Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • biodiesel
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

anyone use it? any issues to report? anyone know if it invalidates ford warranty? anyone know where to get it in north london?

that is all!

soobalias
    Free Member

http://www.goldenray.co.uk/

west of london, give them a ring for a chat particularly about the warranty issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to find a supplier I can get to for ages. There’s a place in Bristol that’s great, a bloke who runs his delivery fleet on it, but it’s a pain to get to.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I used to use 20-35% in my VAG PD engine and it definitely ran better for it, with alot less soot out of the exhaust as well. I can’t find anywhere around Newport still doing it though.

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.bio-power.co.uk/faq.htm

Although most of the waste cooking oil comes from chip shops which is largely palm oil: the ethics and environmental effects of palm oil production are questionable.

xiphon
    Free Member

schrickvr6 – which car was this?

I’m wondering if my old VAG engine would take it (1997 1.9 TDi – either AHU or AAZ engine… unsure..)

schrickvr6
    Free Member

You could probably run upto B100 in that when the temperature is the right side of 0 degrees. Mine is a 240bhp BLT in a Fabia, less knock, more power and a cleaner burn. According to my old supplier the government pretty much killed it off taxing it to death.

molgrips
    Free Member

xiphon – If it’s TDi then it’s an AHU, if it’s TD then AAZ. The AAZ will run on straight veg oil never mind biodiesel, but the AHU will run a treat on bio.

The govt taxed it the same as normal diesel afaik. To be honest, it’s not the golden bullet some people try to make out. There’s only so much used chip fat around, and I strongly suspect it all goes into fuel anyway. So if you use biodiesel from chip fat that’s just someone else that has to use a bit more normal diesel, so it cancels out.

donsimon
    Free Member

I think that this page is a good source as they don’t appear to be trying to sell you anything, as a lot of pages do.
    http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html

xiphon
    Free Member

Yup, TDi.

Ta for the info. Researching AHU makes life much easier!

theflatboy
    Free Member

interesting stuff. we’re getting an S-Max diesel soon so considering this as an occasional option. good to hear some real experiences!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Do your research carefully before using biodiesel. There are many pitfalls for the beginer, not all vehicles can use it, particularly the new VAG engines

SaxonRider

Is a 2000 2.5L TDi considered a new VAG engine?

Would it take biodiesel?

donsimon
    Free Member

Do your research carefully before using biodiesel. There are many pitfalls for the beginer, not all vehicles can use it, particularly the new VAG engines

I agree in general, but why are there exceptions? What is the reason why new VAG motors won’t run on bio? Is there real evidence or has this come from the VAG press room?

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Saxon, yes, no problem. Will probably run straight veg oil in summer too.

Don, the fuel pressure is too high in newer VAG engines, actually causes the bio to break down. It will run, but they don’t like it at all.

Many other issues to be aware off too.

Vegoilbiodiesel.co.uk is a great site

donsimon
    Free Member

That’s fair enough, I can’t help being skeptical about the relationship between car companies and petrochemical companies though.

crazy-legs

The type of fuel pump affects it too. I had an old diesel Fiat several years ago which ran better on pure veg oil than it did on diesel. When that finally rusted into oblivion, I got a Ford Mondeo diesel but the Lucas pump in that wouldn’t take veg oil or biodiesel. 🙁

When I first started using veg oil in the Fiat it was about 50p/litre (with diesel at about 90p/litre) but that was about the time there were stories in the papers about how ASDA sold millions of litres of veg oil and finally worked out it was being used to fuel cars. Prices went up massively so it almost wasn’t worth using it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘biodiesel’ is closed to new replies.