• This topic has 17,667 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by BillMC.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 17,668 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • fasthaggis

maccruiskeen, that is the best post I’ve read on here in quite some time

Yup,we are truly ‘upstream without a paddle’ in a sinking canoe,surrounded by crocodiles,heading for a waterfall with rocks below.

Still,could be worse.

binners

It could indeed be worse.

And I think we can absolutely 100% guarantee that it will be. Considerably worse.

This shower of clowns may be wilfully refusing to see what’s coming down the tracks, as they have done from the off, but those of us a bit less blinkered know that January is going to be absolutely catastrophic! They seem determined to plough on with a No Deal Brexit, while ignoring the fact that by that point we could be in the middle of a second wave, potentially even worse than the first.

This government does indeed take its cues from its leader: reckless, dangerously incompetent and just winging it

dazh

This government does indeed take its cues from its leader: reckless, dangerously incompetent and just winging it

I fail to get worked up about this. From top to bottom our entire society is winging it. There are only a few people who are actually any good at what they do with the work ethic to put that competence into practice (most of them public sector employees too). The rest of us are either useless, lazy or both, and spend most of our time figuring out how to milk the system without being exposed or held to account. It’s hardly a surprise that we’ve elected a PM who reflects this. Can you imagine the opposite where we’re expected to do our jobs and answer for it if we don’t? No thanks.

kelvin

From top to bottom our entire society is winging it.

Speak for yourself.

Their are plenty of experts doing their jobs for the right reasons, and eager to contribute to how we as a society should handle things like… our relationship with neighbouring countries… or our response to a health crisis… the problem is our leadership, and importantly, the deceits used by them to become our leaders.

dazh

Their are plenty of experts doing their jobs for the right reasons

For every one of these there are a hundred Dido Hardings who blag their way to the top and then believe how great they are. The reason we are where we are is because the vast majority of us worked out long ago that hard work, honesty, and integrity do not pay. I could give you numerous examples just from my own workplace. It’s the logical result of hierarchical systems. The problem isn’t poor leadership, it’s the concept of leadership itself.

kelvin

No, the example you give is directly attributable to who is currently at the top of our government.

You’re building towards some lovely anarchist rant… aren’t you. Yawn.

anagallis_arvensis

The problem isn’t poor leadership, it’s the concept of leadership itself.

I’m not sure thats the issue, a society that was more equal would allow the best to rise, as it is its the 20% from private schools that run most things, so we get the entitled running the country

mattyfez

That doesn’t sound like a punishment, the way you’ve phrased it. Depends on which sea, obviously.

It’s not literal, its actually one of my favorite insults at the moment..

Get in the Sea:
    When someone is so unbelievably stupid, the only response is to demand their devolution back to an amphibious state.

kelvin

The problem isn’t poor leadership

It is.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/19/meritocracy-dido-harding-rise

pondo

That doesn’t sound like a punishment, the way you’ve phrased it. Depends on which sea, obviously.

I don’t really mind, as long as they go far enough out in it not to be able to get back. Arctic ocean, would be good, though – or the Southern.

fasthaggis

Do we need a revolution?

Not the soft option of angry shouting on facebook type revolution,but a proper wheel out the Guillotines and get the natives revolting ( I know a lot of them already are) kinda of affair.

🙂

MoreCashThanDash

maccruiskeen, that is the best post I’ve read on here in quite some time

Just want to echo this. Summed it up brilliantly.

greentricky
    Free Member

This gives me some hope, that even in his own party they are wanting to strip him of his Emperor powers, I am sure it won’t be without a fight:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/sep/20/tory-mps-plot-rebellion-over-renewal-of-emergency-covid-laws

tjagain

You must remember that the expertise was and still is for contact tracing in local public health – but in England these people were ignored.

