Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Bottoming Coil Shock – ideas
  • joebristol

wasn’t there an issue with the TF calculator churning out wrong numbers for springs a while back, or am I miss-remembering

I’m not sure but on this bike it has recommended a way lighter spring than I need – suggested 393lbs. I’d say it’s a bit too generic – not asking enough stuff about the bike and leverage curve etc perhaps.

Out of curiosity I put through the detail of my last bike that I ran with a coil on a Fox DHX2 and it came out almost bang on the spring I used and no issues with bottoming out. So perhaps the calculator suits certain bikes more than others. Just checked the aether and think it’s 30% leverage vs the 24% of the sentinel – so more resistant to bottoming out.

The Cascade Link would take the Sentinel to 30% but I’d also have to shorten my shock stroke to keep a similar amount of travel and it’s £337 😳

RickDraper
    Free Member

Shortening the stroke on a Kitsuma is only a case of adding a clip on spacer under the bottom out bumper.

appltn

wasn’t there an issue with the TF calculator churning out wrong numbers for springs a while back, or am I miss-remembering

I’m not sure but on this bike it has recommended a way lighter spring than I need – suggested 393lbs. I’d say it’s a bit too generic – not asking enough stuff about the bike and leverage curve etc perhaps.

I’m not sure that this tells you anything (and I think I’ve already said it in response to your pinkbike forum question) but I believe I’m heavier than you (85kg kitted up) and I’m running a 434lbs spring with my Ohlins shock on a v2 Sentinel with the standard link and no bottom out issues on drops up to around 5ft vertical drop. It’s interesting that I’m happily on a lighter spring despite weighing more than you do 🤔

argee

Just think of bottoming out as being the start of you using your god given suspension 😁

markspark
    Free Member

Maybe you’re focusing on one thing on an entire loop of riding and if you set it up to not bottom on that single feature then it’ll be worse for the main bit of riding. But if you’re sag is correct and you want more resistance I’d go with damping over spring rate change. Try closing low and high speed compression all the way, ride you’re drop 5 times trying to do it same speed/technique each time and take an average of the stroke used, if it’s not all of it then you can use the damper to tune out from.

joebristol

I’m not sure that this tells you anything (and I think I’ve already said it in response to your pinkbike forum question) but I believe I’m heavier than you (85kg kitted up) and I’m running a 434lbs spring with my Ohlins shock on a v2 Sentinel with the standard link and no bottom out issues on drops up to around 5ft vertical drop. It’s interesting that I’m happily on a lighter spring despite weighing more than you do 🤔

That does suggests it’s a damping thing with the shock rather than the spring as your 434lb is probably near enough the same as my 450lb give or take with tolerances.

VanHalen

If I turn lsc up to its strongest it’s really slow to return

thats because you’ve adjusted rebound and not compression. full compression should lock out the shock and make it hard to compress. it shouldnt affect the extension of the shock at all.

joebristol

Sorry – I meant lsr but my phone corrected it.

There’s a very firm platform and lockout setting on the shock so I’m pretty sure compression damping has the range it needs to control compression – I think I just need to try whacking a load more hsc on first and see how that goes off drops and then how that effects other things like big compressions or hard impacts in rock gardens

joebristol

New progressive 450-550 spring arrived today – bargain £40 delivered from Pinkbike. Going to fit it this weekend whilst I’m down in the garage doing a lower leg service on the pike from my hardtail.

Currently in a bit of a bad way with a spasm in my lower back – so hoping to do an easy / mild ride on the new spring next weekend. In the meantime it’s loads of stretching and swimming + the physio said to try a few easy / short zone 2 rides on the turbo just to keep my back stretched out a little.

I don’t like the white so if the spring works well it’s definitely getting stripped and powdercoated. Thinking as close a red colour as I can get to my Lyrik ultimates.

poah
    Free Member

what is it’s weight ?

joebristol

Do you mean the weight as if I put it on some scales?

LAT

hope this fixes your issue.

this thread has me pondering putting a stiffer spring and winding back the compression

cakeandcheese

The CC shocks were odd for me in terms of spring rate. Had to increase the stiffness against recommended weight twice before I had something I was happy with (from 450lbs to 550lbs). I’m 75kgs.

Think I started with the TF calculator recommendation too.

poah
    Free Member

Do you mean the weight as if I put it on some scales?

Yeah wondering how heavier it is compared to my 400-488 spring.

joebristol

Will weight it for you later – might weigh the standard 450 Valt that comes of too just for good measure

joebristol

Realised the coil was still sat in the window sill in the kitchen. 444 grams for the 65mm x 450-550 Valt coil.

Probably not a lot lighter than the entire float x shock that came off the bike 😳

poah
    Free Member

my 400-488 is 429g, my 450 is 352g.

superfli
    Free Member

Rode my bike after getting the JadeX shock back from Sprung Suspension. I had asked for more HSC as well as the service. They replaced the shaft as it was a little worn as well. Not sure how much is down to the service, but shock feels fantastic! Very pleased. I’ve not noticed any less sensitivity, yet it feels more supportive and I’m sure its ramping up further into the stroke.
    Dyno graph doesnt appear to have a legend to tell me what is before and after. I presume the blue is after:
    Jade X

Excellent service. Really hoping I dont have any issues with it in Verbier in a weeks time 🙂

getonyourbike
    Free Member

100 points to everyone for massively overcomplicating this. Put a 500lb spring on. It’s that simple.

argee

100 points to everyone for massively overcomplicating this. Put a 500lb spring on. It’s that simple.

Go 550 just to be safe 😂

joebristol

I’m not sure about that – I think it might be too harsh on bumps – I’m 75kgs. Guess I’ll see how the progressive 450-550 spring goes – only paid £40 delivered to the door 🤷‍♂️

iffoverload
    Free Member

the correct way to setup your shock is to put more air in the coil.

then add lots of HSC to give nice trail feedback through your wrists.

when your collar bone has healed after a front door exit you should then experiment with the rebound damping.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.