Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • BMW 4*4s – how good are they?
  • BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Not good enough to cross this, in spite of the driver’s awesomeness (obvs awesome, it’s a BMW)

bikebouy
    Free Member

I had to swim, I got my suit wet 🤣

fadda

Blimey – it’s a bit wet there!

johndoh
    Free Member

Bikebouy –  I had to swim, I got my suit wet

But at least you’d float.

Bunnyhop

They don’t seem to come with indicators.

philjunior
    Free Member

If he’d gone a bit faster the big wide tyres would’ve done a nice aquaplane all the way across it, Iceland Formula Offroad-style.

perchypanther
    Free Member

The ultimate diving machine

johnners
    Free Member

He’s veering left a bit, if he doesn’t watch it he’ll be in that hedge.

drlex
    Free Member

good one, PP – reminds me of “Who’s the U-boat Commander?”

BBSB – where’s the flood?

scuttler

As a director of a PPI claims management company here’s my personal favourite (best colour) in its native off road environment. Although this one could probably use some bigger wheels.

slowoldman

He saw the delimit sign and thought “great I can give it some beans”.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

drlex – it was a couple of years ago on the road between Meigle and Alyth, north of Dundee.  Saw it today on a local news article about flood and severe weather warnings with warning of possibly same again this year.  Maybe he’ll try again

perchy wins the internet again

bigyinn
    Free Member

Out of interest, how can you tell its a BMW from that angle?
    Was it your car?

bikebouy
    Free Member

They don’t seem to come with indicators.

The only time they flash is when the electrics are 3ft underwater, just before they go “pop”

TheGingerOne

He saw the National Speed Limit sign and should have given it a Welly

toby

“But it only came half way up that duck!”

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bigyinn – it was a news story a couple of years ago, picture but no details reprinted today because of the weather warnings. Tried to find the original but no luck. I remember it was a BMW because after the original story (which ripped the pi$h to be honest), he appeared in the local press claiming he wasn’t really that stupid, he just thought by flooring it a combination of the bow wave and the BMWs awesome off-road ability would get him across. Which effectively confirmed that yes, he was that stupid.

toby challenges perchy for internet winning-ness

trail_rat
    Free Member

neighbour of mine followed me in his 5 series across the bridge at the bottom of our road.

it was benign standing water , id already checked the flow speed and i drove through  – although i had water round my feet in the cab of my car.

what she was thinking following me in a near new 5 series im not sure.  Last seen on the back of a CARS recovery truck.

Kryton57

So what we have is an idiot in a car, being a BMW makes no difference.   FWIW, I killed an Alfa 159 in a depth of water that most would consider extremely sensible to drive through.

trail_rat
    Free Member

water depth sensible to drive an alfa through ….. im pretty sure the manual says dont get wet. If it rains park up or electrical doom will become of it .

Kryton57

I’m going to open myself up for much piss taking and good humour…

Image result for eynsford kent

What depth do you reckon that marker says?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What sunglasses were you wearing?

mjsmke

@Kryton57 I had to ride through that ford just to clear the mass of mud after riding down from Eagle hieghts one year.

maccruiskeen

What depth do you reckon that marker says?

it says ‘ width 6’6″ – I think you’d get an Alfa through. Anything wider would have to go through the ford instead. 🙂

mrchrispy

where is that?

oafishb
    Free Member

Eynsford, Kent. Nr Sevenoaks.

CountZero

The depth marker shows it’s roughly 6” at that time, but can go up to 6’.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The width is 6’6” (6ft 6inches) and the depth gauge looks like its on half a foot or 6inches.. but it’s hard to see on the pic..

So Kryt’s killed his Alfa in 6inches of water?

Thats madness.

I have shoes with a bigger sole 😂

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

This was the A55 in North wales a few Xmas’ ago. My mate drowned his wife’s Alfa after hitting this in the early hours on his way home from Anglesey

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/flooding-shuts-lane-a55-second-10677083

Oh how we laughed…

Kryton57

So Kryt’s killed his Alfa in 6inches of water?

So it would appear, but the whole story needs to be revealed.

Think of the pic above being taken from the drivers seat, because that’s what you are confronted with immediately of a left turn off the main road.   I’d never been there/seen it before, so as I turned I halted, saw a stream of cars going the opposite direction over that bridge, wheel tracks coming out the other side of the ford and a driver behind me awaiting my decision. The pressure was on…

Seeing the 6” I thought a slow progression would be fine.  However, the car stalled – and as I found out later became hydro locked – and I was stuck mid stream.

After I was pulled out by a kind bloke in a Disco, the locals revealed to me that that marker is incorrect, because the subsequent dip/wheels ruts in the middle section caused by Buses and HGV’s means it’s deeper where the wheel’s track, making it about 1ft.  Add to the equation something else I didn’t know – the 159’s air intake is in the wheel arch of all places.

Lucklily I got what I paid from the insurance company…

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘BMW 4*4s – how good are they?’ is closed to new replies.