Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bikehut Shimano mineral oil
  • submarined
    Free Member

Anyone used this on their brakes?
    I’ve tried it on 3 brakes now, and I’m not sure if I’m imagining, but it seems to make the lever return a bit more sluggish. Anyone else noticed this?

cp

The only time I’ve had issues with Shimano brakes (slow lever, then lever seal failure) is after using Halfords LHM.

I just use Shimano fluid now – never had any issues and it lasts so long it’s cheap in the grand scheme of things.

hooli

I have the Halfords stuff on 2 bikes and they have been fine. Ideally I would have used Shimano stuff but CRC let me down and I had to grab whatever I could at short notice.

With the exception of it being green and not pink, I couldn’t tell the difference.

furryaardvark
    Free Member

LHM is Citroen brake suspension fluid. RollyRoyce used it a long time ago too. Every motor factor will have a litre. You probably need an egg cup full.

hooli

I think we may be talking about 2 different products in the posts above. Halfords have 2 products:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-lube/bikehut-mineral-oil-brake-fluid—125ml-169049.html

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-and-fluids/brake-clutch-fluid/comma-l.h.m.-plus-1l-124424.html

I was referring to the bikehut stuff in the 1st link.

alan1977
    Free Member

ive used the bikehut stuff, haven’t noticed any issues

P-Jay
    Free Member

I used to use the Bike Hut stuff.

I had two sets of XT M785 brakes, they worked fine, well as fine as that era of Shimano brake worked.

About a year after I bought them I bleed them with Bike Hut Minieral Oil. About 6 weeks later the rear caliper started to leak, this wasn’t uncommon for that brake. I replaced the caliper, the front followed a couple of weeks later, I replaced that too. During this time the levers started to feel stiff, I put this down to the caliper issues. Eventually the lever failed, the piston / seal gave up and it pretty much locked on. I returned the lot to CRC who replaced them both. Shimano, at the time they were defending the ‘moving brake point’ issue sent out a sort of release via their Rep in Europe explaining firstly how to bleed them perfectly, which did massively improve the bite point thing, but they still did it a bit, they almost gave a warning about non-shimano oil and it possibly degrading seals.

I couldn’t say if it was the fluid that killed them, but I know CRC mentioned that if Shimano didn’t accept the warranty claim immediately, they would be testing the fluid in the system.

Given how cheap Shimano fluid is, and how it doesn’t go off like Dot fluid, I’d just use the Shimano stuff if I had Shimano brakes again.

endomick
    Free Member

I bought a litre of shimano mineral oil for a tenner a few years back, why bother with anything else.

submarined
    Free Member

Interesting, thanks all.
    Regarding ‘why not use Shimano?’
    I would, if they’re was somewhere that sold it close to me. Like Halfords. Who sell bikehut stuff instead.
    I’d also be interested as to where you can get a litre for a tenner.

bensongd
    Free Member

I bought a litre from leisure lakes last week, think it cost about £22.50 including delivery

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bikehut Shimano mineral oil’ is closed to new replies.