Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)
  • Light sensors cause religious row
  • Stoner
    Free Member

oldgit – as I quoted, I dont think they care about sparks anymore. Just to be awkward they now seem to consider completing a circuit is akin to “building” which is bad and naughty. So naughty!

aP
    Free Member

does my local pub have to stop serving alcohol during Ramadan

How does that work then? or is this MailWorld and I’d forgotten.

surfer
    Free Member

How does that work then? or is this MailWorld and I’d forgotten.

Maybe, but it is a valid question.

IanMunro
    Free Member

As I understand based on that one article it would seem a similar analogy imo.
    The couple want to alter the lighting arangement of a communal service to fit there personal religous dogma.
    Their argument for wanting them changed seems flawed anyway. These lights appear to be out of their control and not switched on by them, and it seems no different to wanting a 3rd party such as neighbor not to switch lights on and off.

david_r
    Free Member

Surely they can just remove the light bulbs? problem solved.

surfer
    Free Member

Surely they can just remove the light bulbs? problem solved.

That would impact on the safety of others using the communal area and I would deem as vandalism.

aP
    Free Member

Suggestions of stopping pubs selling alcohol during Ramadan is knee jerk, right wing ignorance. Muslim colleagues of mine don’t expect me to stopping eating or drinking during daylight hours.

IanMunro
    Free Member

My take on this was that the OP wasn’t suggesting that this was the thin end of the wedge and Muslims were going to start to demand this, but was pointing out that they don’t make such requests because it’s daft.

surfer
    Free Member

Suggestions of stopping pubs selling alcohol during Ramadan is knee jerk, right wing ignorance. Muslim colleagues of mine don’t expect me to stopping eating or drinking during daylight hours.

Because it does not happen in practice still makes it a valid question given the law referred to on the previous page.
    My point is that the law is misguided.

aP
    Free Member

Oh Ian – you’re so sensible 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Suggestions of stopping pubs selling alcohol during Ramadan is knee jerk, right wing ignorance.

And its not ignorance so you may want to modify your tone.

bassspine
    Free Member

The residents association where they live have offered to fit a manual switch so the lights could be left on for them, but the couple would then have to pay their legal expenses themselves. If they win the case, they don’t pay… here

DrJ

It does happen in practice. In my own experience: at my “leaving do” from my last job, no alcohol was served at dinner at the request of a Muslim colleague observing Ramadan.

timber

why have they made it out the door? if they are supposed to do nothing, why have they even got out of bed?

and I believe that if there is a light in a dark hallway that it should be on to save me falling on the stairs – thats my belief and I’m sticking to it, self-preservationist

Pook
    aP
    Free Member

no alcohol was served at dinner at the request of a Muslim colleague observing Ramadan

I trust that they didn’t eat anything before dusk?

Stoner
    Free Member

why have they made it out the door? if they are supposed to do nothing, why have they even got out of bed?

I think it’s something to do with “eruvs” and homes and stuff…let me go find the Wiki entry on it. I remember something about one in golders green being the largest in Europe or something when I lived up that way…

DrJ

I trust that they didn’t eat anything before dusk?

Correct. Or at least before 8pm which was the arbitrarily chosen “official dusk” in this part of the world.

grumm
    Free Member

From Stoner’s link

A community Eruv (Hebrew: ????? mixture, also transliterated as Eiruv or Erub, plural: Eruvim) refers to the legal aggregation or “mixture” under Jewish religious property law of separate parcels of property meeting certain requirements into a single parcel held in common by all the holders of the original parcels, which enables Jews who observe the traditional rules concerning Shabbat to carry children and belongings anywhere within the jointly held property without transgressing the prohibition against carrying a burden across a property line on the Jewish sabbath. The legal aggregation is set up to have effect on the Sabbath day only; on other days of the week, including Yom Tov (with the exception of Yom Kippur), ordinary property ownership applies. A valid aggregation has a number of requirements including an agreement among the property-holders and an aggregation ritual.
    One of the requirements of a valid aggregation is that all the parcels must lie within a chatzer, or walled courtyard. For this reason, this type of aggregation is more properly known as an eruv chatzerot (Hebrew: ???? ??????), an “aggregation of courtyards,” to distinguish it from other types of rabbinically-ordained mixture procedures which also have the name eruv.
    In modern times, when housing is not typically organized into walled courtyards, rabbinic interpretation has permitted this requirement to be met by creating a continuous wall or fence, real or symbolic, surrounding the area to be aggregated. The fence is required to have certain properties and consist of structural elements such as walls or doorframes. When the fence is symbolic, the structural elements are often symbolic “doorframes” made of wire, with two vertical wires (often connected to utility poles) and one horizontal wire on top connecting them (often using utility wires). The use of symbolic elements permits an eruv to make use of utility poles and the like to enclose an entire neighborhood of a modern city within the legal aggregation. In contemporary Jewish discourse, “an eruv” frequently refers to this symbolic “fence” which creates and denotes the boundaries of a symbolic “walled courtyard” in which a halakhicly (religiously) valid property aggregation can take place, rather than to the aggregation or legal status of the properties.

Seriously, if I started coming out with this kind of stuff, and it didn’t have the supposed legitimacy lent by being called a religion, I would be sectioned.

surfer
    Free Member

I think we are missing the point.

Even as an Atheist I have little interest in peoples beliefs and I will form my own opinions on their basis in fact and will form a view of the holder.
    However when individuals who hold these beliefs benefit financially then we need to ask ourselves some serious questions about the role religion plays in our society.
    Given the tough choices made daily by politicians regarding the distribution of scarce financial resources. I think it is wrong that religion (in any form) benefits disproportionately and by definition at the expense of more deserving causes such as health care and education.

