Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Blake’s van build on GMBN
  • ta11pau1

I don’t think IT will help you with that. It’s not rocket surgery but your background will not be of any advantage.

I meant it more in the way that I’m used to learning about/building/maintaing complex systems – not that my work knowledge/experience would directly help with the electrical side.

damascus
    Free Member

You just need to get inventive if you want to fit everything into a small van. This one is brilliant in my opinion, just lacking some windows.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’m sure I saw that in the sortimo van racking catalogue.

For when you have to be nailing kits together monday-friday and want to park at the trail.head on the weekends right ?

ta11pau1

I like the raising bed feature, even in a ‘full size’ van it’d be handy to allow full bikes to be carried or bigger items, or to have full through access

However, watching a Scottish couples van tour, they mentioned how important a closed off rear bed section is, due to midges. Otherwise when you’ve got the back doors open working on/loading bikes you’ll end up with about 20 million midges in the van.

For size, I wouldn’t see a reason to not go for an L4 van, it wouldn’t be my main car and the only size consideration would be to be able to park it on my drive.

intheborders
    Free Member

In particular I really fancy disappearing up to Scotland for 3 weeks next September, but having the freedom to move about based on weather and where I fancy riding, doing some of the Highlands, Nevis range, Skye etc.

June is a better month.

ta11pau1

June is a better month

If you like midges…

I spent 10 days in the tweed valley and Arran last year late September/early October and only saw a few at dusk a couple of days of the trip.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

get an old ambulance

Do not buy an old ambulance. I work on film crew for the BBC series. 5 ambulances each year, I don’t think we’ve ever made it through a 12 week block without and least 2 or 3 of them ending up off the road at some point. Either with electrical issues (there’s an arm sized loom from front to back that’s just waiting to short out on something and drain the batteries), or they seem to shit out gearboxes as 3.5t vans aren’t designed to be ragged at 100mph whilst weighing over 4t (yes, lots are more than a little overweight).

And that’s with the service giving us their best, freshly serviced, lowest mileage vans. Not the 2nd re-body that’s being scrapped.

Apparently most get donated to the army who leave fleets of them behind in warzones where if they don’t get shot to pieces the locals can keep cannibalizing them for parts to keep some running.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That tiny van has a lot of good ideas. Obviously not built for Scotland but the concept is sound IMO

Luton vans I’ve seen are more of a glorified rain cover over a flat bed truck. Not substantial enough to attach anything to the sides of. You’d need to build an internal frame to attach anything that wasn’t bolted to the floor. And you have no access to the cab from the back, which even big campers do.

Yeah I’m aware of that, internal framing doesn’t phase me as you would need to sort insulation anyway. Cab access isn’t an issue either, I like fixed items that don’t necessarily stay fixed to stay away from me, especially in a self build.

The flat bed thing is a good point but those low loader lutons that seem to have become a thing would get round that.

mark88

£40k? I wish!

Sorry – I’ve got that number stuck in my head. I’ve been helping my parents motorhome shopping at that price point.

This is one of the textbook Insta #vanlife types – £15k for a professional kit out.

For size, I wouldn’t see a reason to not go for an L4 van, it wouldn’t be my main car and the only size consideration would be to be able to park it on my drive.

Mine is MWB and it still doesn’t fit in most normal parking spaces, so no reason not to go LWB. The XLWB is a big old beast and potentially a bit overkill unless you’re planning on building beds for kids or something.

dirkpitt74

I like the ‘Blake Builds’ series – always some pretty interesting stuff.
    I’d like to build a camper, but would need to make it wheelchair accessible for my wife.
    No many info about DIY builds for them though.

zerocool

If you don’t like midges then just get some mosquito nets. Or turn the inside lights off

DickBarton

Makes no odds if lights are on or off for midges…that isn’t what attracts them…

squirrelking
    Free Member

If you don’t like midges then just get some mosquito nets. Or turn the inside lights off

Have you ever actually seen a midge?

ta11pau1

Have to say the layout of this one intrigues me, shows what you can do in a big van.

Huge wetroom at the back with space to hang bikes, then a very simple seating area which converts to a bed.

