Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Boring spray on DWR question
  • davosaurusrex

Got a jacket with Goretex Active membrane that needs reproofing, Nikwax Tx or anything better on the market?

samuelr
    Free Member

I like Nikwax. If the garment lets you, tumble dry it or go over it with a cool iron to get the best results.

bruneep

my mate sells this I use it on my stuff repel

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fabrisil?

FOG

Does that stuff work on Soft shell as well, bruneep? I am assuming it does if it waterproofs tweed hats! One of the flaws with Nikwax is that they try to sell you different products for different fabrics which can lead to you spending a lot of money and having loads of half used spray bottles in the cupboard.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve found TX Direct works very well on everything synthetic – I wouldn’t bother with the different variants. Waterproofs, windproofs, softshells, fleeces, walking trousers and baggy shorts.

And my recent discovery is that Violets Ultra Concentrated Laundry Liquid is perfect for cleaning it and much cheaper than Tech Wash.

bruneep

yup on softshell as well. he’s done a video of it on tissue paper I’ll see if I can find it.

Tracey

I may get some of that to try. Makes tissue paper a bit like the old Izal toilet roll then 😉
    How much would I need for a jacket

spanishfly
    Free Member

X2 for Repel definitely works…..

Now I await a top up to my bottle Bruneep

bruneep

a 250ml bottle will do a jacket no problems tracey.

Fly, I’ll bring some in a non coshh marked bottle at next ride.

davosaurusrex

Nipped into town and picked up a bottle of Tx Direct from Millets for £8. Have washed the jacket with Tech wash and will spray it tomorrow. So does the application of heat after spraying also improve the waterproofing (as well as reviving it later on)? Not got a tumble dryer but can do the iron with a towel trick. As a matter of interest would using a hair dryer also work?

ibnchris

There’s no need to tumble dry etc. It’s fine air drying. The type of proofers that use PFCs etc need the tumble dry treatment.

I recently started working for Nikwax and have checked with the development folk as I used to think heat was required too.

I asked about the soft shell proof too…there is a bit of a difference but you’ll Be fine to use TX direct

davosaurusrex

Cheers Chris. Not doing the flooring any more then?

ibnchris

I think you might have a different Chris…I’d be terrible at flooring! Wish I wasn’t though as my floors need a bit of action.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Repel is fluorocarbon, toxic sh*t not good for the environment, there’s a reason that the likes of nikwax stopped using it

https://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/environment/fluorocarbons.php

chiefgrooveguru

Thanks to the use of fluorocarbon water repellents on pretty much all breathable waterproofs since goretex was invented, there are poisonous deposits of this stuff in every remote environment that man has visited, up the Himalayas, in Antarctica, in the depths of Patagonia. I don’t believe Nikwax have ever used flurocarbons in their DWR, which makes them unique.

ibnchris

That’s right chief. Nikwax has Been PFC (fluorocarbon) free before anyone was really talking about it. Nick (the founder) is obsessive about it and rightly so.

bruneep

Repel is fluorocarbon, toxic sh*t not good for the environment, there’s a reason that the likes of nikwax stopped using it

Repel made by Dave has no flourocarbon in it. I’ve seen his manufacturing process.

you are quoting “Repel” made by Grangers etc.
    thanks for you input 🙄

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

Yes it is, he even says so on his page..

“It is a C6 fluorocarbon, nothing new. It is available in a number of DWR (durable water repellents) , at way higher prices, and all we do differently is this. We dilute it far less than everyone else and way less than the chemists recommend.”

https://sites.google.com/site/wadersrepairs/repel

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

So it is indeed toxic shit, in even more concentrated form than what professionals use..

Poopscoop

I recently bought some water repellent, not one mentioned here, it doesn’t mention the chemicals used but does say it is harmful to aquatic life, with long lasting effects…

Can I assume it is fluorocarbon based in that case?

Genuinely never heard of this chemical before and it’s effects and will be avoiding it from now on.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Ballistol Pluvonin ..is the best re-proofer out there ..bar none .

sv

What about fabric softener? Did anybody read a comparison in one of the outdoor mags?

crashrash

Personally I like the wash in version of TX – works well and I use it on shorts, soft shells, waterproofs, ski stuff – all good and lasts a good 10 washes.

Poopscoop

sv

What about fabric softener? Did anybody read a comparison in one of the outdoor mags?

In what way mate as I’d like to know please?

I thought conditioners were a big no no for waterproof stuff or am I totally wrong??

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Boring spray on DWR question’ is closed to new replies.