Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bodge of the day. Will this work? Damaged hub spoke hole.
  • plop_pants
    Free Member

had someone crash into me today in a cx race. Somehow managed to pull a spoke so hard that it ripped out the hub spoke hole. The carbon rim is fine thankfully. So to have a wheel for next weekend I was going to drill another spoke hole equidistant between the damaged hole and one next to it, pop a new spoke in and true it up. It is a disk hub, 24 hole, and the damaged spoke hole is on the disk side. Just want to have something to use while i source a new hub and arrange a rebuild.

dovebiker

Quite a lot of spare metal on a 24 hole hub flange – it’s a workable fix

damascus
    Free Member

What was that tape that sets like steel?

If you don’t care about the hub you could reinforce the hub with it, layer up on the damaged bit then drill a hole. It’s a bodge but could work.

Your idea is cheaper and simpler.

Alternatively, how much do you weigh? I’ve had 3 spokes go on a 32 hole wheel while bike packing and it was fine.

plop_pants
    Free Member

thanks for the help. Indeed there is plenty of space between spoke holes in my 24h hub so I’ve gone ahead and drilled it. It is a front wheel so hopefuĺly there wont be that much stress on the hub flange anyway and I’m a svelte 71kg.Just got to find a spoke now 😆

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds reasonable but I would drill the hole not equidistant between existing ones but place it so it is best reinforced by the flange with respect to the tension on it.

And… warranty?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

And… warranty?

It was a crash. Warranty? Really?

plop_pants
    Free Member

thanks cynic-al, I have drilled the hole a bit further away from the edge of the flange than the other spoke holes so hopefully that’ll do the job.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Did you remember to countersink the hole? If not, the spoke won’t seat properly and will most likely break at the bend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bodge of the day. Will this work? Damaged hub spoke hole.’ is closed to new replies.