Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bonty Tubeless.
  • crocodilian
    Free Member

Still after a bit of advice. Does anyone know how “tubeless ready” my Bontrager Rhythm comp rims are? They have a blue rimstrip inside that looks slightly more thick but do I need another strip or is that it?? I already have the separate valves and Super Juice I need and the tyres will follow shortly too.

Popocatapetl

i have a 2009 fuel Ex8 with Rythm comps fitted. i have bontrager Mud x tyres fitted. i recommend trying to get the tyres to “bead on” using a compressor/co2 pump before filling them with the Super Juice. i found that new tyres take a while to settle and require excessive inflation, 70psi plus to get them to “bead on”, then reduce to the required PSI which is a lot less than you would normally put in tubed tyres. i left them overnight, let out the pressure and filled with Juice and re inflated. it’s a bit of an ordeal initially and took a fair bit of trial and error to get right. only downside is that a large cut/rock slash in the tyre means you have to put in a tube anyway! is it really worth the effort? i’m still not convinced!

crocodilian
    Free Member

I’m not convinced either but since these wheels came with my ne Trek I thought I’d give it a go. Do I need any additional rim tape/strip though?

chunkypaul
    Free Member
    stuartie_c
    Free Member

I wouldn’t bother with Super Juice; you might as well use French Onion Soup.

It will not seal punctures and it is pretty ineffective even getting the tyres to hold air. Best thing to do is to throw it away (or use it as stock for soup) and use Stans sealant instead, which actually works (i.e. it means you don’t have to pump the tyres up every other day and if you get a puncture, it’ll seal straight away, unless it’s a tear).

I’m using Bonty Jones ACX and Revolt Super X tyres which are great with Stans, but a pain in the @rse with the Bonty stuff.

crocodilian
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll stick them on the “to get” list.

Thanks people!

crocodilian
    Free Member

stuartie-c, I’ll see how I get on with the Bonty stuff as I have bought it already but I’ll keep your advise in mind.

Sam

The blue strips are not tubeless strips, they are just regular rim strips. Don’t know about 26″ wheels (which is what I’m assuming you have) but the ‘official’ strips for 29″ Rhythm/Duster rims are still not available, though I’ve been using the Mustang/Racelite strips with success.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Yeah – it’s worth trying, but don’t give up on tubeless if you find that it’s not holding pressure. I was pretty ambivalent about the whole thing until I tried the Stans sealant – now I’m a disciple.

iamtheresurrection

stuartie-c, I’ll see how I get on with the Bonty stuff as I have bought it already but I’ll keep your advise in mind.

I’m with Stuart. Stick it on eBay or the classifieds (or take it back if you haven’t used it), and get some Stans. It’s the only stuff that seems to work.

You’ll curse the Super Juice once you actually need it to do what it’s supposed to do.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bonty Tubeless.’ is closed to new replies.