Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)
  • Boris Johnson
  • molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not really reading this thread but this jumped out at me:

However this idea of sharing is not one I agree with, tax yes, use the money to drive up educational standards and give everyone a better start in life yes, but share?

Simply ensuring everyone’s educated will not do much imo. We’ve already seen education inflation with degree-educated people doing menial jobs. Some people will always succeed because they have aptitude, some will always be on the bottom, because they don’t. As a society we should aim to bring up the bottom of society and make it more comfortable.

To answer your question – share? Yes, damn right. If you have more than you need, why not?

Lifer
    Free Member

ask1974 – Member
    Welfare and immigration is significantly to blame. There are always jobs, just lots of them are not very attractive so we allow immigrants to come in, accept low wages and take these jobs. Then welfare pics up the bill at huge expense and traps people in a situation very difficult to escape from.

😆

‘Huge expense’ that is completely eclipsed by the treasury’s own estimates of tax avoided by those lovely ‘wealth creators’ who also don’t pay a living wage to their employees resulting in them having to claim income support, housing benefit etc.

But it’s definitely the poor and the immigrants that are the problem 😆

sparkingchains
    Free Member

ask1974 –

“Welfare and immigration is significantly to blame. There are always jobs, just lots of them are not very attractive so we allow immigrants to come in, accept low wages and take these jobs. Then welfare pics up the bill at huge expense and traps people in a situation very difficult to escape from”.

Welfare benefit does not cost the country anything like as much as the government has you believe. It’s a continual excuse for them to carry on making cuts and pass the blame away from the mistakes they made and allowed banks to make.

Cuts are made to the very people who need the benefit system. Open your eyes and stop listening to the press, it’s not the reason the country has financial problems. You either have a system where yes, a minority will always take the piss and take advantage or one where far too many people who need the benefits don’t get them and fall into worse health/living conditions like now. There isn’t much opportunity for someone to carefully assess every situation and check upon people, it’s too expensive.

The reason the country has issues is because of the banks. As it goes the massive tax breaks companies like Amazon and Google get add up to more than the benefits.

Immigration has overall without doubt benefitted the country, doctors, teachers, builders… Polish people particularly have benefitted our economy. These are workers with skills, most of them have not taken the advantage.

fasthaggis
    trailmonkey

Welfare and immigration is significantly to blame

ok, let’s see the figures that back this up.

ask1974
    Free Member

Junkyard of course I object to such extremes of wealth disparity, who wouldn’t. And of course I agree with sharing through a structured tax system, in fact my point regarding ‘sharing’ was a semantic view of the word that got lost a little in translation – let’s leave it at that before I dig myself into a hole… 😉

ok, let’s see the figures that back this up.

Trailmonkey I wasn’t suggesting that these two areas are responsible for the current mess, more highlighting the fact that I believe them to be intimately tied to the problems faced by many with little or no means. I maybe wrong but it’s only an opinion so happy to be corrected.

What folk have said is that it gives an unfair advantage to their kids, – the stats back this up hence you have to start off with a ludicrous straw man as the facts support our view which is nothing like what you say.

The stats would, I assume, simply point out that better schooling raises a child’s prospects, not that we should remove the best schooling we have. However I completely agree with you that we need to vastly improve our state school system though.

Viewing 6 posts - 161 through 166 (of 166 total)

The topic ‘Boris Johnson’ is closed to new replies.