Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Braking Questions for a semi newbie
  • akaskittles
    Free Member

So, my issue is i don’t feel comfy using the front brake on rough steep terrain, but i always end up chewing though my rear pads like pizza :/
    i know that the front brake is the main one, but on steeper terrain, i feel like it’s a bad idea to use the front. So i always end up using the rear. So my question is, how should i use brakes on steeper terrain?

My second Question is that i want to get a bigger rotor for my rear brake but the mounting bracket for the caliper says 160mm max (which i feel is darn weak) The calipers are tektro auriga comp they have decent power but The rear feels isn’t very powerful… Can i put a bigger disc on somehow or should i just ditch this shit and get some 4 piston madness? What is the best brake set for under £150?

thanks. (i’m probably ranting but oh well)

wattsymtb
    Free Member

Do your braking in a straight line before any sharp corners. don’t brake hard enough to lock the front up.

Are you worried about going over the front or locking up and losing the front wheel?

You will get more than twice the braking power you are currently getting by using the front.

Also, I don’t know those brakes but you shouldn’t need bigger than a 160mm disk if it was a decent brake.

cultsdave
    Free Member

[/quote] What is the best brake set for under £150

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-m615-disc-brake/rp-prod108802

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=50&products_id=200

These brakes are brilliant and not just for the money. As powerful as the xt ones just heavier. Prob best getting new rotors too I would suggest superstar rotors. The whole set up will be less than £100 and much better than tektros.

Also learn to use the front!

dantsw13

The simple answer is brake less and ride it out!! Braking generally brings your weight forwards, when you want to be nice and neutral.

What does the back brake do on steeper terrain? Skid the back wheel mainly. Next time you are on an easy incline, grab your back brake, and watch it skid. Then try again, but squeeze both levers together, and marvel at the difference.

Learn to modulate your brakes (pull them gently, not grab them).

Drop your heels and wrists when descending. This puts your weight through your pedals when braking, instead of going over the bars!

faustus

Should be about a 70/30 front to rear brake split. There’s so much more power at the front – that’s where you need a bigger rotor/caliper. Cars have a similar braking bias, as when you brake, your weight and that of the bike get pushed forwards, so the front is what you need to concentrate on. As said above, brake before obstacles and roll through the techy stuff, rear wheel bias will loose you control, and it kills the trails too, that’s what causes all those hideous braking bumps just before corners.

Perhaps you need to try it out a bit and gain confidence using the front brake more, it’ll improve your riding no end…then treat yourself to a shimano saint front brake!

akaskittles
    Free Member

I’m worried about going over the bars 😀 it hurts, thanks for the advice, also do you know anything about “glazing over”? i think i could of done that to my rear brake – probably the reason it feels like shite. Idea’s on how to fix it?

Regards.

dantsw13

New pads!! £20 for 4 sets at Superstar.

Painey
    Free Member

Learn to modulate your brakes (pull them gently, not grab them).

Drop your heels and wrists when descending. This puts your weight through your pedals when braking, instead of going over the bars!

Spot on advice. Can’t really describe how you learn to get fine braking control as it can depend on how well your brakes are functioning.

Maybe give your brakes a bit of an overhaul (should they not be at their best or not inspiring confidence) and practice speed control on less steep terrain. Familiarise yourself with that and combine it with getting your weight in the right place on the bike (see comment about wrists/heels) and it should make you less worried about using the front brake.

dantsw13

I get the worry about falling off, we’ve all been there. Sadly, braking is often the worst thing to do in a tricky situation. Brake early to control speed, then let the bike roll over the obstacle, whilst staying loose (pedals level, arms & legs bent, don’t sit down)

dantsw13

PS – if I could do it as well as I tell it, I’d fall off far less often!!

akaskittles
    Free Member

This is my second set of rear pads on a 2month old bike, i must be doing something wrong, I read somewhere that sanding the rotor and pads lightly will dramatically increase performance. Also when changing pads, it’s it advised to clean off the rotor? get rid of the old pad material?

theotherjonv

many others have given good advice, only thing I’d add is that once your wheel locks, it’s not braking particularly well and you can’t steer with it either. Better to be able to steer imho than be locked up and front wheel sliding.

You need to find some steep downhills but with good roll outs, and session them working on finding that point where the wheels are just rolling still. If your brakes are any good, you’ll be surprised how effective they are. Grassy muddy banks are good – they don’t need to be long.

