Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bottom bracket query
  • sixtoes

I’ve got a Voodoo Bizango. I just got a good deal on an SLX M7000 crankset so I now need to switch to a Hollowtech 2 BB instead of the original Powerspline.

The Bizango has a 73mm threaded BB shell so I think that means I can use any threaded Shimano BB designed for MTB, such as SM-BB52, BB-MT800, SM-BB80. Is that correct?

And then I just have to get the correct tool because Shimano changed the indent pattern in the BBs at some point?

Assuming the above is correct I’ll probably just get the SM-BB52, is there any reason not to?

Thanks in advance for your help!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yeah, just use the supplied spacers (or don’t) to get the right chainline.

desperatebicycle

Pretty sure the BB52 has the old spline pattern.
    But you can get tools pretty cheap that fit both types of Shimano BB – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/325003596391

and the 73mm BB shell just needs the 1 spacer on the drive side

sixtoes

Fantastic, thank you both.

I get that I need one spacer on the drive side, but for future reference how would I look up how many spacers I need and where to put them?

Northwind

In theory, for 73 you need one spacer on the drive side, for 68 you need 2 on the driveside and 1 on the non drive side. In practice, these days that’s usually true but sometimes you’ll want to finagle it a bit.

Re the tools, if you need the new shimano tool it does sometimes come with the BB so I’d hold off

binman

I get that I need one spacer on the drive side, but for future reference how would I look up how many spacers I need and where to put them?

You could search on ‘shimano hollowtech II spacer placement’ and an image will give you the info or go to the Shimano website and pick your bottom bracket.

sixtoes

Thank you both, the spacer question turned out to be a bit simpler than I was expecting, for some reason I thought there were more variables than just the width!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.