With that simple a way to change it to a bed, I’m not sure a fixed bed is needed. With a bit of sectioning off in the wetroom that would be your shower/toilet, as I’m not sure I’d want to be showering right next to the bikes 😁

spooky_b329

Ben Cathro’s van is the best ‘practical daily biking’ small van I’ve seen…really clever design where it can be a typical T5 camper with wheels off bike storage, or you slide the rock and roll all the way forward and the bikes go in complete. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwp7MQKW4mQ

Tired ambulances…check out the last couple of videos 🙂 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2UAUB0M-ok

Fixed beds…having had both types, I’m a complete convert and for a dual use van, I’d rather take a wheel off than have no fixed bed. Its an extra living space so one person can be up doing their thing whilst the other has a lie in, you don’t need storage for bedding, you can store loads of extra stuff on it (even an extra bike in a bag) and it gives you lots of easily accessible space for stuff like fridges, batteries, heaters. And as there is a permanent garage underneath, you can throw in things like firewood, cement, or like me last month, nipping around collecting unwanted hardcore, probably about 3 tons in 4 trips, without worrying about messing up the nice interior.

zerocool

Have I seen a midge? Probably, but I’ve been bitten/eaten by pretty much every biting insect in UK, Europe and some other parts of the world (kayaking the White Nile
    in Uganda during the wet season left me looking like the Elephant Man thanks to the mozzies!). I assumed that if you can get a Midge net for your head then you could get screens for the doors.

RustyNissanPrairie

Have a look at welfare vans, we had an ex network rail Transit, crash tested rear seats, microwave, Eberspacher, brewing ern, sink, lined, extra storage. Low miles and was really cheap albeit 8years ago.

Some have toilets in the rear area but ours was a normal load area with a middle bulkhead between the centre ‘living space’.
    Was a great van till it did what all Transits do and rusted to death.

paton
    Free Member

DickBarton

Nope, he has done that Atherton mince and some of the STW advent videos from the start of last year – terrible takes and chopped in bits that did work…can’t watch that – however that is my issue.

Saying that, I’ve now no idea if you can or can’t sleep in a camper – I can as I’ve done it a few times so I know I can sleep in it.

Watched the latest episode from Blake and I’m liking his enthusiasm…likewise not convinced about welding all that weight in, but his thinking sounds good.

ta11pau1

Well he needs the rear seat in metal as it’s going to be a proper seat with seat belt mounts. Then the rest of the framework could have been in wood but realistically it would save maybe 20kg? Not a huge about in the overall scheme.

I like that he’s including prices, the van was a lot cheaper than I thought!

dirkpitt74

His steel seemed cheap!
    Good idea with rerouting the existing section of loom.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have I seen a midge? Probably, but I’ve been bitten/eaten by pretty much every biting insect in UK, Europe and some other parts of the world (kayaking the White Nile
    in Uganda during the wet season left me looking like the Elephant Man thanks to the mozzies!). I assumed that if you can get a Midge net for your head then you could get screens for the doors.

@zerocool
    midges dance in between the weave of mosquito nets, I’ve watched the little bastards do it with my own eyes. Everything needs to be a tight fit, as in sealed tight, or it’s a waste of time. #vanlife open backs, nets or not, would be horrific in midge season. I’ve suffered in far better circumstances, they really can make the best site utterly miserable.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mmmm midge nets for doors.

Perfect for keeping the midges in while you sleep…..

tthew

Is this ever going to get finished? Sure he said that his mate was going to complete it and put some videos up while he was busy working in the summer…

I’m mainly interested because I want to see them put it on a weighbridge at the end and realise with all the steel, ply, water, fuel and a couple of passengers they’ve got about 20kg payload left for bikes and luggage. 😜

DickBarton

I think his mate was going to do some Instagram ‘things’ for the wiring whilst Blake disappeared for a bit…I don’t do Instagram so no idea what has been done, but I’m also wanting to see this built and done…

harrisp
    Free Member

Couple of my opinions regarding vans and campers… (I drive a lwb work van most days and have done for over 10 years and also have a lwb camper too)

Parking isn’t really an issue, yea some smaller car parks are a pain but majority of car parks are fine even if they require a bit more thought when parking.

Weight… Everyone screams about vans being overweight. My LWB transit with a full tank of fuel, furniture built with 12mm ply, full size double mattress, large gas bottle, fully insulated, fridge, hob, 40 litre water tank, seating area, 4no. Batteries, solar panels and loaded with all other kit. Comes in around 2900kg leaving 600kg for bikes, passengers and food/drink.
    A friend’s converted transit jumbo also weighed in well under 3000kg.

Avoid ambulances,
    So much aftermarket wiring to contend with and most have a gross weight over 3500kg so not driveable on a standard licence.
    They also stand around with the engine running a lot so mileage isn’t a true indicator of how much work the vehicle has actually done.

Price of used vans are still over inflated but do seem to be coming down a bit.

a11y

Weight… Everyone screams about vans being overweight.

Quite rightly, IMO – safety. Although I suspect it’s the smaller T5-sized van conversions that are most likely to have weight issues. Most will have 3,000kg or less MVW and on those it’s easy to approach that with a full conversion, 4 passengers etc.

