Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • BOA, Constricting?
  • mjsmke

Still searching for some suitable clipless shoes and pretty settled on Specialized Rekons due to the wide toe box. Currently have Specialized Sport with 3 velcro straps and considering the Rekon 2.0 with a single BOA, and single velcro strap. With 3 velcro straps I need the ankle strap as tight as possible with the middle strap a little loser, and the toe strap as lose as possible. Since the BOA replaces the top and middle strap, will this make it too constricting or does it make the ankle tighter than the middle? Ive only ever used velcro for cycling shoes but it slips after a while. I know I could get the Rekon 3.0 with 2 BOA dials but they’re far too expensive.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I avoid boa on snowboard boots due to lack of adjustability and possible failure in the middle of nowhere. Hope that helps

petefromearth

I have the exact same issue and find that a single BOA works well. I’ve got the road equivalent to the Recon which is the Torch. I also have clown like feet.

tall_martin

I have some 2 boa dial Shimano shoes.

They only click to tighten. To loosen they have to have the dial pulled and they lose all tension.

I’d rather have laces. I’ll not buy any other boa shoes.

I end up getting them just too tight, lose all tension, too tight…and repeat. Unlike laces where they go too tight and can be slackened and tightened until they are perfect.

MoreCashThanDash

Got my first (2 dial) BOA shoes earlier this year, some Lakes.

Love them. So easy to get right.

jamiemcf

The BOAs on my old defrosters are still flawless. They’ve not been used much in thecpast few years. I’m sure there are many tales of them failing

slowoldman

I have BOAs on Fizik road shoes. Adjustability is good. Unlike tall_martin’s experience mine can be slackened a click at a time. I assumed they all worked like this.

stevious

They only click to tighten. To loosen they have to have the dial pulled and they lose all tension.

Not true of all BOAs – the ones on my road shoes click both ways and are very easy to tighten. I have had the other type as well and found them to be fine.

burko73

Also can you just remember to stop twisting when it (starts to) feels too tight! Surely after a few times you can get used to something that simple?

tall_martin

@slowoldman
    and @stevious

I have BOAs on Fizik road shoes. Adjustability is good. Unlike tall_martin’s experience mine can be slackened a click at a time. I assumed they all worked like this.

Ooohh, can you swap boa dials? Mine irritate me every ride.

Also can you just remember to stop twisting when it (starts to) feels too tight! Surely after a few times you can get used to something that simple?

I would have thought so to! After a year, I really would have thought so. Apparently I can’t

TheGingerOne

More expensive shoes come with more expensive Boa systems i.e. the version where you can undo them incrementally rather than pull up the button and they slacken completely. It’s one of the reason why the more expensive shoes are more expensive 😀

MSP

The rekon 2 with the single boa is pretty poor for equalising the pressure across the top of the foot, I would go with either the rekon with the velcro or the 3.

petefromearth

Looks like the Recon 2.0 (and 3.0) has a type of BOA that doesn’t allow you to loosen easily

Spesh website says the Recon an L6 BOA whereas the Torch 2.0 has an IP1 BOA

https://www.boafit.com/en-gb/innovation/

I assumed they would be the same being the same level/pricepoint which is kinda annoying

iainc

I have a couple of pairs of the current Recon 2, one for MTB and one for gravel, and think they are really good. No pressure points, BOA is easy to operate and quality seems pretty decent.

slowoldman

Ooohh, can you swap boa dials?

No idea sorry.

allanoleary
    Free Member

You can buy BOA dials separately so technically you should be able to upgrade to the dials that allow you to slacken off click by click

devash
    Free Member

I’ve got the newest two way Boas on my Lake MX238’s. Comfiest shoes I’ve ever owned, and I’ve heard that the MX241’s are even comfier. You can snug them right down and back them off click by click as your feet swell during longer rides. Never had a problem with any sort of constricting feeling.

I’ve also got a pair of Northwave Spider 2 Plus trail shoes that have Northwave’s Boa clone, which IMHO isn’t a patch on real Boa laces. The main difference is that the Northwave system uses a less durable cotton / polyester lace which is prone to fraying and snapping. If it breaks then you have to buy a £13 replacement. Also, part of the ratchet system is exposed on the Northwave dials, meaning that a rock strike or bad impact can write off the whole shoe. This part is not replaceable.

Boa will send you a free repair kit if their lace or dial get damaged. As far as I am aware, this guarantee covers manufacturing faults as well as crash damage. The Boa lace is much more durable, being made of a nylon fishing line type material.

belugabob
    Free Member

My specialized MTB shoes (no idea which model) have the dials which click both ways – great for adjusting mid-ride, if you need to (just reach down and adjust as required)

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘BOA, Constricting?’ is closed to new replies.