It’s very hard to explain in written words, it’s all about feel, and that comes with practice. Hence why a slope with a good roll out is ideal – when it feels wrong, let go and roll out, and then try again.

faustus

Sanding pads can help breathe a bit of life into them, but also make sure you don’t contaminate them with oil or similar product when cleaning/lubing. If you’ve been for a filthy ride then clean them off thoroughly with water, as grit will kill them. Also, when you buy new pads, ask for sintered/metal pads as these last a lot longer than organic/resin ones.

You’re going through pads very quickly – i’m on my third set of pads on the front, but i’ve had the brake for 8 years and used it on everything including Snowden and l’Alpe d’Huez!

alexpalacefan

Get yourself on a skills course.

APF

akaskittles
    Free Member

I don’t lock my brakes up, i just don’t get the power i expect from decent hydraulic brakes. Next time i ride i’ll take all your advice into consideration and try to implement it. I think i’ll end up getting a better set of brakes and for the mean time, pads, i have resin in the rear and metallic in the front. Thanks for the advice lads! should help me a ton!

akaskittles
    Free Member

Get yourself on a skills course.

APF
    The only reason i would is to learn to brake properly, easier to do myself with advice from here and friends 🙂 i’m a better biker than it may seem, but braking is my weak point. The simple fix is stop being a pussy and use ya front brake 😀

Painey
    Free Member

Try riding down a steep flight of stairs. You probably won’t manage that safely without using the front brake!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Front brake has all the power, but it only really works safely in a straight line. Back brake works a bit for comfort, but don’t over do it. You can use the back brake to square off corners by making it lose traction, under some circumstances. Consequently:

1. Brake only when it is safe to brake i.e. no braking when rolling over anything steep or knarly, or cornering. Braking here could send you over the bars. Keep in a neutral position with no braking

2. Always look to your next braking zone down-trail i.e. where it is safe to brake because traction looks OK and you will be going straight-ish, and plan to brake only when you get there. And brake hard with both brakes, briefly resisting the braking forces by briefly dropping your heels and wrists.

3. Then, let go of the brakes, take a neutral position again, standing on the pedals, and roll over the next bit

4. And so on. The result is overall higher speed and growing confidence as you have maximised traction, control and safety by making the bike behave nicely, when it is most needed.

It gets more complicated when the entire track is steep and knarly with no obvious braking zones!

ddmonkey

IMHO its better to ease off the front brake in steep rough stuff, so the fork is diving less and your weight is not being pitched forward. Obviously if you have to stop the using the front and rear brake 50:50 should be fine.

In order to get more comfortable with the front brake try doing endos or stoppies on the flat and also try rolling down a steep bank as slowly as you can without locking the wheels – you’ll be amazed how slowly you an go down really steep slopes if your weight is well back.

The main stopping power will come from the front brake generally in all situations as that is where the load and therefore the grip is. You will only go over the bars if you lock it up…

akaskittles
    Free Member

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

As has been said. Get comfortable with rolling steeper stuff without braking, slow in fast out is a cliche, but works.

The minute you panic and grab a handful you overload the front, which will either result in an OTB moment or a washout. It takes some nerve, but build up to it making a concious decision not to brake. If you have to moderate your speed on a steep, be gentle and progressive, smoothness is key to avoid fork dive, and use both brakes.

faustus

Dropping wrists and heels is a very good thing to practice, and works very well as the others have described. It will stop the feeling of being pitched over the bars. It’s also worth checking your tyres aren’t too hard, as the bike will feel more ‘scrabbly’ and wheels will lock more easily: you’ll get more grip at the right pressure.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Remove back brake. You’ll soon get used to it.

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Also worth checking the position of your brake levers, many people tip them right down which forces you to roll your wrists over the grips. If you tip them up to a more horizontal position, when you hit small bumps/rocks/ledges you’ll be pushing the bars over them with the bottom of your palm which is a strong position, and again makes you less likely to go OTB.

akaskittles
    Free Member

Also worth checking the position of your brake levers, many people tip them right down which forces you to roll your wrists over the grips. If you tip them up to a more horizontal position, when you hit small bumps/rocks/ledges you’ll be pushing the bars over them with the bottom of your palm which is a strong position, and again makes you less likely to go OTB.

going to try that! i have them at errm in a slightly angled down position at the mo i’ll drop them down to a point where it looks stupid lol

pymwymis
    Free Member

If you can’t lock up your back brake with a hydraulic system (any hydraulic system no matter how bad) then either said system needs a bleed or your pads are badly contaminated.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Braking Questions for a semi newbie’ is closed to new replies.