MoreCashThanDash

This gives me some hope, that even in his own party they are wanting to strip him of his Emperor powers, I am sure it won’t be without a fight:

My concern is that they are wanting to water down the required lockdown measures to appease hard pressed business and “civil liberties” types, rather than a desire to deal with the crisis better.

olddog

He has limited authority all over the party. When he was insisting Civil Servants go back into the office, Hancock basically told him to do one.

Jeremy Hunt is gently chipping away – plenty of Tories from the non-swivel-eyed-loon side of the party (relative term!) will have be seeing the no-deal Brexit disaster looming. Tory politicians will tolerate a lot for a competent and/or popular leader – but soon do away with the weak when the time is right.

But I still think no-one is going to want to be PM until there is a vaccine well on the way for Covid and no-deal Brexit has either happened or not

onehundredthidiot

@morecash isn’t that what happened in Leicestershire? MP and business leaders lobbied for lesser restrictions, then infection rate rises leading to together restrictions but still not shutting down of pubs and restaurants. Because…… money.

dazh

You’re building towards some lovely anarchist rant… aren’t you.

Not really. There are however major questions to ask about how our corrupted system of government and business rewards those who display the very opposite qualities to those which are traditonally seen as high achieving or worthy of leadership. I’ve got no real problem with leadership, but it has to be earned, and based on merit. Across almost every area of our society we reward the wrong things. Blagging, bullshitting, excuse-making, manipulation, political manoevring, self promotion, avarice, and plain simple dishonesty are all things that will get you to the top in most professions, and especially politics, much faster than intelligence, hard work, dedication and integrity. We need to be asking why? If we don’t figure this out and change it then there will be many more Trumps, Boris’s, and Hardings. They are not outliers, they’re becoming the norm.

MoreCashThanDash

If we don’t figure this out and change it then there will be many more Trumps, Boris’s, and Hardings. They are not outliers, they’re becoming the norm

Actually a fair point to make, though I’m not sure all your targets are valid.

mariner
    Free Member

Dido Harding the Jeanette Krankie tribute act.

reluctantjumper

A bit late for that I’d have thought. the story is out of the bag and if he seeks one then it just confirms it as true. The question then is what was the trip for?

fingerbang
    Free Member

This is just panning out exactly as normal people anticipated and feared. A bumbling childish clown and useful idiot of the powers behind Vote Leave behaving as expected.

Jeremy Hunt, sorry Jeremy ******* Hunt, looks like the ultimate statesman in comparison

Klunk
    Free Member

The question then is what was the trip for?

that would be what the super injunction is for 😉

reluctantjumper

If he gets a super injunction now we will know he was being naughty. I’d say he’s going to come up with some strange bullshit excuse, say we should all move on and focus on beating the virus.

Sounds familiar…

MrSparkle

I’m losing track now. Is this the dead cat to deflect from the track and trace fiasco or was the ‘no restrictions on Christmas Day’ story the dead cat to deflect from the track and trace fiasco?

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

It’s going to be interesting to see this one play out – it’s either a massive lie (including number 10 press officers so unlikely) or Republica have played a blinder with some false news:

martinhutch

Perhaps he would care to release a photo from his child’s christening. Just one, we don’t want to pry. That would be the easiest way to rebut the story entirely. 🙂

Or he could get a super-injunction. 🙂

Given that there are probably only a handful of venues in Westminster where the christening could have taken place, it seems almost suicidal to deny the trip if it did actually happen.

EDIT: Seems like bollox, quickly confirmed he was in Westminster.

kimbers

Meh, bunga bunga Boris needs his chillaxing

grum
    Free Member

I knew the Vote Leave crooks were up to their necks in Russian money but I hadn’t noticed Johnson knighting the son of a KGB officer. Putin must have pissed himself when he heard that.

https://bylinetimes.com/2020/08/20/sweeney-investigates-what-changed-to-make-evgeny-lebedev-no-longer-a-security-risk/

Seems like he’s probably been off partying with his pal again.

crazy-legs

EDIT: Seems like bollox, quickly confirmed he was in Westminster.

