Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bonfires, one of life's primal pleasures.
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

I’ve been pruning Ivy and other woody stuff from around the garden and built a substantial pile. Murr needed his garden shed moving, so I offered to pick it up for kindling for a big bonfire.

My brother came over with the kids this morning.

Rather than use news paper or diesel to get it going I grabbed a canister blow lamp from the studio. Frustrated with our attempts to get a sufficiently big blaze going quickly enough, Hamish (aged 6) helpfully suggested we just throw the gas canister onto the fire. I can’t imagine where he could have picked up such sound advice from. Hamish, we need to have a man to man talk.

The kids were hoping to toast marshmallows.

There can be few pleasures as primal as lighting huge fires.

Pigface
    Free Member

Cool, great fun for the kids.

With my work head only slightly illegal but as you are in a different country now, I will shut up.

fasthaggis

Simple pleasures are the best.

sbob
    Free Member

Camping Gaz cylinders go up well, and as the contents expand with the heat, they push the concave base to convex with an audible pop, giving you a helpful 4 seconds warning* that it’s about to go bang.

*Usually.

mudshark
    Free Member

With my work head only slightly illegal

Why?

I’ve been aggressively cutting things back this year and have loads of stuff to burn so had a bonfire yesterday hoping not to upset the neighbours. Was worried the overhanging tree might catch light at one point when it really got going but got away with that.

Pigface
    Free Member

Mudshark no problem burning self generated green waste up to 7.5tonnes a day, but bringing the garden shed from somewhere else is naughty. Pretty sure SEPA have similar ways of thinking about burning.

scud
    Free Member

Pigface – i bet you’re a bundle of fun on a night out..

Rockape63
    Free Member

I’ve got a huge pile of stuff to burn, just waiting for a cool calm night! 🙂

mcmoonter
    Free Member

[/quote]

With my work head only slightly illegal but as you are in a different country now.

For a heartstopping moment I thought the EU had banned toasting marshmallows.

thepurist

On the legal front remember nesting birds are protected too, so you should make sure that whatever your chopping down doesn’t contain anyone’s home before you fire up the chainsaw.

And surely a bonfire isn’t a bonfire until you’ve come back the next morning, poked the embers a bit, thrown on another few logs and brought the whole lot back to it’s former blazing glory.

jag61

yay bonfire season
    I just love it when someone leaves a fire smouldering all night wafting in through the windows when they need to stay open in the upcoming heatwave.’ miserable old git head on’

robdob
    Free Member

I’m afraid Pigface is correct – just be careful that you stay within the law. The amount you are burning (that is imported from elsewhere) you’ll probably get away with this once but some people have had court action resulting in heavy fines for not much more.

miketually
    Free Member

We burned a load of stuff a month or so ago, including a couple of doors. The old wooden shed-style wendy house went up brilliantly.

maxtorque

BTW, that hydraulic tipper on the back of the Disco1 is awesome!! 😉

Pigface
    Free Member

Scud yes I am 😆

Would love to tell you what I got called out to today but I can’t , thought I had seen most things but today rewrote the book of wow.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bonfires, one of life's primal pleasures.’ is closed to new replies.