Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Brake squat causing pinch flats?
  • Kit
    Free Member

Or perhaps just bad riding… 😕

I'm finding that I'm getting loads more pinch flats on my Hustler (faux-bar) compared with my old Reign (Maestro VPP). Aside from the slight difference in travel, I'm fairly convinced that the stiffening of the faux-bar design under braking is the culprit, as my riding style has not really changed, and I'm not riding anything rougher (or even particularly rough in the first place) than I used to.

Another posibility is that the rear shock is in dire need of a service and isn't reacting very well to sudden hits at speed…

Anyway, I'm thinking of ditching the frame for something else which would suit my riding style better but wondering if anyone's had similar experiences with the Hustler, or other frames such as Konas. An alternative might be to go tubeless of course!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I'd be surprised if that was the only reason – I found that the maestro was horribly innactive under hard braking.

nuke

What suspension designs remain active during hard braking? Found my Superlight with its singlepivot was inactive during braking but I don't recall the same issue with my Ellsworth Truth.

Dougal
    Free Member

Doubt it has anything to do with the change in the suspension action. Maybe a slightly different geometry causes you to move your weight about differently?

Just pump the tyres up a bit more. If you're pinching more often, then it's likely at the same pressure as the old bike you'll get more grip.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

nuke

What suspension designs remain active during hard braking?

Not suspension but, a floating brake arm really does help the sus to remain active under braking. Pretty irrelevant here though.

Kit
    Free Member

a floating brake arm really does help the sus to remain active under braking.

Hence why Kona adopted it for their bigger bikes.

If I pumped my tyres up any harder, they'd be at a stupid pressure and give me miles less grip. They're probably pumped to about 35-40psi already.

Mugboo

My mate has an 08 Reign and is flatting for fun, sometimes twice a ride.

I suggested this might be down to having the Propedal on all the time??

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Differnt tyres?

Dougal
    Free Member

It sounds like you're not very scientific about tyre pressures, so maybe you've run lower tyre pressures recently? How about going tubeless?

Kit
    Free Member

Differnt tyres?

Yup, doesn't seem to make a difference.

It sounds like you're not very scientific about tyre pressures, so maybe you've run lower tyre pressures recently? How about going tubeless?

I use a £20 track pump and air escapes on removing the head so it's never going to be a very exact number, and is no more/less exact than with my previous bike. Problem is, as alluded to, that if I pump the tyre hard enough that I think it'll avoid pinch-flatting, the loss of grip is not acceptable. And yes, I was thinking of tubeless (but not forking out for tubeless kits for 5.1D rims!).

13thfloormonk

I think the air escaping from the pump is doing exactly that, escaping from the pump! The valve on the tube should close before you lose the seal at the pump head, so the air you hear hissing out is the pressurised air from inside the pump.

unless of course your pump is knackered.

Still doesn't answer your original question though!

doug_basqueMTB.com

I run a hustler on rocks almost every day and am not suffering any problems like that despite using 203mm Codes F&R. Using 819's and running Big Earls 2.35 (tubeless), HR 2.35 LUSTS (with tubes 'cos they're rubbish UST tyres), Larson 2.25 I think (tubes) and HR 2.5 UST's. I ride stuff like this a lot which (you mignt not be able to tell from the picture) is very rocky and if you're feeling lucky very very fast:
    (clicky biggy)

Here's my suggestions:
    1. Suspension knackered like you say. Surely you'd feel this though. Anything?
    2. Big ding in your wheel which is causing pinches. Are they at the same part of the wheel all the time?? Have you checked that?
    3. You have a thorn in your tyre giving you a slow flat each time you put your tube in. Your pressure is dropping over time and then you pinch! I'm guessing this isn't the case because you'd notice it going soft between rides assuming you check your pressure before each ride??

Kit
    Free Member

Hi doug, thanks for the comments from a fellow owner. And those are exactly the kind of trails I love riding! Current tyre on the back is a 2.35 High Roller, and previously was a 2.1 Nevegal.

1. The bushes have gone on the shock, and have been like that for a while, and there's also wear on the shock shaft, so this is maybe the answer. Certainly the ride isn't as 'plush' as full-sussers that friends own, comparing back-to-back.

2. I'll have a wee look tonight, but externally there's nothing I have seen. These wheels certainly get a lot less abuse than the 717's on the hardtail, which I rarely pinch flat on.

3. Nah, tyres stay inflated.

I'm a bit of a brake dragger too – tend to sit on the brakes a lot, but will see what comes of giving the shock a service.

Kramer
    Free Member

I'm pinch flatting a lot these days too, mainly because I'm hitting bigger stuff at higher speeds, and don't have the confidence to let it roll, I think.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Brake squat causing pinch flats?’ is closed to new replies.