Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Bird AM9 Review/reflections
  • hb70

I bought this at the end of January, delivered early Feb. Now a couple of months in I can reflect back on how I am finding it. A review is way too grand- “some things I think about it” is probably better.

I bought the bike for a number of reasons. The thing I really wanted was more confidence, more bottle to go downhill steeper and faster. The longer and slacker frame was what I hoped would give me that. 2 months in I have beaten every downhill time I have ever set on every section I’ve ever ridden. And then I go back and do it again. And then again, each time enjoying pushing it harder than I would ever have done on my old bike.

Some of this is the frame- longer slacker- and feeling like I am lower to the ground. Some is the boost tyres which feel more solid and grippy, and some is the stopping power from the SRAM DB5 over my old Shimano Deore. Whatever it is- I’m enjoying the downhills more than I ever have done before which was the real aim.

Other things. I bought an XL which is **** huge and barely makes it through the doorframe. I’m sure you’d call it a gate. Its in raw finish which is really nice. I bought the cheapest spec I could at just over £2k and am still really happy with everything.

I’ve not yet got the suspension dialled. Partly because I got it to approximately right, followed the guidance numbers and have just gone out and enjoyed it. What I now think is that I can take more pressure out of the shocks, enjoy the full 150mm plushness, and recognise that at my age, with my riding style the chances of me bottoming out are slim. Thats what I am playing around with now. Its a bike that could be ridden miles harder than I will ever need, but i guess thats the same with most bikes and men in their 40’s who ride casually.

Going uphill I’ve not set any records. I’m 6 years older than when I set most of them on a Giant Trance, and I’m less fit. The 1×12 has a dinner plate gear that means its just really easy to sit and spin comfortably so the gears are not chasing me up the hill. I’m not bothered- the problem is not the bike but me. I could happily sit on it all day, and it is in no way uncomfortable.

I’ve reflected that I could have had a shorter travel more trail bike, and that would have probably suited my allround riding and abilities better. Thats probably right. But the downhill was the thing I was terrible at- and now I’m not- which is why I bought it. Is it a bit like an old man buying a sports car he just pootles around in? A bit- but there are runs now where I am outpacing some of my faster riding buddies so its brought new excitement and interest to my riding.

Lastly, the customer service has been brilliant. Ben @Bird was great with the ordering, great with the Cyclescheme, and beyond great when a shifter broke under warranty. On reflection, if I was buying direct sales again- that would be really important- the lack of physical shop making trust really important.

Thats it. What else to do on a Bank Holiday under lockdown when your shifter is busted?

zezaskar
    Free Member

Had an AM9 for an year, one of the MK1 frames.
    Ended up selling it a grabbing a heavily discounted Stumpjumper Evo for these reasons:
    – the AM9 was build as a frame from my existing kit. The whole build kit was literaly falling apart after an year
    – wanted to try a radically slack steering angle
    – wanted to try a plusher rear end
    – was on a fase were my riding skills were broadening fast, wanted to see if a slightly shorter frame would help to improve that

After an year on the Stumpy Evo I can say I liked the AM9 so much that I’m considering to buy back my old frame.
    The AM9 is an amazing frame, regardless of the price. It combines DH capability with climbing performance in a way that I feel only the Ripmo matches. It’s the perfect bike for the enduro rider that also likes to pedal and climb. Or even to the trail rider that wants to go harder.
    The things I didn’t like about it:
    – the paint job is not great, but that’s something I’m OK with for the price
    – same with the chainstay protection, but I’ve just read that the Raaw rubber guard actually fits the AM9
    – the standard fork travel is 150mm, but I liked it a lot more with 160mm
    – not a lot of water bottle space, but I never tried it with the Specialized Zee cage and now Bird has a novel bracket to put it into a more favorable position
    – Lots of progression and anti-squat means that the rear suspension is not what i would describe as “plush”, if that’s what one’s after. I’d really really like to try the AM9 with either a big can air shock or a coil

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

The new ones have a less progressive linkage, which you can buy and retrofit onto older AM9. That said, the coil option is ace and much better than air even with Megneg on the stock setup.

zezaskar
    Free Member

I should have mentioned that mine had the Deluxe RT3 shock, which I think is not up to the frame’s potential.

If I get the AM9 back I’ll either buy a Marzocchi CR coil shock or get an used Super Deluxe and slap in a Megneg

scaredypants

I’ve a mk1 as well

Bought it because I wanted something longer – weirdly, to help my climbing as much as anything else

Mine has a 140mm fox 34, angleset to slack it back out and “only” a Deluxe RT shock. I suppose I was trying to make a trail bike; if they’d had a shorter travel option at the time I’d have gone for that.

… and it’s great. Does that very well indeed

zezaskar
    Free Member

Shorter fork plus angleset (lower front end again) you must end up with a seriously long reach there.

Ever tried it with a 150mm fork and regular headset?

hooli

Can I ask how tall you are and inside leg measurement for the XL?

scaredypants

Ever tried it with a 150mm fork and regular headset?

