• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Boozing in Edinburgh on 6nations match day.
  • jkomo

Anywhere to avoid, or to go? Not fussed about places full of Rugby fans, just a good night out with a mate after the match.
    Usual STW parameters- old or interesting pubs/ bars. Late night places, lively music, lots of fun.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

As usual, any pub with a flat roof, and any food establishments with pictures of the food on display.

Life’s golden rules. 🙂

As for old and interesting, Cafe Royale for sure.

GrahamS

Edinburgh favourites: Cafe Royal, Guildford Arms, Whistle Binkies (at the end of the night – live bands till 3am-ish) or Jazz Bar if you’d prefer a more sophisticated late night.

Leith-way: Teuchter’s Landing, Kings Wark, Malt and Hops, many other wee pubs (avoid going too far down Leith Walk tho)

NZCol

Anything West End will be busy but normally good fun, Teuchters etc. George St esp E end always busy when rugby on, whatever that big rugby bar is up there. MOre sophisticated drinkers – Caley hotel

jkomo

Great stuff, cheers.

jkomo

I don’t mind a rough looking pub if it’s fun and I’m not going to get my head kicked in.
    I am swarthy though.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You should definitely pop over to Gorgie and start a pub crawl back to Haymarket then. And let us know how you get on.

jkomo

Okay cool.
    Should I wear my Union Jack suit or comedy tam o shanter ginger wig combo?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Benson’s on dalry road…

Wine by the breaker, and usually a mobility scooter or 2 parked outside you can borrow to get you home at end of the night.

onehundredthidiot

Just head to Leith. Some great bars, you’ll know soon enough if you’ve gone into a wrong ‘un.

epicyclo

We used to try to get from one end of Rose St to another with a pint and a dram in each pub.

Never made it.

There does seem to be fewer pubs these days, so maybe it’s easier.

kennyp
    Free Member

We’ll be in the Cafe Royale pre-match. And the Hampton afterwards. As always.

BillOddie

Spent “Super Saturday” which was also St Patrick’s day which coincidentally was my brother’s stag do in the Cow Shed.

We had a great time!  Good place to watch the rugby.

alishand

We used to try to get from one end of Rose St to another with a pint and a dram in each pub.

Although I wouldn’t usually recommend Rose St, for post rugby international match-ness it can be particularly good, especially when the french or italians are in town.

gordimhor

+1 for The Diggers and also Sandy Bells was a favourite of mine when I was a more frequent visitor to Edinburgh.

jimmy

Cask and Barrel, either one.

highlandman
    Free Member

Alishand: Unfortunately, it’s England who are in town, not France or Italy. Or Wales, or Ireland, for that matter…

jkomo

Back at hotel in Grassmarket.
    Drying out, drinking hot chocolate.
    Ready to go out out

breadcrumb

A hot chocolate as a livener! Steady on!

jkomo

Ended up scurrying into whatever pub we came across I order to escape the howling wind and heavy rain.
    Still a fine night.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Boozing in Edinburgh on 6nations match day.’ is closed to new replies.