Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Biketreks Ambleside
  • footflaps

Anyone know what happened, it appears to have gone!

Just wandering around a very busy Ambleside with every shop heaving but BikeTreks seems to have shut down.

Always enjoyed wandering round it.

Blackflag
    Free Member

I hope they turn the old Ambleside store into a shop selling discount fleeces, Ambleside doesn’t have enough of those.

Maybe combine it with a cafe selling gift cards and pen knives?

eddie11
    Free Member

Shame. But perhaps less so these days the last few years the shop wasn’t up to much.

footflaps

Shame. But perhaps less so these days the last few years the shop wasn’t up to much.

True, used to have a good clothing selection upstairs, but that went some time ago..

martingrim123
    Free Member

Every one is entitled to their opinion but the Ambleside shop will be greatly missed as it has been a destination for many years.
    I believe that Biketreks has moved on to allow focus on the Ings store and the Grizedale shop and hire facility.
    In respect of clothing you need to see Keith at the Ings store for a first class service and product advise.
    As stated Ambleside has become more of a visitor attraction for the masses with all the associated parking issue.
    At least at Ings parking is free and cafe facilities are available for that post ride binge.

oldtennisshoes

Bizarre decision. Can only assume that the rent/opportunity cost of the Ambleside shop was too high.
    That shop at Ings is relatively in the middle of nowhere, and yet too near to Wheelbase for comfort IMHO.

mcnultycop

They’ve helped me out of a pickle a couple of times and I’ve had some cheap Madison and Fox clothing the last couple of times I’ve stayed in Ambleside, but it has always felt more like a nice shop where people look at expensive bikes and then leave.

scuttler

I only ever looked at the expensive bikes and left. Didn’t help that I took a ton of spare bits tyres/mech/inners/brake pads whenever I rode up there.

That shop at Ings is relatively in the middle of nowhere

Huh? Pretty much anyone not going to Keswick, or Wasdale drives right past it. Agree about proximity to Wheelbase though.

gingerbllr
    Free Member

Ings is miles better than the center of Ambleside.

No crowds
    No paying to park
    No parking disc
    No faff
    Chances are you were driving right past anyway.
    Nice big shop
    Cafe, shop and fuel right there

oldtennisshoes

Huh? Pretty much anyone not going to Keswick, or Wasdale drives right past it.

Exactly – the Ambleside shop was twixt one of the busiest car parks and the centre. The passing foot fall must have been huge.

martinhutch

It’s mostly footfall heading for the bargain fleece and Ye Olde Beatrix Potter Shortbread shop, though.

If I wanted to visit a bike shop in the south Lakes (and wasn’t already visiting Ambleside), I wouldn’t want the faff of queueing into Ambleside and finding a parking space when I could pop in to somewhere with parking/cafe or near the trails.

footflaps

I only ever looked at the expensive bikes and left

I’ve bought quite a few bits of clothing there over the years; as well as oggling the nice bikes.

I’d have thought there’d be loads of cyclists amongst the 1000s staying in Ambleside of thereabouts, it’s not just old biddies buying tartan blankets in the Lakes. It was right next to a massive pay and display carpark (although that is often full).

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I bought a bike from there once. True story. I think having a big shop at Inge and a big shop in Ambleside would be quite overhead-y, They weren’t there all that long, used to be by the chippy if you cast your minds back, will miss dropping pasty crumbs from the apple pie cafe all over the Santa cruzs though, was kind of an Ambleside ride ritual

martingrim123
    Free Member

I agree a bizarre decision but faced with access issues for both customers and deliveries as well as the shop visited by a good number passers by finding something to do if raining I guess it was on the cards.
    The shop had just been full revamped which would have cost a bit but even so the need to move away must have been strong.
    As for Ings being out of the way it’s still gives good access to the Kentmere fells and some interesting road options.
    Wheelbase have managed to keep it going and they are just down the road and the Ings store has been open for a good four years so we’ll see.
    As for Grizedale I hope the trail center has or is going to be upgraded as last time I visited it was pretty tired with only the bridleways worth the effort.

lowey

You get the chance to admire some of Binner’s fine artwork at Ings too.

onehundredthidiot

No no no. A tube is now going to cost £50k.

All those nice campers next door.

StirlingCrispin

I always used to cycle past and go to Ghyllside Cycles. A proper shop.

matt_outandabout

I agree, my memories of them in the nineties and early noughties was a great shop.

