• This topic has 16 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by DrP.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bone conducting earphones.
  • zippykona

2 specific questions.
    I have tinnitus in my left ear and conventional earphones playing music make it worse so no longer use them. Would bone conductors be ok?
    They all seem to wrap around the back of the head, do they interfere with a helmet?
    Will be using them to make local mud free routes more interesting this winter.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Will be using them to make local mud free routes more interesting this winter.

Road rides? Good luck

doomanic

They all seem to wrap around the back of the head, do they interfere with a helmet?

I guess that would depend on the helmet. I use them with an On One Enduro helmet and that’s fine.

fatbikeandcoffee
    Free Member

I use mine with a Giro Chronicle and it’s fine. Music quality isn’t ace but it’s good enough to ride to and you can hear all around you as well.

James

zippykona

Thinking about it , I wear riding glasses so probably not going to work anyway.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Thinking about it , I wear riding glasses so probably not going to work anyway.

Why not ?

I use aftershocks titanium and what ever the wired ones were before that. And I wear glasses all the time (oakley crosslinks)

They don’t interfere with my classes or my helmet.

nickc

Another aftershocks user (I can’t be arsed with their spelling) and they fit fine with a helmet and glasses, it’s a bit of a faff and you need to work out the order to wear them, but they fit. Don’t buy them though, as they aren’t loud enough. I understand that the point is that you can still hear traffic and ambient noise around you, but they haven’t enough oomphh IME to cut through. Like you, I’ve tinnitus in my left ear, and I can “hear” the music fine (in, say a quiet room)  so they work, but for running or cycling, they’re pretty useless, sorry.

PMK2060

I use mine occasionally and find they are ok with helmet and glasses.

Sound quality is ok at a steady pace but you cannot hear anything when going downhill.

trail_rat
    Free Member

but for running or cycling, they’re pretty useless, sorry.

Strange is that because of the tinyinitus?

Because that’s the only time I wear mine and they seem ideal for it. They are less than useless in an open plan office though

Daffy

The latest Aeropex ones are substantially better than my last Air and Titanium ones for both sound quality and wind noise.

They work fine with helmets and glasses. I find that the best order is headphones, helmet and then glasses. The helmet straps then push down a little on the headphones and give better conduction.

They’re still not powerful enough to listen to an audio book at road speeds, especially with traffic.

For someone without tinnitus, I’d say they’re perfect for running and cycling and I’ve been using them for 3 years without problems.

nickc

@trail_rat, yeah maybe, I don’t really know, I’ve tried them running and cycling, and the wind noise (when cycling) blokes out all but the loudest of music for me. They’re better for running fo’shure, still like them to be a bit louder, but I guess that they’re bone conducting limits that.

zippykona

I shall be riding a fat bike on gravel so tyre noise rather than wind would be the issue.
    Glad they fit with glasses.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Aftershokz work well for me, fit fine with specialized and giro helmet straps and oakley jawbreaker sunglasses. Only time that wind noise is an issue is when descending, other than that its fine.

dyna-ti

I also have this thing, but maybe not all the time, though it does crop up regularly.

Had a think on the process and maybe concluded that it was down to concentration, as in when I was concentrating tv,web etc the high pitched whine would start.

I developed a remedy, and it works for me but in a room of people you’ll look like a complete maniac.

As i think its the concentration issue, i throw my head back and forth, turning about.
    The point is to focus, and refocus on objects around the room, near and far. Look at the floor,swivel around to look at the ceiling, to the floor, the windowsill etc, conducted quickly, so not resting on an object for more than a split second, then to the next object until the noise dissipates. Which it does.
    I suspect the brain is trying to follow and that distraction means it isnt ‘concentrating’ on the sound.

Try it. But you are making lots of rapid jerky head movements, you’re not doing it slowly. In fact it would probably like a manic version of Stevie Wonder on x3 speed 😆

I hope the effect works for you to. But again I think its a brain/concentration thing 😕

zippykona

Bought some Aftershock titaniums. Sound quality is not that good and I’m not sure if there’s actually any bone conducting go on or if I’m listening to a speaker near my ear.
    However they played music to me unobtrusively for 2 1/2 hours on my ride this morning and my ears don’t feel like they are going to bleed.
    Managed to fit them on with goggles and helmet no problem. All in all I’m very happy with them.

dovebiker

I’ve got a pair of the Aftershokz glasses that they did on a GoFundMe or whatever last year – sound quality is better than the Titaniums I also have. If you’re expecting hi-fi go elsewhere, but if you want “choonz” for running, biking they’re better than nothing

DrP

I’ve got the latest aftershox..aeropex or something.

I’m getting to like them more the more i use them.
    key points..

They sound bad. Like…£3.99 headphone bad!
    But… I Do like the fact I can genuinely hear all around me, they feel more comfortable, and I feel less ‘disorientated’ I guess (having things in ears can be a bit distracting).
    If you turn the volume up they tickle..don’t do that!

I like having them when MTBing as a bit of background music is cool, yet you can still say hello etc etc

I wear glasses and helmet – they work fine.

DrP

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bone conducting earphones.’ is closed to new replies.