Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Braemar – where to stay?
  • clareymorris

We are going up to th cairnorms with bikes for a week at the end of the month and I've been looking at accommodation. The main problem is I don't know the area very well. I would like a cottage / lodge type, and the only essential criteria is a decent pub within walking distance. It doesn't have to be actually in Bramar, but roundabout that area.

Would be well chuffed to hear any thoughts and recommendations guys:-)

druidh
    Free Member

Did you check out the previous thread on Braemar?

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/has-anyone-been-to-braemar

I've stayed in the Braemar Lodge Hotel, which also has its own chalets. The food in the restaurant is superb and there's a wee bar stocked with a decent range of whiskies. The thread I linked to contains some other recommendations.

And anywhere in Braemar is "within walking distance" 🙂

myheadsashed

go up to Ballater and stay at Habitat……….google it.

fizzer
    Free Member

I've always stayed at the Youth hostel. There are no decent pubs in Braemar but the riding is superb. If you get good weather get up onto Ben Avon/Beinn a Bhuird.

kennyp
    Free Member

It's a bit out of town, but the NTS bunkhouse at Mar Lodge is one of the comfiest bunkhouses in the country.

Swayndo
    Free Member

I stayed at the Moorfield House Hotel earlier in the year. The owner couldn't do enough for us. Beer on arrival, washed and dried our gear for the next day (we were doing the 'Tour') and fixed up a big 3 course meal. A short walk down to the Fyfe Arms after dinner found Leffe And Hoegaarden on draught amongst many others and a decent craic with other walkers and bikers. Big breakfast in the morning too.

Would definitely recommend it.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Another recommendation for the Moorfield here. The local bikers ride from there too for evening rides.

myheadsashed
    Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I could give my mate Liz a shout she has a big house there that she doesn't use all year round. 😉

clareymorris

DruidH they wanted £700 for a lodge for a week……….seems a bit steep to me but could be the perils of rying to book late!!

OOOh, Liz's house. Does she usually let strangers stay?!?!

druidh
    Free Member

End of the month is the Bank Holiday weekend – i.e. peak period. I guess most places will be booked and/or expensive?

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

The Habitat bunkhouse in Ballater is excellent and not far from Braemar.

clareymorris

Apparently the kids are back at school so it drops a notch on the tariff but yes I think it is still popular and not too easy to find accommodation! I have found somewhere about 4 miles from Boat of Garten……is there much in the village. by much I mean as long as there is a pub and some food!!?

HAGGIS01
    Free Member

Hi – stay at Ballater and do this route !!
    http://www.mtb-routes-scotland.co.uk/loch_muick_circuit.htm
    and distance to braemar is only 10-20 miles to the likes of Linn of Dee.

Boat of Garten is a wee place , prob has a pub etc
    It also good for aviemore side for routes there

In return I notice you have a Fuel Ex 8 WSD size 15.5
    I test rode the WSD but found it too small, yet the standard one (with longer stem and handlebars) was so much better.
    I'm 5'5 and think I am not a typical women re legs and back length, I think you said you are 5'3 which makes me think the 15.5 is too smal for me ???
    Do you have any opinions or regrets re teh Fuel ex overall (I am assuming by your interest in braemar etc that you are doing the same choice of tracks/routes/crosscountry boulders etc as myself)

Shame I wont be around next weekend as its in my neck of the woods …

If you were to go to aberdeenshire area – try out pitfichie, scolty or kirkhill – lots of mix match there – not graded just some forests on a hills !!! could spend a couple of hours to a whole day in the each area …

clareymorris

Hi Haggis 🙂

That route is on the must do list – but that web site looks great, I'll have a look through just to get some more ideas and confirm current plans!!

I do have a 15.5 EX8 but it a mans and actually i'm 5"7' I just like smaller bikes! I found most mediums etc were just that bit too big so I couldn't manouver about, but womens bikes seem to be TOO short in the top tube. I would say for your height it would be absolutely spot on. I didn't expect to like it so much, but it's a cracking bike. really surefooted and capable and I ride rocky lakes stuff most of the time (take off the stock tyres though they are RUBBISH!). If you get a chance to try one go for it. I'll be bringing my hardtail up next week cus MrCm is on a hardtail singlespeed so it makes us more evenly matched, oh and it's my fave bike!!!