Olly
    Free Member

i was under the impression that they wernt allowed to switch on the lights on the sabbath as it was seen as “work”

but having a light that switches itself on would be fine surely :S

and doing whatever it is the involves leaving the flat on the sabbath isnt work?

this is of course as i recall from what i was taught by “Nige” in RE at school, so possibly utter toss

IanMunro
    Free Member

I think we need to ask –
    What would Jesus do?

bigdawg
    Free Member

thats crap – its manual work or labour thats ‘banned’ on the sabbath (saturday to them) – Ive been to israel loads of times and never seen an orthodox jew not turn a light on when it was dark – on saturdays most of the lifts in israel just stop at every floor so they dont have to press the button – an automatic light is probably used in half of israel on saturday in winter…(which by the way is around 20 degrees)

G
    Free Member

All this proves to me is that religious fundamentalists of all flavours are just that : Mentalists!

IMHO, we should repatriate all animals kept in zoos and research institutes and substitute them with this type of zealot, then we can experiment to find the cause of this lunacy and deepen the shallow end of the gene pool by eradicating them. In the meantime we can enjoy ourselves by imitating them boorishly and throwing peanuts at them.

Sorted.

aracer
    Free Member

an automatic light is probably used in half of israel on saturday in winter…(which by the way is around 20 degrees)

Which raises the thought – do they freeze in winter? According to where this thing about electricity is coming from, they’re not allowed a flame, so that rules out everything other than electric. If it’s just the switching on and off that’s the problem, then they can presumably just put the electric radiators on before the Sabbath – though as I mentioned above, presumably thermostats are also banned, so they’ll be getting rather hot if they get it wrong, as they obviously can’t switch them off.

I’ve got nothing at all against religion – I reckon people should have the right to believe what they want to and practice in any way which doesn’t impact on other people. However if they want to live in the normal world with other people they have to accept some things in the normal world – if they want the stairs in the block of flats to conform to their beliefs then they should go and live in a Jew only block of flats. How about I set up a religion which mandates the use of automatic light switches and go and buy the flat next door to them. I reckon the least they deserve is a huge legal bill – if they win and dump the legal bill on their neighbours I can’t see them being very popular.

thomthumb
    Free Member

they don’t have to live there, surely?

scaredypants

thomthumb – Member
    they don’t have to live there, surely?

seems the switches went in AFTER they got there

BigDummy
    Free Member

The idea of a “jew only block of flats” seems basically sound, but I think we need to work on the branding a little.

There is a reason that Amish live in their own little clumps, presumably it does make everyhting rather easier. 🙂

longweight
    Free Member

The needs of the many out weigh the needs of the few

Trimix
    Free Member

I cant believe we are discussing this issue and trying to understand how their belief works or could work.

We should be educating these people so they can see its all just make believe.

We should not support, encourage or make allowance for any religion. For example – on the one hand society has finaly grown up and realised homosexuals and women deserve respect and equal status yet we then have to respect religious believers who deny any respect to these two groups.

Its a flipping fairy tale, there should not be laws forcing us to respect made up beliefs. The law should encourage them to wake up and realise there is no god no heaven and no hell. (unless your a singlespeeder of course)

mudshark
    Free Member

The law should encourage them to wake up and realise there is no god no heaven and no hell.

What sort of law would that be?!

BTW, I assume Jewish prostitutes aren’t allowed to ply their trade on the Sabbath but are they allowed to give it away for free?

Stoner
    Free Member

as long as they’re not “working”. So i guess that means they can’t go on top? 🙂

G
    Free Member

Trimix – Member
    ……….the one hand society

Tell me more, I’m interested to know more of this, I am fully equipped and ambidextrous, but given that due to a minor [ahem] “kit impairment” one hand is in fact plenty. Also is it my hand or that of another, (possibly slender) individual?? Which day of the week is the special day, as Sunday and Wednesday are out of the equation, being as they are, riding days.

Further info welcome 8)

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

The idea of a “jew only block of flats” seems basically sound

yeah, lets invade a nice predominantly mulsim area and build it there without their permission. then we can slowly but surely start stripping the surrounding locals of their human rights.

all for the greater good obviously.

😕

BigDummy
    Free Member

And the line is now astern and receding fast. 🙄

AlasdairMc

I thought I’d be the first to mention Godwin’s Law on this thread, but it seems that point has been passed with

The idea of a “jew only block of flats” seems basically sound

Ah well…

BigDummy
    Free Member

I think the point is not that they should be forced into their own block of flats, but that these difficulties might be alleviated somewhat if people who are so orthodox did pool their resources. I suspect 80% or more of jews in Bournemouth do not have this problem, and therefore do not “cause a religious row” over environmentally-friendly light switches. Those who do, while they are entitled to do and think whatever they want might find their lives easier if they had their own hallway with Sabbath compliant light switches. 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

but that these difficulties might be alleviated somewhat if people who are so orthodox did pool their resources. I suspect 80% or more of jews in Bournemouth do not have this problem

If we ceased any funding then I wonder how many would become slightly less observant and more pragmatic?
    Does funding increase the degree of observance in some areas?

phiiiiil

Hehehehehe

They also said that their solicitors told them they had a strong claim.

Their solicitors are hardly going to say “actually you haven’t the slightest chance of winning so you might as well not give us loads of money after all”, are they?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 107 total)

The topic ‘Light sensors cause religious row’ is closed to new replies.