Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Brand x HT-01 frame
  • derms
    Free Member

Have a battered old full suspension bike that wouldn’t sell for much. Thinking of taking the parts of and putting into a cheap hardtail frame to use for local quick loops and maybe bike packing.

Anyone got any experience with this?
    https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobile/brand-x-ht-01-hardtail-mtb-frame-27-5-2019/rp-prod130452

Want to keep it as cheap as possible and my rear wheel is QR so wouldn’t have to buy a single part for it. Although the fork is 140mm which is a smidge higher than recommended

Cheers

Poopscoop

I don’t own one but I know some do on here so hopefully you’ll get some feedback.

From memory the owners were pleased with the frames.

boxwithawindow
    Free Member

Worth checking the seatpost and headset will swap over too

trumpton
    Free Member

The reviews on the crc website used to be good with people running longer forks too

joebristol

I think it’s the previous generation Vitus Sentier frame – I’ve just bought one to build up as a budget bike for my 14 year old nephew. I’ve seen some comments online that the bike came with either a 130mm or 140mm fork when it was a Vitus but I can’t find anything about it officially. I’d just go for it and see how it goes.

The only thing that’s out me off is the long seat tube vs shorter reach but it’s not awful either. I had the next gen Vitus Sentier myself and it was a riot.

trumpton
    Free Member

For the price it is just go for it.sure you will be pleased.

andy4d

I got one a couple of years ago to replace my old 26” hardtail. Took a while to build it as I scoured for bargains. I Picked up a bargain 120mm Fox fork for mine and run it 2×10 and have to say I really like riding it and use it as much as my full suss bike if I am honest. I ride mainly trail centers and it is well able. I don’t see you having  problems running a 140mm fork.

trumpton
    Free Member

Alot of people on the old reviews ran it 26inch too which worked well

happybiker
    Free Member

I’ve bought the smallest frame for my 9 year old son and running it with 120mm Fox fork, 26″ wheels and a Works angleset. Seems well made, fairly chunky box section stays etc. For the price you can’t go wrong.

sirromj

Got one for commuting, with rigid fork (49cm a2c) also transferred components from 26″ bike, 1×9, SLX brakes, etc. No problems with it. I’ve been riding my Bird Zero TR a lot since lockdown/furloughed and when I got back on the BX it did feel short – Both are medium sized frames.

IF you’re interested in bike packing and are thinking of frame bags, it’s quite a small triangle but the Ortlieb Frame Pack 4L fits perfectly (they also do a 6L version). Intending to use it for commuting when I need to minimal transfer of stuff, but will need additional packing options when taking a full set of clothes.

joebristol

Can’t wait for this frame to arrive now – even though it’s not going to be mine.

Love building bikes – apart from lots of stupid standards. I’m ok with most of them but headsets tend to be the thing that stumps me most. Hoping what I’ve ordered fits this one – although if it doesn’t I know it’ll fit my bike when that needs a new one (plus this one is anodised red – which I’d actually like for my bike anyway)!

derms
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. For the price i cant ask for much more

was more worried about people saying it snapped first go or is super weird geometry or something but it appears like it will do the job fine as a bit of a beater second bike

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I had one, picked up 2nd hand. The geometry was quite old with a steep head angle, felt high up, narrow tyre clearance. It’s possible it felt worse than it should have done because I had a size large and at 5’11” i think it was too big.

I sold it and got a Large Pinnacle Iroko frame in the end which i much prefer.

They were knocking them out at 75gbp new, but supply and demand i guess!

rossburton
    Free Member

My son has one, I was impressed for the price. No internal dropper routing but for a hack bike that’s not really a deal breaker.

jaymoid

Loving the subtle/stealth branding, I would quite like the option to buy a frame without branding. I think on-one should go this route as their branding spoils the look of their frames imho, it’s the logo on the down tube, the text on the top tube is ok!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I built one of these for my 12 year old with 26 wheels. He’s now 14 and earlier this year I put 27.5wheels in it and a 2 degree slack set.

Paint is brittle and geo is old skool. Fine for him, but not for me.

joebristol

The one I’ve bought is for my 14 year old nephew – who is a total beginner. I don’t think he’ll know anything different with regards head angle. 68 degrees isn’t awfully old school – although a 2 degree slack set would take it to the same as the current Vitus Sentier give or take.

Reach is a touch on the short side and the seat tube is a bit tall on the large but other than that I think it’ll do the job.

Not a frame I’d actually buy for myself – I had the newer Sentier which was actually brilliant in medium at 5’9. Very playful but did alright on steep technical stuff (better than I manage it) – it was only on longer rides the back end was quite stiff and at higher speeds it felt less stable than my fs.

pembo6
    Free Member

I had mine setup as 150mm fork with 26” wheels. Was great fun. Worst quality pain job ever though! I also drilled mine for a stealth dropper. Worked great. Now sits one of the kids bikes different fork and cheap Alivio drivetrain.

Jordan

I got two of these frames recently still waiting to be built into cheap bikes for taking on the camper for me and OH.

@happybiker
    and @Scienceofficer could you point me in the direction of the angle sets you used please?

Jordan

Thanks @happybiker !

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Brand x HT-01 frame’ is closed to new replies.