Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bluestone in Pembrokeshire
  • aleigh
    Free Member

Hi all

I am off there with my 2 girls at the end of May for 4 nights. Have you been and if so, what’s it like? I have to say it looks really nice and I am looking forward to chilling out!

magowen100
    Free Member

Tis local to me;
    Haven’t actually stayed there but the swimming bit is good for a couple of hours with the little ‘uns (though they must be 110cm tall for the slides). I’ve looked round the site as we’re members and its very quiet (no cars) though a little ‘Portmerion’ in that artificial village way. Not a bad thing but it does make you think a big ball will bounce past at any moment. Its very close to Canaston Woods which has some fun trails in if you’re taking the bike. Can imagine it would be a very chilled place to be for a few days – so enjoy!

richcc
    Free Member

We went, pretty soon after it opened. Seemed like we had the place to ourselves. Very nice but pool is virtually off site and not at the centre. Assume this was a condition of planning so locals could use it. Bit hilly, take your bikes and have a great time

Lodges are fantastic. Really nice

pedlad

Went for new year just gone with family and had a great time. Bikes and scooters are fine if dry and the swimming complex isn’t far at all. Buggies are expensive and not really needed although I can see they’d be useful if raining and you have v small kids (we make ours walk or bike with jackets on… It’s character building!)

Agree lodges are lovely. Swimming pool was looking a bit tired (as though they’d run out of budget and had to use cheap materials eg rusting railings not ss). However there was a big shutdown for refurb the day we left so I’m sure that’s sorted. Recommended.

pedlad

Oh forgot to mention there’s a fantastic tapas restaurant nearby in narberth

aleigh
    Free Member

CFH…no kids are allowed in the pub 😆

I have just made enquires about the kids club thing and spa treatments…apparently I have to walk 15mins from where I drop them off! It’s a shame they don’t have map or do they? Will have a look I think.

My friend is going to recommend me some beaches as well. I am also looking to go to the local theme park, is that any good?

1×29
    Free Member

Be prepared for leaving your car at the top of the site and walking to and fro your lodge – it’s a very steep site. More of a problem the younger your kids are. You’re only allowed to take your car to near the lodge on day one for dropping off your gear and the last day for picking it up. The free mini bus runs infrequently. Golf carts cost extra. Bikes cost extra. I’d imagine both would be in short supply during the summer season too.

Go well equipped with torches for getting around after dark. Pathways, whether they be tarmac or dirt, are not lit – a condition of the planning – your basically navigating in the dark. Late May should be light until late-ish though.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

aleigh – Member
    CFH…no kids are allowed in the pub

I know. 🙂 It’s great.

😉

1×29
    Free Member

They do have a map. You get it once you check in. It’s a very big site and I can imagine walking from the furthermost lodges (situated downhill) to the village (uphill) or the swimming amenities (situated at the top of the site) to be quite knackering.

To be honest even biking up from bottom to the top would break out a sweat.

I appreciate their desire for the park to be traffic free but they should have given the severe sloping site a miss.

I don’t get their no lights on footpaths scenario. I didn’t think environmental issues would trump health and safety.

lister

There were ALOT of hoops to jump through for planning. It’s in the National Park (much to many local people’s displeasure!) so they had to be strict.
    The pool is in a shocking state for it’s age, I worked there (bigest mistake of my life!) and there was panic after panic to get it opened on time and I think there had to be many short cuts.

If it stays dry then Canaston Woods will be rideable (as will the Preseli hills) but they are a nightmare in the wet.

Just try not to spend too much money on site (they’ll try and milk you dry) and get out and see the coast, that’s the biggest reason for coming to Pembrokeshire.

It’s lovely here at the mo, hot sun, bit of surf and hardly any tourists yet 🙂

aleigh
    Free Member

I will get the kids booked for stuff so I can have a glass of wine on my own ;o)

geoffj

We went to the pool bit (Bluestone Lagoon) a couple of times last year. I tend to think of that bit of it as a low rent verson of the CenterParcs Whinfell offering. I’m lead to believe that the lodges are nicer than the CP versions though.

The pool was OK, but the queues for the slides got very long very quickly and the main wave pool bit is pretty small. OK for an hour or so, but no longer.

Oh and it did look like it was rusting away / falling to bits in places, which is pretty shocking considering how young it is.

The nearest towns – Narbeth and Haverfordwest aren’t that great either, but head further WNW and things improve dramatically.

large418
    Free Member

if you can get to St Davids, then have a half day coasteering or surfing or climbing with TYF. Great fun for kids and adults alike.

DavidB
    Free Member

large418 I nearly drowned coasteering at St Davids with a guide and proper company. Freak wave nearly did for three of us and instructor. We were held under for a long time in a rocky gully and I was just about to breath water properly when somehow I made the surface. Oh how we laughed about it in the pub later.

lister

I went coasteering 3 times last week and didn’t nearly drown every time, just to balance things up! 😉

CountZero

I don’t get their no lights on footpaths scenario. I didn’t think environmental issues would trump health and safety.

Not sure if you’ve noticed or not, but most of the countryside, outside of built-up areas, doesn’t have lit footpaths, or roads, for that matter. There are these wonderful portable light sources called ‘torches’, however…

aleigh
    Free Member

the girls chose their torches yesterday!

enfht
    Free Member

Lovely part of the world, great coastline too

+1 Canaston woods

1×29
    Free Member

a) I’m not expected to pay 5 star prices to take a walk in the countryside and b) I have a choice whether I go for a walk after dark.

There’s certainly an element of milk you dry when you’re not advised before hand of situations you’re expected to pay extra for i.e. want to get around in the rain? Hire a golf cart because we won’t be allowing you to use your own car.

With regard the many places suggested to go visit in Pembrokeshire, IMO there are better and cheaper accommodation options than BlueStone.

I’d be surprised to find a high return rate with BlueStone visitors – again just my opinion.

Saying that, the village cottage I stayed at was very nice. Can’t comment on the lodges.

rOcKeTdOg

i spent every byear from about 7 years to 16 years on holiday with my parents at Princes Gate nr Narberth, lovely countryside, can’t comment on it now though coz it’s a long time since i was 16!

Amroth has (did) have a lovely long beach with pebbles and sand, which is where we used to spend all day, saundersfoot is great too, Tenby has some great ice cream parlours

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bluestone in Pembrokeshire’ is closed to new replies.