Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boring smart vent / fan question
  • alexxx
    Free Member

Any advice appreciated for a little bit of airflow for a bedroom with no windows.( that isn’t drafty or noisy). I currently have wiring and a flexible pipe in place for a 100mm fan.

The old one was on a pull cord but I’d like:
    no pull cord
    ideally close the vent automatically when not in use
    o be disabled for night hours ie 10-6am.
    trickle venting mode with low airflow and wattage use

Its ceiling mounted which might make a difference!

Any boring suggestions that aren’t £200!?

scotroutes

Is your real name Harry Potter?

Cougar

If it’s for a bedroom maybe add “silent” to your list of criteria.

Watching with interest.

maccruiskeen

Is your real name Harry Potter?

Don’t him tell Pike!

jam-bo

i thought a window was a buildings regs requirement to be classified as a bedroom.

alexxx
    Free Member

Yes I want to expeliarmus the funk!

Going to try this on minimum:

https://www.electricalsonline.co.uk/product-page/cv2gip

There are no regs about staying in a room without a window, it’s only a selling criteria

maccruiskeen

i thought a window was a buildings regs requirement to be classified as a bedroom

i think you can’t call a windowless room a ‘bedroom’ if you’re letting or selling – but if it’s you’re house any room is a bedroom if you decide to put a bed in it

oldnpastit

I had a bathroom extractor fan which “trickled”. I could hear it humming in the middle of the night, was very frustrating.

Fortunately it had been installed by idiots so eventually condensation trickled back inside it and shorted it out after which it was nice and quiet.

zilog6128

@alexxx
    couldn’t really decipher what you wanted from the OP but looks like you just want a (quiet) extractor fan? There are also some Vent-Axia ones in Screwfix which the reviews say are basically silent & might be easier to get hold of.

Re. making it “smart”, it’s often easier (if you don’t mind a little wiring!) & cheaper to take a dumb thing and make it smart using a WiFi relay. I really like these: https://shellystore.co.uk/product/shelly-plus-1/
    You can program them with a schedule or they are even scriptable with a version of JavaScript if you want to get really technical! Can also be wired with a physical switch (be it an actual switch, PIR sensor, humidity sensor or whatever)
    Obviously also controllable by phone app, Alexa/Google voice (but not Siri, out-of-the-box, anyway)

alexxx
    Free Member

Now that is a good bit of advice!!!! thanks for the information I’ve not seen those Shelly devices before. A normal extractor fan with one of those setup to run a couple of times a day would fit the bill perfectly. Thank you – I’ve cancelled my original order and will get a cheaper inline fan to go with this.

ginkster

A Vent Axia Svara does most of what you asked for. It can be triggered by humidity, light or a switch and can be set to purge at times through the day. It connects via Bluetooth and you can set silent hours so it doesn’t disturb you in the night. It is pretty quiet even on full blast. I have a couple in the house and they work well. You can get them for about £75-80 off ebay.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.