Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Bontrager tubeless questions…
  • JackHardcore
    Free Member

New to tubeless, only done one set last week which was stans flow rims with tape and sealant to a non tubeless tyre, worked fine.

Bought a set of “Bontrager Race Disc Tubeless” wheels on eBay for a hardtail im currently building up.

They have the tubeless valves fitted and what looks like a plastic fitted insert all around the inside of the rim which I assume mates up to a UST bead nicely.

I’m hoping to fit non-ust Nobby Nic Evo’s to the rims, I assume I can just fit them with stans sealant in the normal fashion like you do when fitting to a non tubeless rim (but without the stans / gorilla tape?)

That should work right?

Thanks!

geordiemick00
    Free Member

you would think that but in my experience the nobby nic’s will come off the rim very easily, I found bontrager wheels dreadful and NN’s a PITA. Made me go to a Hope/Maxxis set up which were faultless but horses for courses disclaimer here……

chunkypaul
    Free Member

Been running 2011 tubeless ready NNs and RRs on my bontrager tubeless ready rims with no issues whatsoever

But if you have the non-tubeless ready tyres, you’ll need lots of sealant as the sidewalls are very porous

I’ve tried it with RRs and in the end only had success after using a prittstick on the inside on the sidewalls to glue up the biggest holes 😳

The majority of the time I stick to UST or tubeless ready tyres with sealant for excellent results

JackHardcore
    Free Member

I just sealed up two Conti rubber queen (non ust’s) on my other bike last week and they’re supposed to be the worst, took a good while but they’re holding fine now so as long as the NN’s are not worse than RQ’s then I dont mind.

Is there a difference between tubeless ready Bontrager rims and tubeless ones as this plastic rim insert has me a little puzzled, I was expecting to have to use a rim strip, this is a hard plactic insert?

chunkypaul
    Free Member

I think the logic is:

Without the rim strip – use inner tube/any type of tyre
    With plastic rim strip – use sealant/UST or tubeless ready tyre and if you get away with it a regular tyre

sillyoldman

I’ve used Bonty tubeless ready tyres as well as standard Conti, and standard Maxxis tyres on my Bonty Duster rims with the rims trip fitted. All have been fine with Stan’s jizz in them.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager tubeless questions…’ is closed to new replies.