Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Brifters ….. Ultegra or GRX
  • letmetalktomark

As above.

Assuming the same price is there much between the RX810 and the R8020 mechanical brifters.

Cheers,

Mark

scaredypants

I don’t own either
    Supposedly GRX are better for riding/braking on the hoods

paton
    Free Member

soundninjauk

What bike are they going on? I’ve got ultegra 8070 (hydraulic di2) on the road bike and RX810s (hydraulic mechanical) on the gravel bike and that’s definitely the right way round. The GRX are bigger and I think slightly longer as well.

Both comfy though so I don’t think you’ll go wrong, just pick depending on the bike they’re going on.

Daffy

I don’t have 8020, but do have 9170 and GRX 815s and 810s. The 810s feel longer in reach than the 9170. The blades on the GRX are broader and longer than the 9170s, this feel better off-road, but on road the 9170s feel better.

Performance wise, they feel similar. The GRX seem to be easier to setup without dragging. I don’t know if this is because they have a better/newer version of the servo wave cam.

100psi
    Free Member

I have ageing b-rs 785 hydraulic mechanical shifters and grx rear mech. They are now paired up to xt calipers because the originals started leaking. Would upgrading the shifters to grx 810 be a worthy exercise? The current shifters still perform well but I am aware the are now the oldest part on my current bike!

claudie

@100psi, I have the same shifters as you and the original calipers are BR-RS685. I recently replaced one of the calipers like for like. Out of curiosity why did you choose an XT caliper, are they easier to set up? Thanks

bigyan
    Free Member

Out of curiosity why did you choose an XT caliper, are they easier to set up?

Normally due to stock availability.

P20

I prefer the shape of GRX, (especially braking from the hoods) but there’s very little wrong with my ultegra on the road bike. I use normal drops on both bikes, others may find difference with flared bars

100psi
    Free Member

I chose xt for 2 reasons one was availability of post mount calipers versus flat mount and the other was I have xt on the mtb so now my spares are interchangeable! Also the bike is black and rhe colour of the xt was a better match 😁.
    It did cause a few problems as the xt use a banjo connector and the brs 685 used a straight compression connector.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mmmm refreshing new ideas from that YouTube guy.

Oh no wait luddites gonna luddite just like 1992.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.