Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Boots, warm and waterproof? Flats
  • weeksy

Want some warm and waterproof boots/shoes for winter, sure, it’s a bit late I admit, but what’s out there?

RustySpanner

Some cheap hiking boots?

I find the soles get chewed up pretty quickly so not worth spending a fortune.

Couple of mates use ex military stuff from eBay – cheaper than cheap and perfect for the job, just no snob value.

cb200
    Free Member

FYI the Lake 303s, despite being a great winter boot, has the tread in all the wrong places for (my) flats, and it feels like pedalling on a pair of oily mackerel.

trap6
    Free Member

Decathlon have their own range of cheap,lightish hiking boots,Quechua I think,we buy the young lads sports shoes from there and they really are good for what you pay,missus and I have had various pieces of clothing and shoes and they’ve lasted and done what they said on the tin.Good value.

baboonz
    Free Member

Thick sealskinz seem to have worked out for me, they are expensive but my toes don’t feel like they are going to fall off anymore.

StuE
    Free Member

https://www.verticalgear.co.uk/five-ten-guide-tennie-mid-approach-shoe-review/

5 10 guide tennie mid, same tread pattern as the bike shoes not quite as sticky but not far off,paired with some over trousers they work for me

StuE
    Free Member

There’s 2 versions of the Tennie the GTX as a Goretex liner

https://www.bike24.com/p2140868.html

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Vaude thingymabobs… just back from a ride in mine and they are grand.

Moab Mid GTX I think they may actually be called…. or somesuch.

Spin
    Free Member

Anything you like sized a bit big to accommodate a pair of wooly socks with Sealskinz over the top.

weeksy

Just as an update, i bought a pair of these.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mh100-mid-wtp-m-shoes-orange-id_8369974.html

Will give them a whirl this weekend as it’s supposed to be a bit chilly. I also bought some DHB Merino socks from CRC to go with them. I’m hoping my feet won’t get as cold or wet this weekend as usual.

canopy
    Free Member

i used to use cheap hiking shoes to ride in as i had a couple pairs around..

got some riding shoes for xmas.. five ten freerider eps

really impressed.. they’re totally muck / waterproof unless you submerge your foot.

and they are far far superior on wet rocks to my old vibram soled hiking shoes

chakaping
    Free Member

Probably a bit late with this…

Review: Five Ten Freerider EPS High

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What Spin says.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Aye, I’ve been using waterproof Decathalon hiking boots (the £27 jobs) and wooly socks.
    Been working out well!

Cheap enough to replace if the soles get chewed up

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

normal walking boots are useless on flats because the soles are too stiff.

In winter I mosytly ride in a pair of Vivobareboot Scott winterproof boots.

When its really snowy or wet wellies are actually surprisingly good on flat pedals and perfect for deep snow and puddles, just not very breathable.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

When its really snowy or wet wellies are actually surprisingly good on flat pedals and perfect for deep snow and puddles

Aye, we’ll take your word for it.

submarined
    Free Member

I’ve tried several walking boots and they’re all shit. Soles are wobbly and the grooves are in the wrong place.

Best I’ve found is Freeriders EPS highs and Sealskins. I’ve got the mid/mid Sealskins but regret not going knee length for the extra splash proofing.

yoshimi

I find Merrell Moab Mid GTX pretty good on flats

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Boots, warm and waterproof? Flats’ is closed to new replies.