Nope, shoved on what I had
    (assuming I set the bars at the heiht I want, angleset ought to shorten the reach a bit shouldn’t it ?)

zezaskar
    Free Member

I believe it depends on the angleset, but if it’s a zero stack lower cup, they tend to lower the front end of the bike, increasing reach

chiefgrooveguru

The typical EC upper / ZS lower anglesets drop the headtube slightly by raking out the fork, which increases the reach but they also shift the upper headset bearing backwards (to get the angle change) which then decreases the reach, so although stack does decrease, head angle decreases and seat angle increases, the reach doesn’t really change. ETT shortens a bit.

The shorter fork will increase reach though.

convert

I would really like my next bike to be a Bird. But I’m not quite sure this is the bike I need. I want an all day riding but v capable 29er – a bit more trail and a bit less enduro. Ben from Bird has responded to a previous post intimating such a bike is designed but not yet at manufacture stage. I wonder how long I’ll have to wait…..

zezaskar
    Free Member

I think I’ve read something by Ben that could imply a release by the end of the year. Mind this was pre-coronavirus crisis

If you don’t want to wait, may I say that the AM9 really pedals exceptionally well, specially with lighter wheels, Exo tyres and a 30t chainring. The smaller chainring rises the already high anti-squat even higher.
    Like I previously said, this bike is pretty much like a longer Ripmo, and plenty of people use Ripmos as trail bikes

Superficial
    Free Member

People who own an AM9 – what bike did you come from, and was it 29er or 27.5?

I’m Bird-curious but don’t know if I want a 29er, coming from a 27.5 Enduro/160mm travel bike (Canyon Strive). Any thoughts?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

I came from a Bird Aeries 1.5 (27.5), only 29er I had owned was a Voodoo Bizango built up from the frame only. I really enjoy the AM9, ideally I’d have a shorter travel bike too but its a pretty good all-rounder.

cokie

I really like the look of these.
    Currently have a Cotic RocketMax, but hate the lack of proper water bottle mounts and the awful cable routing, plus it’s on the heavy side. This could well be a good replacement.

This could well replace that. The geometry looks good, I like the colours and like the fact it’s a UK company. I think I’d prefer something like the Aether- 120-130 rear with 130-140 front, but there’s probably not much of a comprise for the extra travel here.

What I don’t like is that the headline price for each build kit excludes brakes or stem or bars (or all three), so you then add another £200+ onto the build price, even when picking the cheapest option. Ben, please fix this!

joebristol

On the last point I think that’s related to lack of stock on the item specced as standard – so the system just misses it off. In particular it looks like loads of handlebars are out of stock at the moment when I was playing with the builder the other day.

I’ve had an Aeris 145LT and now on an Aether – but not tried the AM9 yet. Someone I know has one and he wants a go on the Aether so I think once lockdown has finished (whenever that is) we’ll meet up for a bike ride and swap bikes for a while.

The Aether is brilliant so far – I haven’t found a downside yet in relation to the Aeris. I suspect it’ll be on fast / big rocky stuff like Antur Stiniog or the rockier reds / blacks at BPW. For general riding the Aether pedals better, manuals easier and is generally more fun on less gnar trails.

benpinnick

What I don’t like is that the headline price for each build kit excludes brakes or stem or bars (or all three), so you then add another £200+ onto the build price, even when picking the cheapest option. Ben, please fix this!

As joe says its because the defaults are missing due to low stock. Im playing with different ways to do it right now, but the only guaranteed way is to have everything blank as selections and you build everything from scratch. But thats a proper pain for the customer so Im trying other layouts.

If there’s anyone who’s a whizz at WP and Woo and wants some work while they’re furloughed (that is legal BTW) then let me know 🙂 I have probably a months worth of web work that I would exchange for a high spec AM9 or similar!

colourofsound
    Free Member

@benpinnick I work in IT and have never touched WordPress or Woo but I’d be willing to learn for a free bike!

Seriously though…PM me

jacobff

I have had my Large AM9 for 18 months now. I really like it, I came from a 2010 Gary Fisher Roscoe (140mm FS). So this was a couple of inches longer, slacker, 26 to 29 wheels and 1x rather than 3x.

I’m 6ft with 33inch leg and I met a guy who was the same size and was very happy on the ML. TBH I probably would be too, up to your choice.

I am no riding god but I love it. The external cable routing, threaded BB, good customer service, ability to pick spec and the looks all were big plus points for me.

There is a very active FB group and a lot of people are very brand loyal moving between the Zero, Aeris and AM9.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Have had my AM9 for a year and came from a Liteville 301, which I still ride too.

6ft with 32.5’’ leg and got a L which I’m really pleased with. Fit is spot on and the geometry in terms of reach (500) only sounds a lot because it hasn’t been done much before – I think this is where MTBs should be.

Pedals uphill at least as well as the Liteville although I’ve now realised the 301 is too small for me (L but quite short).

I use the AM9 as a general trail bike although it’s a bit too much bike for much of that but it’s great for BPW and I took it to the Alps last year where it certainly out performed me.

Looking to put a coil shock on it this year.

P-Jay
    Free Member
    goby

Ah wow that looks intresting!! Anymore details @P-Jay?

convert

I saw that – on their Facebook feed. No more detail but the photo but I’m guessing the ‘9’ means it is a 29er….

Sounds good though!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Bird AM9 Review/reflections’ is closed to new replies.