Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Boardman MHT 8.9
  • jupiter
    Free Member

I really like the look of this bike, but trying to get a test ride of a size medium seems to be impossible at the moment. Halfords seem to be out of stock in all sizes, Cycle Republic seem to only have size large and comparing the geo specs on the Boardman site to the Halfords site there seem to be a lot of differences. For instance halfords say bb drop 63mm, Boardman say 17mm (that seems very odd for a 29er). Also medium frame is 17inch on the Boardman site yet 18 in Halfords. Lastly I was in a cycle republic and one of the staff said that there would be a new range of bikes in the the Autumn.  Has anyone ridden one, a good review in MBUK.

cookci
    Free Member

Have you a link to the review as i cannot find it

I have the older mountain bike pro version 29er

With wheel, tyre and dropper post upgrades its a crazy bike for the money, xc fast but still very capable.

How tall are you?

peteimpreza

I got the only large they had in stock.

its a great bike. So bloody quick,

i am 5’10” and went for a large to get the longer reach.

cookci
    Free Member

What does it weigh?

peteimpreza

12.9kg is quoted but I am unable to weigh it to verify.

it certainly feels light when picked up.

jupiter
    Free Member

The review was in June issue. I’m 5’9″, short legs so usually go for a 17 inch frame. I did try the 8.8 bike for size seemed fine ( labeled an 18 frame website says it is 17 frame). Cycle republic say they might have a couple of medium 8.9 bikes but I still want to figure out that bb drop figure.

cookci
    Free Member

Not sure why it matters about the bb height. Medium is a good size for you.

I take it the review isnt online?

jupiter
    Free Member

Geo.  specs should not be taken in isolation , but that bottom bracket drop does seem extreme for a 29er hardtail. The Boardman mtb pro 29er (2016/17) bb drop 63mm, Pinnacle Ramin 3 has a 58mm bb drop, Cotic Solaris 60mm bb drop, so 17mm for the Boardman does seem weird and I wonder how it would feel to ride, twitchy and perched on the bike or planted and in the bike, or of no concern. The review is on the Boardman site (no pictures), the only thing MBUK didn’t like was weird bar shape and the reach could be longer. I Just got an email back from Halfords saying it will be restocked in the autumn!

peteimpreza

This is how mine feels

“planted and in the bike”

jupiter
    Free Member

That’s good to know, any pictures of your bike. Have you made any upgrades or just kept it stock?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Boardman MHT 8.9’ is closed to new replies.