Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BPW today, brilliant. !
  • weeksy

BPW was a bit of an eye-opener for my lad in honesty. We stuck to the Blues but the descents were longer and rockier than in Leg Gets/Morzine, so a bit more intense in some ways. Throw in the fact it was went and slippery at times too, well he found it quite hard. He had a big crash on the 2nd run of the day which killed the instant momentum and speed he’d developed and was then a little more cautious.

However he showed grit and determination despite a few bruises etc to keep doing a bit more and picking up a bit of speed again. In simple terms he just got a little over-enthusiastic.

For me, it was a properly amazing day… Spending time at somewhere like BPW with your son, well you can’t top that really can you… You just can’t. Watching him learn, progress, build himself up, and at times knock himself down… Well it’s just fantastic. I had an absolute blast becuase at his speed the world for me is a little slower than usual, a little more time to see things, prepare jumps and pop off things i normally may not see until too later… So my riding day was just excellent too.

Can’t wait for the next one.

We’ve got an enduro race in about 6 weeks so we’ll be doing a few more trips to Swinley/FoD and BPW before then. :)

With regards to the busses/vans from a recent thread, every time we got to the bottom there were at least 2 if not 3 waiting for us there.. No issues with speed of loading, the trip up or anything, drivers were very polite too..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2aHThBp]2018-09-03_04-35-23[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

andykirk
    Free Member

What is BPW?

Rubber_Buccaneer
    hatter

How old’s the boy? My 6 year old is flying round Swinley blue now, but isn’t huge fan of climbing so I’m already having thoughts about taking him on an uplift.

weeksy

10 currently.

6 hhmmmm there’s kids there around that age, IMO it may be a little young, but hell, why not… It’s rocky and fast, but nothing impossible i’d guess….. but i think wheel size may be the bigger stumbling block, i think it’s 24″ or bigger only…. I’d check their website.

Akers

There were a couple of 7 year olds riding the blue runs on  20” wheeled bikes when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Good luck to them I say!

tdog
    Free Member

I had good intentions to go checkout BPW a while back but was let down by bloke running the transport moaning bout not enough riders signing up for the journey.

ffs!

one day BPW, you shall meet your maker muwhahaha!

😀

Ambrose

Good efforts, well done. I remember having to up my game a bit trying to follow that shirt last summer- man he was fast. Oh to be young and fearless again.

DezB
    Free Member

Spending time at somewhere like BPW with your son, well you can’t top that really can you… You just can’t. 

With you there Weeksy! You really can’t top it.

Last trip I crashed trying to keep up with my 15 year old.

BPW texted me today to ask if I had recovered!

(Last year)

andy4d

Nice one Dad. Great memories for you and your lad.

My 12 year old is not mad into the mtb despite my gentle coaxing, but I have managed to persuade him to join me on a few short loops of our local trail centre over the summer. Then on Saturday he asked if I would take him on the 20km loop….i jumped at the chance, but was unsure he would have the legs for it……he was slow and steady on the downs but the bugger was like a whipet on the ups, fat dad carrying the backpack/water and sarnies struggled to keep up. Good times.

sirromj

Can’t wait until mine is riding properly! He’s had a balance bike since Christmas but it’s only in the past few weeks that he’s started riding it.

Can only hope he’s not going to do anything too daring after the amount of Sam Pilgrim videos on youtube I’ve played to him.

jamj1974

Excellent stuff!

Northwind

People moan a lot about BPW but it’s ace really, isn’t it? It lacks the charm and character of say the FOD or BMCC but it’s got everything else.

nickc

I would’ve loved BPW at 10!! I’ll bet he’s been boring all his mates with it. Great stuff!

blakec
    Free Member

Took my 6 year old on his 20 inch frog bike. It was great and he loved it stick to the blues and they will be fine. The only bit that caused an issue was the bit down to the tunnel

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My 6 year old is on 20″ wheels. We ride Swinley together (Blue 1 – 4) then loop back on the fire roads and session the fast sections, followed by picking up Blue 16 and 17.

He is bushed after an hour and a half so I shan’t be taking him to BPW for a few years yet but man, I am looking forward to taking him.

@ hatter – Does your boy do the full Blue loop? Mine fights like hell up climbs in the first few sections but ends up walking some of it. I am worried about being stranded half way around and him running out of steam.

DezB
    Free Member

Jef W – you’ll just have to give him the old “dad’s hand in the small of the back” pushalong for a bit 🙂

Won’t be a problem at BPW, cos it’s downhill pretty much all the way.

When I’m having a shite day, I open this thread for smiles 🙂

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

You have a point Dez. Have done that many a time. My 3 year old girl regularly asks for the ‘Daddy boost’.

I could always load him up with Red Bull and try and keep up.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BPW today, brilliant. !’ is closed to new replies.