Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Blue badges and double yellow lines
  • pocpoc
    Free Member

I may regret opening this can of worms, but genuine question – how come you’re allowed to park on double yellow lines with a blue badge? I get the whole parking where you can gain easier access and shorter distances to walk etc.. But aren’t double yellow lines there for a reason? Such as safety to allow space for pedestrians to see and cross roads, prevent blocking of other traffic or maintain emergency response vehicle access?
    I’m all for the blue badge as a concept, but I’m confused with the restrictions and if there are any.

johnners
    Free Member

You may park on single or double yellow lines for up to three hours if it is safe to do so but not within 15 metres of a junction or where there are restrictions on loading or unloading – indicated by yellow kerb dashes and/or signs on plates.

HTH, this took me several seconds to find out so I hope it puts your mind at ease about your safety concerns.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. I too have heard of this thing called Google. But I thought, given that this is a forum I would use it as a point to open up discussion and/or (this is STW) debate.

The actual event that made me think of it was walking past a car that was half out of a roadside bay and on to double yellows, sticking diagonally out into the flow of traffic, but also very close after a junction on quite a busy road.

theotherjonv

yellow lines are often there to improve traffic flow, not for safety.

A blue badge holder still has to park safely but is given a concession to park on yellow lines under some circumstances. It’s not a licence to just leave it anywhere.

(my mum is a conscientious blue badged wheelchair user. Example M.O is that my Dad – 82 – parks safely and unloads her into a wheelchair from where he can eg; wheel her to the optician, he then moves the car to a car park because while he can walk from the car park back to the optician to wheel her that distance is a bit much for him)

HTH

theotherjonv

The actual event that made me think of it was walking past a car that was half out of a roadside bay and on to double yellows, sticking diagonally out into the flow of traffic, but also very close after a junction on quite a busy road.

Quite likely to be ticketed if it was felt to be hazardous….. (and of course if a warden / police saw it)

doris5000

Sounds like the Audi Q7 that sometimes parks near my house tbh

MoreCashThanDash

MrsMC has a blue badge – the one we don’t understand is free parking – she earns shed loads more than me!

nealglover
    Free Member

the one we don’t understand is free parking – she earns shed loads more than me!

I would imagine most/a lot of blue badge holders aren’t so fortunate though.
    So it makes sense, rather than a means tested special version that allows free parking.

natrix
    Free Member

if a warden / police saw it)

We have an issue near the school, where blue badge holders park dangerously on the double yellow lines, next to a junction and blocking a droppped kerb. The traffic wardens said that they don’t have the powers to ticket them, it has to be done by the police. The police say they’ll look into it (i.e. can’t be arsed). The disabled grandparents just stay in the car so it’s nothing to do with how far they can or can not walk……………

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It’s not a licence to just leave it anywhere.

This should be the title of the offenders course they have to go on when ticketed for inconsiderate parking.

We have an issue near the school, where blue badge holders park dangerously on the double yellow lines, next to a junction and blocking a droppped kerb. The traffic wardens said that they don’t have the powers to ticket them, it has to be done by the police.

If they’re blocking a dropped kerb then TW’s have power to ticket them if a complaint is made. It happens outside my work and the TW’s are straight out with the tickets.

binners

At the bottom of our road is a health centre with a pharmacy across the road. Both have double yellows outside them. For good reason. They’re on a busy junction with a main road. The conclusion we’ve reached, when sat there in backed up traffic as the road is double parked and blocked, is that once you retire you are then exempt from all parking regulations

bikebouy
    Free Member

is that once you retire you are then exempt from all parking regulations

🤣🥴

My FiL, you’ve met him 🤠🤣🤷‍♂️🧟‍♂️ He’s an arrogant idiot.

nick1962
    Free Member

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7204143,-2.1066224,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s–3i9OSmee7IcozZ421HqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
    Some selfish twunts regularly park both sides of this park entrance so they can go and play and watch bowls totally blocking the line of sight for vehicles and pedestrians.You have to crossover when you exit the park as there is no footpath on one side.There’s two old people’s homes opposite whose residents have to cross the road to use the park,usually in wheelchairs.There’s also an adjacent high school as well and many of the kids cross here.What’s even more annoying is the fact that there are free disabled parking spaces on the other side of the greens that are just as close.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Blue badges and double yellow lines’ is closed to new replies.