Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Brake hose as shifter hose?
  • rossburton
    Free Member

I’ve a length of Jagwire CEX outer which is brake cable. I need new shifter outer… will I die or have other problems if I use brake outer for shifter? Is there a genuine difference or is brake outer just tougher so there’s no problem?

tthew

By hose, I assume you mean outer.

It’s a larger internal diameter which may affect indexing accuracy.

LimboJimbo

Brake outer is wider and wound like a coil so it resists compression. As long as the ferrules aren’t too big to fit at either end, you’ll probably be fine. I suppose there’s more room for crud so it’s maybe not a long term solution though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

IIRC, cex is spiral wound brake housing so it will compress slightly and throw the indexing out. Gear cable is made with longitudinal wire strand to avoid this.

rossburton
    Free Member

Hmm ok, good reasons I guess.

Phil_H

What onzadog said!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah as above… I actually tried this in an emergency when my gear cable snapped and mashed the outer with no spare. Works initially but needed to constantly adjust tension due to compression and good indexing was pretty much impossible. Might work on 9 speed setups where indexing easier but on 12 speed impossible

bikerevivesheffield

Buuuuuut Shimano do wound gear outer as opposed to longitudinal wire so may well work

thols2

Brake cable housing are wound so that they don’t split under heavy load. Brake cable outer will work in an emergency as a gear cable, but may be difficult to index. Gear cable outers have longitudinal strands to avoid compression. They can burst under heavy load so should never be used as a brake cable outer.

wheelsonfire1

Only the cheaper Shimano gear outer cables are spiral wound, the quality items have longitudinal strands to resist compression. A minuscule amount of compression can affect shifting on “modern” systems. Brake outers are usually 5mm external diameter and gear outers 4mm so compatibility with shifters, mechs and cable stops may also be an issue.
    Hope this helps.

Aidy
    Free Member

Buuuuuut Shimano do wound gear outer as opposed to longitudinal wire so may well work

I don’t think I’ve ever seen spiral wound gear outer.

I’m kinda wondering how well compressionless brake outer would work.

jamj1974

IRC, cex is spiral wound brake housing so it will compress slightly and throw the indexing out. Gear cable is made with longitudinal wire strand to avoid this

This.

bikerevivesheffield

@aidy I’ve a box full in the workshop from Madison

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve ever seen spiral wound gear outer.

I didn’t think it was a thing either, but I’ve definitely repaired friends’ bikes (BSO’s not “real” bikes) with spiral wound gear outers.

But then wehn I google OT-SIS40 the part that comes up is the cheaper of the complete Shimano shift cable kits (i.e. the one with unsealed ends and sp40 rather than sp41 (which IIRC was just whether they have grease pre-applied in the outer).

[edit crossed post]

wheelsonfire1

@rossburton I’ve sent you a direct message!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

what thols2 said.

Although using gear outer for braking does actually provide a firmer lever, and thus more power, so I have used that in the past. I’d not recommend it to others though…

smiffy

I worked on a Giant Sportif bike a decade ago and all the cables at the front end were 5mm brake hose to the first stop. A funny shaped bike but it all seemed to work.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Brake hose as shifter hose?’ is closed to new replies.