• This topic has 26 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • BitLock for bikes
  • footflaps

A few bike related Kickstarter projects about at the moment. This one seems quite cool – a D-lock using your iPhone as the key:

just hope it’s waterproof:

GrahamS

1) he’s locked that bike up like a complete muppet.

2) what’s the point? How heavy are keys exactly?

footflaps

You can remotely locate your lock (and bike) and let others borrow it by lending them access codes etc.

I quite like the idea.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This one seems quite cool – a D-lock using your iPhone as the key:

CBA writing 2 apps?
    about 20mins before they break the code
    rain?
    hack saw?
    phone flat, raining, 5 miles from home….

trail_rat
    Free Member

technology

turning a bad day into a shit day.

my phones been stolen now i have to walk home as i cant unlock my bike ?

footflaps

CBA writing 2 apps?
    rain?

All addressed, if you look at their kick starter page. Although re Hack saw, that applies to any and every lock / frame….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

So much pointlessness in one product. Quite the achievement!

I bet Kryptonite and Abus are quaking in their boots at this groundbreaking innovation!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

OK so read the Kickstart page..

CBA writing 2 apps?

Sorry you just autocorrected smart phone with iphone

still not trusting…

rain?

not entirely convinced of most peoples claim of fully waterproof

What happens if my phone battery dies?
    Your phone just died? No problem. The BitLock app can optionally generate a 16 digit binary code for you when you register the lock. Write down the code on a piece of paper, and keep it in your wallet. In case your phone dies, simply pull out the paper and punch in the code onto BitLock to authenticate yourself and unlock/lock.

Where is the bit of paper… I’ll just call the wife…it’s raining and dark?

Just seems to be fixing a problem that doesn’t really exist

trail_rat
    Free Member

what is duncan bannatynes catchphrase ? i think its quite applicable here.

zilog6128

Jesus Christ, there’s a lot of miserable bastards this morning. Must be the weather!

Sounds like a very interesting idea, and the guy has obviously put a lot of thought & effort into it. Good luck to him.

Just seems to be fixing a problem that doesn’t really exist

So what? Plus there are already at least 932 people who disagree with you.

cardiac
    Free Member

“The shackle has a thickness of 12mm and cannot be defeated using any king of bolt cutter or hacksaw”

Strong claim

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So what? There are already at least 932 people who disagree with you.

and they are free to invest/throw their money away. If it’s a runaway success and the next must have product then I eat my hat.

zilog6128

and they are free to invest/throw their money away. If it’s a runaway success and the next must have product then I eat my hat.

I don’t think anyone’s claiming it’s going to be the next iPad. It’s a guy who has had an idea and is seeing it through. Why not focus on the positives rather than negatives?

footflaps

Jesus Christ, there’s a lot of miserable bastards this morning. Must be the weather!

I think they’re all upset about the non-hurricane….

atlaz
    Free Member

Definitely fits in that “solution in search of a problem” niche for me. I’m as likely to be carrying keys as my phone

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why not focus on the positives rather than negatives?

Because life is not a charity, why get his hopes up and invest money in something that will probably not become a viable product.

I guess I should have said it was amazing send me 12 but I’m not convinced about the tech, security, longevity, practicality and profitability of it.

But in the nice world we should all skip those bits as he is probably a nice guy.

Sorry but I keep seeing kickstart projects that are crap with very little long term future.

footflaps

Because life is not a charity, why get his hopes up and invest money in something that will probably not become a viable product.

You do know this isn’t Dragon Den? I doubt the inventor will ever read this thread or your post….

GrahamS

You can remotely locate your lock (and bike)

No you can’t. No GPS in the lock.

All that happens is your phones GPS records where your bike was when you locked it.

Potentially handy for amnesiacs or bike pub crawls I suppose?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Thats fine, well done for posting there, it’s a discussion forum where people can discuss things. Sorry of my negativity offended anyone, does it make noises when you press the unlock key if not I am well and truly OUT!

cardiac
    Free Member

The shackle at 12mm is far to thin. What will happen in extreme temperatures such as freezing or blowtorch, you will probably have a lock now stuck which you can’t open.

sugdenr
    Free Member

Overcome with incredulity at the pointlessness. Maybe their next ‘invention’ will be an electronic glass for putting water in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the I-Glass?

trail_rat
    Free Member

its not compatible with the iphone 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 yet ? what kind of future proofing is that ?

Northwind

I rather like that, not that I’d use it as I don’t have an iThing. The lock does look like a piece of crap, though.

D0NK

Looks like it might be quite clever for someone with a fleet of bikes, hire bike co or a (forward thinking) business who loan bikes for staff, but I guess they would want proper GPS location aswell. For your average punter tho it’s a solution looking for a problem, a (better) lock with a key and a spare, is a lot more useful.

shermer75
    Free Member

Looks like a good idea to me. The lock needs to really good though…

DezB
    Free Member

That’d be really handy for my quick trips to the shops. Always fiddly unlocking the bike with the key, so a handsfree unlocking system is good for me.
    Wouldn’t buy one though.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘BitLock for bikes’ is closed to new replies.