Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Bloody dog (tail)!
  • oldnpastit

My dog keeps rushing through dense undergrowth in search of balls/rabbits/squirrels and ripping open the end of his tail. He comes home and splashes blood everywhere.

It usually heals by itself after a day or two, then the next bramble hedge rips it open again.

Any suggestions?

kayak23

bikebouy
    Free Member

Innocent Smoothies have knitted hats of them..

I’d post a link, but Google’s changed the way you can copy/paste photos and I’m reluctant to post another webpage.

russianbob
    Free Member

GSP? Ours had his docked when he was a very little pup, before we got him. I’ve seen GSPs with full tails and they do look crazy long and wavy. I’m sure someone will be along to say how awful docking is but I can see the benefit.

kayak23

bikebouy
    Free Member

Oh, i can post an image off my laptop… so this..

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not really but I’m sure you’ll find something to protect it while he’s out. Whether it stays on or not is another matter.
    Your main worry is that one day it doesn’t heal properly and gets infected – then you have a bigger issue.

[For all those saying that docking the tails of dogs is barbaric/cruel – this is why it should be done for some breeds]

DezB
    Free Member

I’m sure someone will be along to say how awful docking is but I can see the benefit.

This is probably the reason they used to do it in the first place. But it’s not a solution, cos the dog is too old and it’s illegal 😉

My girl has docked tail, but a knackered paw from undergrowth excursions… what can you do eh. (keep them on a lead! say TJ etc 😆 )

pointer

Scapegoat

To lawfully dock a dog’s tail, the vet needs to be satisfied that the dog will be used for legal shooting sports or other qualifying working life. It must also be done before the puppy is 5 days old. It must also be a spaniel, HPR (Hunt-Point-Retrieve) or a terrier, or a cross including one of those ( but only a pure-bred in Wales)

Here: Tail docking and the law
    Tail docking was banned in 2007 in England and Wales, except under certain exemptions catered for in the Animal Welfare Act.
    Puppies have to be docked before they are five days old.
    This is before the neonate nervous system is fully developed and when bones are still soft.
    Discuss your docking requirements with your vet well before the whelping date to avoid last-minute panics.
    The vet will ask you to sign a statement declaring the dog whose tail is to be docked will be used for one of the following: a) law enforcement; b) activities of HM Armed Forces; c) emergency rescue; d) lawful pest control; e) the lawful shooting of animals.
    Once the five-day time frame is up, the puppies cannot be docked.

Read more at https://www.shootinguk.co.uk/gundogs/health/tail-docking-key-facts-you-need-to-know-9672#k9qV54DQhQwT5dZ0.99

Well-intentioned legislation, it prevents unnecessary cosmetic bullshit like cropped ears and complete docking of big dogs like Rotties and Doberman Pinschers, but there are consequences to many working dogs who weren’t originally docked as per the requireents. .

I’ve seen first hand the damage an undocked tail can suffer, as not all dogs on shoots are docked because of the stringent legislation. The end of the tail can take days to heal, and on a busy day an undocked spaniel can look like it’s come from an abattoir.

If you can find a sympathetic vet to remove the damaged section of the tail as a preventative measure against future damage you’d be doing well by the dog, but given the legislation, unless you actually work him, you may just have to live with it and treat as necessary.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Could be worse, our old mutt ran into some undergrowth and poked his eye out on a blackthorn.

edit: And then started going blind in the other eye.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Could be worse,

Yes, yes it could…..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-50409531

sharkbait
    Free Member

Yes, yes it could…..

I really hope he can wag that extra one 🙂

longmover
    Free Member

GSPs are renowned for damaging their tails, ours was docked as a puppy because he was from working stock. GSPs are great!

DezB
    Free Member

Yes, yes it could…..

I had to check that wasn’t from April 1! So freaky!

oldnpastit

He’s not actually a GSP. He is allegedly a working lab/springer cross.

But everyone says “is he a GSP?”.

GSPs are great!

So are faux GSPs!

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Our Springer does the same. She also cuts her massive tongue on brambles. On some walks she looks like she’s been on a muddy version of a Saw movie.

Never had a healing problem though. And she doesn’t work (apart from for herself) so Def not going to dock.

Lovely looking dog btw. I’d love Springer lab cross. Unless it had the worst traits from both breeds! 😀

sharkbait
    Free Member

so Def not going to dock.

Docking after the 5 day limit is not really an option as it’s painful after that point- which is why it’s only done immediately after birth.

DezB
    Free Member

He’s not actually a GSP

Yes he is! 😆

Bloody looks like one fer sher. He’s a beaut.

supernova

According to the two GSPs currently crowding me off the sofa, that dog is definitely one of them.

bruk

It’s not illegal to dock the tail for medical reasons under a General Anaesthetic with appropriate pain relief.

If it’s a recurrent non healing wound then sometimes that is the best option. Get it checked by your vet to see what damage has been down and the best way for it to heal.

A happy dog wagging its tail can soon make a room look like a scene out of a horror film whilst they remain oblivious to the carnage around them.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Unless it had the worst traits from both breeds! 😀

Outright stupidity and gluttony? 😀

colournoise

raybanwomble
    Unless it had the worst traits from both breeds! 😀

Outright stupidity and gluttony? 😀

We had pure Springers previously. when we lost the last one we thought we’d go Springador (I reckon it should be Labradinger though) in the hope the lab side would tame the Springer exuberance…

We were SO wrong. What we have is a 20 month old Springer minded too clever for his own good ****wit of a dog with the strength and build of a working lab. He’s amazing and beautiful, but is proper hard work. He does have an amazingly long and potentially snaggable tail – so far he’s not got it snared up anywhere so far though.

Definitely doesn’t look like a faux GSP though, more of a sleek stealth spaniel…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Bloody dog (tail)!’ is closed to new replies.