Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Bird Zero TR as a retrospective purchase- were they any good?
  • codybrennan
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m in the market for something with longer travel and slacker angles than my racy 100mm hardtail. My riding these days could do with 130mm, and something a bit lower and slacker. I am no riding god.

A friend’s friend is selling a Zero TR that looks good; I think it was the “TR.2” model so has nice 130mm Fox forks, 1 x 11, dropper, and is in really good condition.

Has anyone who owned or rode one any comments on this, yay or nay? The seller also claims that its under 12kgs (I haven’t been to see it yet) which is great if true.

thanks

joebristol

The TR is a decent trail hardtail – it has a non boost rear if that matters to you. If it’s a whole bike then not a drama and you can still buy plenty of non boost hubs so diy t you shave an issue anytime soon.

I don’t think they’re super light but they are aluminium and not built to be a full on hardcore hardtail so should be decent. I looked for a frame only one a few years back but couldn’t find one so bought a Vitus Sentier instead as CRC were punting the frames out cheaply.

For what you’re after it sounds a decent buy.

Under 12kgs would require a pretty light build kit I’d have thought. Maybe if they’re fox 32lbs and it’s got a light wheelset / tyres on it.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks Joe- non-boost is fine by me. Funnily (?) enough, I sold my eldest’s Sentier VR+ at the start of last years lockdown. I could kick myself now.

boobs

Mine was fab. Wish I hadn’t sold it !!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sorry boobs, you can have a go on this one some time (if I buy it).

Was yours light?

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got an AM from the same era – they’re light! My whole bike is about 27lbs and that’s with a Pike, fairly big tyres, sturdy wheels etc. Frame weight is 2kg, think the TR was 1800g. I don’t think frame weight is a big deal but if you care then vs recent gnarly steel frames you can be saving 2-4lbs.

The TR is apparently a bit less stiff and has longer chainstays (both good).

If you want to go even slacker it fits an angleset but if you’re used to 100mm XC bikes it’ll probably feel super slack already. Sounds a good choice!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks CGG, appreciated- that’s light! Frame weight isn’t the deciding factor, of course, but every little helps with me these days.

From what I gather, the current owner may have already fitted an angleset, job could be a good ‘un.

joebristol

If the frame is that light (1800g) that’s awesome! In comparison my (effectively medium size) Marino in steel is 3100g with rear axle and bolted seat clamp.

That comes in at 30lbs with a 140mm Pike Ultimate / Code R’s / 2.6” exo casing tyres / pretty light wheels / GX Eagle 12 speed plus carbon crank and handlebar.

You’d immediately be 2.8lbs lighter with the TR frame if that weight is correct. Plus build it with a 32 Revelation and lighter brakes and there’s some more weight saved.

codybrennan
    Free Member

IMG-0865

Seller was great, bike looks almost new. Weight is about 12.5kgs or so, which I’m more than happy with. Had a quick test blast on a local trail and it was perfect. New bike day!

thanks all

joebristol

That looks great – you’re going to have loads of fun with that!

codybrennan
    Free Member

Sure am 🙂 thanks again Joe.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

I’ve got one and love it very much. No idea what it weighs and I don’t really care, just love the way it handles pretty much anything I throw at it (I run mine with a 140mm fork).
    I’ve just bought a Bird Aether based on my experience with the Zero.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Thanks bull- only had a limited (6 miles or so) run on it last night, but its definitely ticked all my boxes. TBH, I’m kicking myself for not getting one earlier, I’ve admired Bird from afar for years. That Aether looks the business. If I go back down the full-sus route in future its top of the list.

matt_outandabout

Nice ride 👌

codybrennan
    Free Member

Ta Matt!

sirromj

I was going to post about how great mine was but you don’t hang about! I keep buying crap wheels for it though so currently it’s just languishing stripped naked in the shed 🙁

codybrennan
    Free Member

The iron was hot and I had to strike, sirromj. Oddly enough when I was googling I saw your previous posts! This one has a set of DT Swiss that are pretty decent.

joebristol

I’ve got an Aether 7 and can confirm it’s also decent. Had an Aeris 145LT before it but the Aether is a better allrounder for the mix of riding I do. 🥰

codybrennan
    Free Member

Excellent. I was so delighted earlier that I called Bird, congratulated them on being awesome, apologised for only really learning of this second hand and promising that my next bike will be new and from Bird 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Bird Zero TR as a retrospective purchase- were they any good?’ is closed to new replies.