Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)
  • Blake’s van build on GMBN
  • alpin
    Free Member

It’s a nice van/build, but, for me I’d want both my wheels on – there are absolutely loads of ‘off the shelf’ campers with garages big enough – even small ones. Conversions never seem to cut it…

Spent a weekend walking around one of Germany’s biggest Campervan trade shows. We saw one van that almost did it for us. But then I don’t want to buy A Sprinter that is falling apart after five years due to rust.

Another van came close, but I don’t want a shower on the inside… Problems with condensation and drying. I’m not spending my time on campsites and am happy to shower (using hard m Marseille soap, therfore biological) outside. Also, the van was kinda spartan in the living area. Fine for a dirty weekend, less so for full time living.

Tracey

Whe we were looking the main priorities for us was that we could get 4 bikes inside without moving the bars or removing wheels and sleeping for 4 with as little faff as possible. Couldn’t find a converted van that fitted the bill so bought one that fitted what we needed. Transit based and you don’t notice the extra width when driving.
    Had it 7 years, gets used all year round in the UK and a few trips to Europe. Same model is selling for more than we paid but can’t see us selling it.

CheesybeanZ

Sprinter that is falling apart after five years due to rust.

I think your a few years out of touch with that statement.

alpin
    Free Member

I think your a few years out of touch with that statement.

Just judging by the vans I use for work. Rust coming through on the spot welds. On the bottom edge of the rear doors.

Most recent van bought new in 2017.

Each to their own, but not for me

spooky_b329

The Iveco is a nice van, but it’s very slim and narrows towards the roof

Nice… Well if you expect it to handle like a truck its ok! It’s not as wide as the Ducato but my sideways fixed bed is 5’11” (6′ at the actual slats) by using thinner insulation at either end of the bed. The trade off is the bed gets shorter as it gets higher so it’s a compromise between garage height and bed length (van width)

Olly
    Free Member

It’s a nice van/build, but, for me I’d want both my wheels on

Ive got one of those transits, but between having 3 kids, and the Mrs wanting a bed you dont have to have a ladder to get into, its a faff getting one bike into it at all. 🙁
    think i need to rip it all out and rethink it…. again.

Was pretty excited to see a pop top on it, but then it wasnt one.
    I like that the bulkhead frame is welded in actually. I avoid such fundemental fitting as that but i bet it does quite a long way to keeping the body rigid, and therefore quiet. Nice if you can bring yourself to commit.

mark88

Blake has just posted this for sale on Facebook – you’ll probably need to join the group to view: UK MTB Vans

I don’t recall ever seeing the finished van so need to revisit the series.

tthew

Saw it finished, but never saw it on a weighbridge. I’d like to know if they managed to get it below the 3.5tonne limit of that van once fully loaded. 

alpin
    Free Member

That’s 3.5t when fully loaded, ie all bikes, kit, water, diesel etc….

Think his build alone may be pushing over 3t.

sharkattack

Spoiler alert…

He wants 32k for it.

Man, the things I could do with that much cash. None of which involve trundling around ruining everyone’s view in a big grey Tranny.

snotrag

2700something kg wet according to the ad. Not bad. Could lost all the steelwork off the roof and back door for a start too.

snotrag

Apologies – “2872kg wet”

alpin
    Free Member

2872kg

Fair play if true. My van conversion (xlwb, H3 Ducato) weighed in at 2820kg with a full diesel tank.

tthew

Apologies – “2872kg wet”

Oh, OK, that sounds like a fair margin for holiday and bikes stuff. I looked at all that steel, wood, accessories, watertank etc. going in and reckoned on enough capacity for a driver, XC hardtail and spare undies. 😁

Viewing 14 posts - 81 through 94 (of 94 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.