Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bikepacking bags
  • lesgrandepotato

Hopping to get on the BAM bandwagon in the coming months. I’ve got the bike and the kit. Just need some kit bags to move it all about.

Choice is between Ortlieb or Alpkit. Anyone got anything objective to say between them?
    The Alpkit looks more basic but has a nice long warranty. Ortlieb is well detailed and very nice….
    Is it worth the extra spendiez?

BoardinBob

I use the Planet X Podsac stuff. They’ve survived some big jaunts in brutal Scottish conditions. Stable on the bike, waterproof, great price. I’m not sure what spending you more gets apart from maybe weight saving

https://www.planetx.co.uk/c/q/bikepacking/bikepacking-bags

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve got the ortlieb roll top frame bag and dropper friendly seatpack on test for ukgravelco.com at the moment.
    Nothing less than impressed so far
    PXL_20221023_142029644.MP

PXL_20221014_092929537

On a bike with a dropper
    PXL_20221010_124756571

scotroutes

TBH most of the shittiest designs and materials have been weeded out by competition. Even the newer Apidura stuff is decent kit. That being the case you’re unlikely to go far astray with either of the brands you’ve shortlisted. However, the Alpkit handlebar harness doesn’t play nicely with all light set-ups so it’s worth investigating things like that. Also, no need to buy it all from one brand.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve got a mix and match of all sorts of bags, depending on the bike and what I’m doing.

I always double bag my stuff, I never rely on a bike packing bag to be waterproof so I don’t see the point spending the extra for it.

All my alpkit stuff works and works well and has lasted.

I also make my own gear or upgrade cheaper bags I buy and make them stronger, I replace plastic buckles with metal ones and add extra straps.

The cheaper bags are fine for what they are but they will move more or sway and probably rub your frame. More expensive bags usually have a better system to attach them. If you do buy cheaper bags, you might just have to get creative with straps or brackets etc like the alpkit exo rail or the rhino rail.

Exo-Rail

damascus
    Free Member

However, the Alpkit handlebar harness doesn’t play nicely with all light set-ups so it’s worth investigating things like that.

The problem I had was once a bag was strapped to the bars you had very little room for your hands and no where for your lights.

On my mtb i cut some small slots in some old school L bend bar ends which I run in board. Using an alpkit joey I run a alpkit 20L drybag that straps to the bar ends and the joey harness keeps it all off my steerer and away from the cables leaving space for my hands with the added bonus of extra hand position that’s slightly aero.

It took a while to find a set up I was comfortable with. Weirdly, I found not being able to see my front wheel meant I was useless at riding anything technical.

Also, no need to buy it all from one brand

Once it’s covered in mud you can’t tell

The other option if you have lots of money is a tailfin pannier rack and bags. Has the added bonus of working on all your bikes with the right rear wheel adapter.

shermer75
    Free Member

What is BAM?

rOcKeTdOg

The other option if you have lots of money is a tailfin pannier rack and bags. Has the added bonus of working on all your bikes with the right rear wheel adapter.

Tailfin review
    Tailfin Aeropack Rack Review

johnnystorm

@shermer75

BAM Bivi-A-Month

Complete 12 consecutive months with at least one night out a month.

stumoses

I use an Alp Kit frame bag and bar bag and an Apidura saddle bag. All great and can’t grumble. I’ve ridden various multi day rides with no issues. The only issue I have with the Apidura is it is rather fiddly to attach. I’m using an Alp Kit saddle and have big paws!
    Would show you a photo but struggling to work out how to attach an image!

dovebiker

Generally, Ortlieb stuff is well made but fabrics can be stiff/bit unwieldy which can be awkward when you’re trying to stuff down to the last cubic centimetre, a frame bag doesn’t quite fit your frame or a crease in a bag wears or rubs.
    I’ve got a couple of Alpkit custom frame bags as there was nothing off the shelf suitable at the time, plus a few dry bags, pouches and stuff. Never used a bar harness, just strapped a heavy duty dry bag to my bars.
    Never got on with seat packs – just strap a drybag to a rear carrier – 20 litres, done.

shermer75
    Free Member

johnnystorm

@shermer75

BAM Bivi-A-Month

Complete 12 consecutive months with at least one night out a month

Ooooo that sounds good!!

scotroutes

Do it according to the Bearbones Rules and you can even get a badge to show off your commitment!

shermer75
    Free Member

Nice!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.