Example being my previous T5 LWB T30 (so 3,000kg MVW) camper. Unladen panel van weight officially 1,903kg. A ‘proper’ full conversion done by Jerba inc poptop, SCA seat/bed, furniture, hob/sink, batteries etc. With a full fuel tank, camping chairs, driveaway awning, etc and everything onboard EXCEPT food, clothes, people and bikes, it was 2,650kg on local weighbridge. Very easy to add 350kg of people, bikes, food and clothes so we sailed very close to the limit on that. Possibly slightly over the year we brough 80 bottles of wine back from France.

Thankfully all owners like that run proper load-rated wheels and tyres so no concerns there… (T32 17″ steelies on mine)

tthew

Comes in around 2900kg leaving 600kg for bikes, passengers and food/drink.
    A friend’s converted transit jumbo also weighed in well under 3000kg.

Oh, fair enough. His has A LOT of steel in it though and every conceivable option and accessory.

spooky_b329

Weight… Everyone screams about vans being overweight

But thats because a lot of vans do go overweight, either smaller vans that have a gross less than 3500kg, or large vans that have a lower payload due to size and offer up more space to fill. Once you’ve done it, normally your only option is to rip it all out and start again. The largest 3.5t Ivecos have less than 900kg payload inc driver and have about 17 cubic meters to build out inside!

I have a similar payload as you but still need to be careful and my old horse trailer had a noseweight of around 250kg which of course comes off the vehicle gross. Current horse trailer is lighter on the nose which is nice.

doomanic

tthew

Looks nice for sure. Still want to know what the total weight is… 😁

monkeyboyjc

It’s a nice van/build, but, for me I’d want both my wheels on – there are absolutely loads of ‘off the shelf’ campers with garages big enough – even small ones. Conversions never seem to cut it…

weeksy

It’s a nice van/build, but, for me I’d want both my wheels on

Me too mate, me too. wheels on, brs straight, ready to roll out of the van straight away…. Plus…. i need to be able to do that with 4…. hence why i’ve got the layout i have and sacrificed the kitchen/bedroom aspect of vanning.

phil5556

It’s a nice van/build, but, for me I’d want both my wheels on – there are absolutely loads of ‘off the shelf’ campers with garages big enough – even small ones. Conversions never seem to cut it…

Any examples?

Because before I built my van we went to the motorhome show and could find very few examples (excluding cachbuilds) that would take a pair of bikes, wheels on or not.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Unless you’re using an XLWB van is a big ask putting long 29er’s in with wheels on without sacrificing half the van.

For our build, Mrs BS stipulated she was having a separate toilet/shower compartment or I was on my own in it! Ours is a L3 Boxer and I have to remove both wheels which is a massive pain in the hoop and even then they only just fit. Having said that it’s only once a day, and having the van sorted in the front makes up for the inconvenience.

matt_outandabout

Agreed a full wheels on 29er is now well over 1.8m and generally higher bars – so using huge space, not just a bed length as a wheels off is.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Everything is a compromise. It’s a mid size van and he want to fit his family in there. Different if it’s just for one or two people.

mark88

I didn’t box my garage in for that reason. I have enough space to sit up in bed, but when I’m on my own I can lie the bike flat with both wheels on. Front wheels off if I’m carrying more than one.

matt_outandabout

That’s what eldest_oab’s van is – one bike wheels on on its side. Three bikes one wheel off and a fourth needs both wheels off.

That’s in SWB transit.

alpin
    Free Member

The largest 3.5t Ivecos have less than 900kg payload inc driver and have about 17 cubic meters to build out inside!

Iveco are a H frame design…. Not chassis based so they are already carrying more weight than their Ducato/Jumper/Relay equivalent.

The Iveco is a nice van, but it’s very slim and narrows towards the roof. Very long which is great, but due to its onstruction it means the payload is low relative to other vans.

I’ve a 6.4m,H3 Ducato.
    (longest/highest). Payload is around 1300kg.

Self built. Two sliding drawers in the garage. One carries four bikes, the other carries tools, kites, shoes, chairs and table plus other random stuff.

The finished weight, i.e. the weight of just the fitted furniture and components was 2918kg with ~60 litres of diesel (90 litre tank) and ~30kg water (124 litre total capacity).

German MOT equivalent assumes only 75kg per person per available seat. We only have two seats, so we’ve a payload of ~430kg. Four bikes, plus bike gear, full tanks, general clothing, food, alcohol, other random stuff sees us…… Close to the limit…. Which side we’re on I’ll let you guess.

There is meant to be a change coming to the B1 driving licences, those limited to 3.5t, to up them to 4.25t. Partly coming in due to the weight of e-vans.

Would be ideal for us.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.