering from REI?

Cheers 🙂

GHill

I’ve bought plenty of stuff from REI in the past (when I lived in the States). No problems at all.

tonyd

I’ve bought loads of stuff from REI also and had no problems. Never had to take anything back, but I doubt there’d be any issues.

drofluf
    Free Member

Like GHill and tonyd I’ve used REI with no problems.

mrbotticelli

Good to hear positive news about REI

Tempted to click the buy button and take my chances!

dantsw13

REI are a very well respected brand in the USA. They are a cooperative akin to John Lewis in their field. They are as good as it gets, basically. I travel to the states all the time – GoPro black is under your limits.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

In other news gopro black cams are available from sellers on eBay UK for £289 (same price as the silver) brand new. Just got one myself 😉

mrbotticelli

Theroadwarrior, I’ve looked at those and come close to buying. What has always put me off is that every buyer has always told me they will be supplied without serial numbers and with no Gopro backup as they are effectively grey imports, on the plus side you should get a years warranty from the seller if they stay in business.

The advantage, I think, of the US purchase is that it is cheaper, approx £260 including a chest mount, and will have serial numbers and Gopro support in the US. The downside, no UK based warranty.

I think that covers my dilemma. 😕

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

How do you mean no gopro backpack? Where is the serial number number so I can check mine? Ill let you know…

jam-bo

Backup not backpack.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Thanks jam Bo !

I’ve just checked mine and I do have a s/n. in fact I remember having to enter it on the GoPro site to get the latest firmware download.

mrbotticelli

theroadwarrior, that’s good to hear!

Do you have details of the buyer you used, assuming it was a retailer?

Cheers

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Bringing a Gopro back from the US’ is closed to new replies.