Really? Where’s the confirmation…?

https://www.repubblica.it/esteri/2020/09/20/news/the_mystery_of_boris_johnson_s_trip_to_perugia_-267989244/

However I’m sure it’s absolutely fine. Nothing wrong at all with briefing all your MPs over an unsecured external internet connection in a house owned by an ex-KGB agent.

matt_outandabout

However I’m sure it’s absolutely fine. Nothing wrong at all with briefing all your MPs over an unsecured external internet connection in a house owned by an ex-KGB agent.

Or international travel and accommodation in close proximity to others just before you go and get up close and personal to the cabinet etc who are supposedly trying to ask folk to reduce travel, interactions with others and prioritising work…

I do wonder if it is a big hoax from the Italian site, but nothing would surprise me….

beiciwr64
    Free Member

Seems like he’s probably been off partying with his pal again

https://twitter.com/youwouldknow/status/1307978945116151809?s=20

Richie_B

I’ve got no real problem with leadership, but it has to be earned, and based on merit. Across almost every area of our society we reward the wrong things. Blagging, bullshitting, excuse-making, manipulation, political manoevring, self promotion, avarice, and plain simple dishonesty are all things that will get you to the top in most professions, and especially politics, much faster than intelligence, hard work, dedication and integrity. We need to be asking why?

We live in a blame culture. Something goes wrong therefore someone has to be to blame. Once the scapegoat is found no one either has time to or can be bothered to look at the systematic cause (we have a scapegoat after all) so everything goes on as before.

The result is that a significant proportion of a lot of jobs requires you to have the paper trail to demonstrate that you have done your job, or be able to throw the blame onto someone else. The former can take more time than the job itself, the latter is easier if you have the character traits described above and is much quicker and cheaper so these people seem more efficient and get promoted (We also wonder why we our productivity is so much lower than countries which take a different attitude and a less confrontational legal system).

I don’t believe that it’s a logical result of hierarchical systems, it’s the result of a system where one person, somewhere relatively low down in the hierarchy, can be held responsible for a systematic problem so that those higher up can avoid addressing the problem. It is not a problem unique to the public or private sectors, although in larger organisations the people we talk about thrive because there are more places to hide and more directions to throw the blame

martinhutch

Really? Where’s the confirmation…?

Harry Cole on Twitter up there didn’t take long to talk to a couple of people who were at the Westminster Abbey christening. I suppose it could all be a deep state conspiracy…but doesn’t look like a goer to me.

nickc

The Reppublica story is a weird one, as the press release originated from the airport it’s self as just a publicity puff piece, so they shouldn’t have a agenda…I’m edging towards mistaken identity right now, but it wouldn’t take much to persuade me it’s true.

scuttler

There’s enough interest from all the MSM about whether he’s asleep at the wheel for someone to find evidence either way. Presumably it’s no secret whether Lebedev is (not that that proves Blojo’s whereabouts).

dazh

I don’t believe that it’s a logical result of hierarchical systems, it’s the result of a system where one person, somewhere relatively low down in the hierarchy, can be held responsible for a systematic problem so that those higher up can avoid addressing the problem.

Haven’t you just contradicted yourself? That sounds to me like a great description of how hierarchical systems fail. What you describe could be solved by getting rid of those at the top and giving real responsibility, and the rewards that derive from it, to those at the bottom who do the work.

binners

Whats most telling of all about Johnson is that theres no noticeable difference whether he’s in the country, pretending to be PM, or off partying and shagging in Italy with his Russian mates.

We’re so used to not seeing him from one week to the next that he could have died of a heart attack ten days ago while boffing a Russian violinist and we’d be none the wiser

dogbone

Weekend at Boris’

Viewing 40 posts - 2,761 through 2,800 (of 17,668 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

RAFFLE ENDS FRIDAY 8PM