Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Brake pad help
  • marco
    Free Member

Is it common for one pad to come out of the housing leaving just one pad left? One of my pads fell out today while on a boggy moor! leaving a caliper and one pad to help stop the bike. a front one too!
    I only had them fitted 2 weeks ago too!

racing_ralph
    Free Member

no

spooky_b329

The whole pad fell out or just the friction material, leaving the backplate infront of the piston? I’va had the friction material fall out a few times, and not only ‘those’ pads

marco
    Free Member

No the whole pad fell out. Just noticed the cotter(?) pin has com out too. obviously not fitted back in correctly

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

For the pad to come out something was not fitted correctly. If it was fitted by your LBS I would be in there to ask why. Very dangerous.

marco
    Free Member

Yeam my lbs fitted the pads. only been out a few times since. Just rung them now. i can take it back in for new pads fitting. no charge. very dangerous i agree.

glenh
    Free Member

If the pad came out totally the it’s likely the piston on that side will have been damaged by the rotor.
    Make sure the shop sorts a new piston/caliper too if that’s the case.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Marco – good response from your LBS.

Anyone can make mistakes – its the response to mistakes that shows how good they are.

Olly
    Free Member

what brakes?

shimanos and hopes are bolted in.
    avids and hayes should be held in by the spring, but spring tension can cause a loose pad
    i always add an extra bit of bend to my hayes springs, to hold them in tighter

(just out of interest)

marco
    Free Member

they are shimanos so should have been bolted in.
    TandemJeremy – Just hope my LBS dont try and con me. last time i only took bike in for a £10 rear mech service. £45 and new pads all round later – without consulting me either. they said pads were really worn down. they showed me the old pads and they were worn but they should have asked 1st!!

Gordymac
    Free Member

Not all Shimanos are bolted in, which Shimanos do you have?

lightman
    Free Member

marco – Member

TandemJeremy – Just hope my LBS dont try and con me. last time i only took bike in for a £10 rear mech service. £45 and new pads all round later – without consulting me either. they said pads were really worn down. they showed me the old pads and they were worn but they should have asked 1st!!

And you still use the shop after that!!!!!!!

I would find another LBS!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Brake pad help’ is closed to new replies.