Looking like we may stay in or just outside Carrbridge as accommodation has been hard to find elsewhere. I have been there before and I'm sure I remember it being nice (was new year so alcohol levels were up at 100% for much of the trip!!!!)

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Clare…check this out. We stayed here 2 yrs ago and loved it!
    It's available form Sat 29th and costs £465 for the week. It's about a mile or 5mins ride from Boat of Garten. There's a restaurant, shop etc…didn't go to the pub but I'm sure there must be one!!

http://www.chapeltoncottage.co.uk/

clareymorris

Hey that looks lovely – I'll show it to tom and see what he thinks. Cheers FC x 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Just done a google…there is one hotel in Boat of Garten with a bar!!
    Loads of bars in Aviemore…you'll just have to get a taxi!

clareymorris

Hotel + bar = good 😉

Hal
    Free Member

If you stay in Braemar or Ballater give us a shout as the braemar chapter of our club rides out on a Monday. http://www.9zerofreewheelers.co.uk we ride out every second Sunday and are planning the trip that haggis 01 was recomending. 8)

clareymorris

Hal that sounds great. I'll take the details with me and hopefully come join you. Checked out the photos and it looks fab 😀

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Clare…have you got some accom. sorted?

clareymorris

Yep looking good with a lodge up at Carrbridge. Good spot for about 5 of the rides in Kenny Wilsons book so I'm happy!!!

Thanks for the cottage recommendation though, will maybe check that out another time 🙂

HAGGIS01
    Free Member

Hi Clare

thanks for feedback re Fuel ex 8

My dilema is that I have a chance of a very much used, but fully serviced blokes 15.5 for £900 ish, or a hardly been touched WSD 15.5 for £1000. Add the change of stem and bars and things that then increases to £1100'ish.

Both ex demo and both with full warranty.

I am judging that since the WSD 15.5 is exactly the same frame/sizes (although some websites other than trek appear to say different ??). Hence best deal would be to buy hardly used WSD and change it to be more the standard spec ? BE GREAT IF ANYONE CAN ARGUE AGAINST OR FOR THIS IDEA ..

I agree the 15.5 is ideally my size … just making choice and getting on with playing …. just that 900 or 1100 is a one off buy for me with my budget for this year and the next ….

Arrrrggggghhh!

hope you enjoy the cairngorms

FoxyChick
    Free Member

You're better off in Carrbridge anyway as probably more pubs and stuff!! 8)

Have fun!!!

clareymorris

Hi Haggis

The bike I demo'd was WSD, and really I can't remember much difference btween that and the one I bought! Saddle obviously………..what would you need to change the stem and bars to? I am looking on the Trek site now and the only difference I can see is the saddle!! Is the stem length different on the two you are looking at?

clareymorris

We stayed in Carrbridge which was great, and set off the do the Loch Muick route……..howeer we slightly mis-judged the distance from Carrbridge to Glen Clova though…….it was 90 MILES and took over 2 hours!!!!!

Basically we got there too late, and weather was "challenging" (riding up and down rivers), so we didn't get to do the full route. We stood at the top of the Coire Chash descent and had to turn back because we just did not have the time to complete it. Talk about tantalising!!!! We have already planned a weekend up somewhere like Dunkeld to give it another go!! What a pair of divs!!!!!

Anyway still had a fab time and did 3 other Kenny Wilson routes….Inshriach, Glen More (including all the Slugan singletrack) and a couple of circuits of Loch an Eilein. I have one thing to say about the Kenn Wilson book. If he says there i some extra singletrack or an alternative option, take it 😆 😆 😆

It has really whet my appetaite for the Cairngorms and would love to go back and do some bigger and higher routes!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Braemar – where to stay?’ is closed to new replies.