Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tents, 1-2 person for me and MrsBouy
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve been looking into doing some camping, nothing extreme, not intending to hang off a cliff in -10C more like late spring/summer/autumn stuff in some secluded places here.

So far I’ve seen a Vango Tempest 200 which looks like it could be a good deal.

Anyone know of something robust, waterproof and ultimately warm (ish)

Also looking into sleeping bags etc.. In fact pretty much the whole set of gear.

Ta
    Very
    Muchly

winston_dog
    Free Member

Have a look on here Cheaptents.com

Some decent deals and a good selection, from cheap to quite dear!

pingu66
    Free Member

I am loking at these as well. There are a few but it depends on your budget.

My understanding is that if you get a 2/3 season sleeping bag, a tent and a sleeping bag liner yoou should be good for 4 seasons.

One thing I did notice that the ground sheets sometimes are quite poor water resistance so from reading yu get moisture coming up.

There are loads, Jack olskin Gossamer, Vango Soul are two then there are a few cheaper in a similar weight range. Go Outdors Hi Gear Soloist at £30! Gelert Solo £45, Aztec Backpaker £35.

When I finally decide my main condition is must be under 2kg, I think you can get one for under £100 but still researching.

Woody
    Free Member

Have you actually had a look at 1-2 man tents ‘in the flesh’ and how are you travelling to these secluded spots? Is weight an issue?

Vast difference between something you just crawl in to at night and something where there is a bit of comfort for cooking etc.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

A Tempest 200 will be okay but they are fairly snug … the old model Tempest was actually a very good tent.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Well I’ve just spent best part of an hour in a tent shop and have narrowed it down to Vango Mirage or Tempest 300’s.

Thing with the Mirage is that’s its a little more structural in that its got criss/cross frame where the Tempest is more tubular so a little better in wind.
    As I’m a complete novice in this area I’m simply going from what I’ve just read and seen and I’m very pleased to see that things have moved on quite considerably. I thought I would get a single skin/separate groundsheet for £150 odd, but nooo.. I can get twin lined and sewn in groundsheets with some structure for that kind of money. I was always looking at spending £150 odd on a tent so that’s my budget, seems there’s quite a lot you can get for that.
    I also looked at synthetic sleeping bags, these too can be had for <£80 ea and a liner for less that £20. I’m plumbing for an (slightly) inflate able mattress layer to keep my bum off the ground and these can be had for £25.
    I’ve already got cookers and all manner of outdoor plates and kettles so no need to buy them. I will buy a set of led lights though for the tent, look pretty good they do.

So I’m sorted, all my kit for less than £400 which I think is a bargain.

pingu66
    Free Member

I was loking for the lightest I could get! Might have a rethink.

What sleeping bags have caught your eye.

iainc

Go outdoors always good for package deals, as are decathlon. Good enough quality for most of us at a fraction of the prices from ‘proper camping shops’ 🙂

footflaps

If you’re going to use it in the UK, get something where the outer pitches first so you can put it up and take it down in the rain whilst keeping the inner dry.

My 2 man tent is a Macpac Minaret – small, but light and very robust, been used in all four seasons in the UK.

CAMPING ON RED PIKE by brf, on Flickr

matt_outandabout

The Tempest is a solid tent – at any budget. We have a few at work, and apart from the orange inner and and weight, they are hard to fault…

matt_outandabout

^ and my old Minaret is still *the* best tent ever. It took 12 years of battering up hills, round the world and on river banks. The only issue was a friend borrowing it for an ML assessment, and despite being the only tent left standing in the morning it suffered a cracked pole. Macpac/SMG repaired it for free (on a 4 year old tent…). Heavy by modern standards, but bombproof and brilliantly designed.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ah ha it was Go Otdoors I first looked at but the nearest to That Larndarn where I am this weekend is.. Thurrock and there is no way on this planet you will find me in that hell hole 😆 so I went to Cotswold who have a store next to Cyclesport in Strype St in Spittalfields… The staff there were very very helpful, accommodating, unabridged advice, once I’ve finalised my list I’m going to buy my stuff from them, they couldn’t have been more helpful.

I only intend to do “light” camping with it. You know the kinda thing, occasional weekends, the odd night here and there, with locations anywhere in the UK but deffo not in winter, nooooo… That’s just wrong 😆 I’ll use it for trips in Europe too..

Sleeping bags.. Vango Wildeness & Stratos, Cotswolds own branded Ayacucho synthetic Solar all fit the bill, not looking at down filled as they seem like too expensive for what I’ll use them for. The mats look pretty cool, semi inflated foam that you can give an extra lungful of air into seem the way to go, and those pillows that fold into themselves..

Ah one more point, whilst weight isn’t an issue as I don’t intend carrying it very far, I’ve been amazed at how light and small stuff packs into, so I could go further with it so I’m taking an interest, but it’s not my prime concern.

Thanks for your tips lads, appreciate your efforts as always.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

when your trying out the tent make sure its one that the two of you can sit up in with some room. I have used 1 man with 2 people its not recommended. 2 – 3 man tents are a better alround bet. I have a 3 man tent and use it for mountain marathons etc. You have to be able to live in it. Like footflaps one is ideal. Get both of you with your gear in the tent when you try and remember you will need to be able to cook in the door way in bad weather.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tents, 1-2 person for me and MrsBouy’ is closed to new replies.