I walked in once with a friend, who spotted a very shiny (I think) Yeti on display. He stopped, stared at the bike for at least a minute, then turned to the shopkeeper, looked him in the eye and asked ‘can I lick you’re top-tube? That’s one sexy bike…’

Cue everyone descending into tears of laughter.

teethgrinder

Bought my HB.160 from their Ambleside shop, and been back many times to tag along to Hope demo rides. Cracking little shop (it was). Never had a problem parking in the main car park, but I guess I was just lucky.

chakaping
    Free Member

Not really a bizarre decision given the likely price of rent in Ambleside.

And not sure how many passing tourists would pop in to buy high-end bike stuff at full RRP.

AlexSimon

I don’t tend to buy stuff from wandering into a shop, so footfall might not be very important. I’m much more likely to make a journey specifically to buy something, in which case as others have mentioned, most would go past Ings.
    The Grizedale venture sounds interesting. I wonder if it’ll lead to trail improvements! 🙂

To be honest, large swathes of the Lakes are dead to me these days as it’s just too busy.

To those saying it’s too close to Wheelbase – it’s possible that the concept of comparison shopping would work for them both.

Marin
    Free Member

Makes sense to me, easy parking, no milling crowds, I spend a lot of time staying in Langdale Valley and can never be bothered going into Ambleside.

augustuswindsock

I really liked the aesthetic of the shop, and would rarely visit Ambleside without popping in, usually just before or after visiting the apple pie shop, I rarely actually bought Anything though (from the bike shop, could hardly move after eating all that pie!!).
    I imagine Ghyllside cycles will be pleased at a bit less competition.

oldtennisshoes

Not really a bizarre decision given the likely price of rent in Ambleside.
    Hence my observation on rents and opportunity costs.

And not sure how many passing tourists would pop in to buy high-end bike stuff at full RRP.
    You would hope that they do/did have a handle on this.

Anyway good luck to them. The Grizedale trails are interesting – not sure gnar core MTBers are likely to be the target market though.

mick_r

They were good as the little shop by the chippy (actually used to stock things that wore out bitd like cones for Shimano hubs).

Lots of mentions of shop revamps in this thread. Never understood their need for super bling retail outlets – my experience of Ings is deserted, library quiet, daren’t touch the beautifully folded expensive clothes and massively expensive bikes. Nearby Wheelbase is a bit more rustic, wider range of stuff, some occasional bargains and ALWAYS people trying out and buying bikes.

Did once try and buy a Crux CX at Ambleside – got lied to about SUK not having stock of the model we wanted so they could flog the one in the shop (Specialized had piles of stock when KMB checked for us later the same day).

binners

I’ve done a few jobs for them, but not spoken to them for a bit, but the last time I did they were umming and aahing about the long term viability of it then, for the obvious reasons stated. The price of rents in Ambleside and the lovely new Ings shop showing how preferable a specifically designed space is to a cramped premises that was always a compromise.

They’re a lovely, very professional bunch at Biketreks and I was absolutely overjoyed when they gave me the opportunity to plaster my work all over the pristine walls of their amazing new Ings shop.

This illustration of the Ings shop and landscape is a full wall mural as you walk in

null

This ones up behind the tils on the Mezzanine

null

This one on the back wall upstairs

null

augustuswindsock

Top job banners, I’m going into Ings shop next time I’m passing just to see the muriels!

aP
    Free Member

For us, Biketreks had good and interesting stock 20 years ago. We bought stuff every time we were there. Then about 2005 it changed and they had nothing that interested us. The staff weren’t interested in serving people, the bikes were nothing special and the clothing was meh.
    So we’ve bought nothing there for 15 years. Bought stuff in Wheelbase though. And KMB.

pmcclure
    Free Member

I’ve been led to believe that Biketreks asked the building landlord for a rent holiday during the coronavirus lockdown. The landlord noticed how well the shop was doing in bike sales etc and said no, so they decided to close the shop. They now run the cycle shop in Grizedale forest.

martinhutch

The landlord noticed how well the shop was doing in bike sales

How would they know that?

footflaps

To be honest my favourite bike shop in the Lakes is now Push Cartel in Ambleside, as I’m pretty road a roadie only now. Some very expensive bikes in there!

jonk

My old man knows keith and he told him that the landlord wanted double the rent on a new 10 year lease so, they left.

cloggy

Ambleside’s OK if you want a large wedge of your dosh going in rent and rates. I’d rather buy direct/web or out of town

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Biketreks Ambleside’ is closed to new replies.