Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Bike2work – who hjas got what on the scheme?
  • racing_ralph
    Free Member

pix and details of what ya got and how much it cost in the end (total)

clubber
    Free Member

Pace RC303 (frame only)

Specialized Langster (sold to buy my Cross bike)

Bianchi road bike

All worked out around 51% of rrp.

druidh
    Free Member

Kona Sutra. It was £1,100, but I paid the extra £100 myself, then the contributions and a £45 payment at the end. I also got £150 to spend on bits and bobs at Halfords. So – I reckon I paid almost £700 for £1,250 of bike and bits.

Focus Cayo. Same arrangement, except it was just under the £1,000 limit. So, I paid around £600 for £1,175 of bike and bits.

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Orange P7 singlespeed. Worked out at £1050 with the custom colour, but it looks like I may be leaving the company in a few months, does anyone know what happens if you leave the company after the years payments are up, someone said to me that the bike belongs to the company for 3 years?!

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

You normally pay a settlement at the end of the agreement, then its yours, I paid £57 for my Rocklobster 853.

Still paying off my Tricross SS.

funkynick

I’ve got the dilemma of what to get, but have no idea what I can get that won’t overlap on any of my current bikes too much… but I want to do it as it seems silly to pass up a 40% discount and a years interest free credit!

Possibly thinking a road bike(Boardman), cross bike(Croix de Fer), cargo bike(Yuba Mundo), race bike(Cube or Boardman)…

It’d be a lot easier if they gave us more than 1k to spend though…

ShinyRedOrange
    Free Member

Did you do it twice? I thought you could only do it once…

Can you do twice if you change employers?

grumm
    Free Member

Sorry crap phone pic

Specialized Pitch Pro. The RRP was £1400 when I got mine, so I paid the £400 up front. Got a couple of months left to pay it off. No VAT discount for me so not ridiculously cheap, think it will end up being about £1100, but I did get £140 of free Spesh goodies as well.

clubber
    Free Member

You can do it any number of times. Some places will even let you run more than one at a time.

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice – and skipped a year in the middle. I did think about just buying anything that year and selling it for a profit, but in theory at least, the bike belongs to the employer while you’re paying it so I could only really have done that after it was a year old – cutting into my profit margin 🙂

jim
    Free Member

Standard flat-bar roadrat here with some extra bit and bobs. Will have saved around %40 off RRP in the end I think.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

mrsmw has just ordered an Airnimal Chameleon on b2w, £1500 all in I think.

Is owning a folding bike grounds for divorce?

jimmy

yes. unless she’s racing here at 20:20.

http://www.nocturneseries.com/edinburgh/raceprogramme.php

mossimus
    Free Member

Got a Yeti 575 a couple of years ago RRP was just over £3K think I ended up paying £1540.

Just about to get a Trek 1.7 costing £925 RRP will end up costing me £474 so £39 per month.

Shandy
    Free Member

07 Commencal Meta 552 for about £1200 and an 08 SX Trail for around £1800, neither cost me anything.

auldy
    Free Member

Orange Prestige S last year and Specialized FSR XC Comp this year both through Halfords Scheme – and no you cannot add to £1000 limit – I tried and failed . . .

Rickos
    Free Member

jambo got a set of Totems for his DH bike.

marty
    Free Member

lemod fillmore here in ’07. was going to get a plastic apollo, but i’m out the door 1/4 of the way through the scheme year and the final settlement payment would have come out of my final wage packet post-tax.

jam-bo

jambo got a set of Totems for his DH bike.

shush it…

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I got this at Christmas after a 3 month wait. They had the cheek to charge £50 on top to use the Cycle Scheme. Didn’t tell me this until it was all done.

side profile

and the lady got this from Cycle Surgery last year

Emma's new bike

theginjaninja
    Free Member

Yes you can add to the £1000 limit. The Condor was £1150 including charge. You just pay the extra in most shops.

ransos
    Free Member

Giant Trance 4 here. I stripped it to the bare frame, swapped over all the nice kit from my old bike, then flogged my old frame and kit from the Trance on ebay. Would have worked out really cheap had I not splashed out on some RC41s…

addy6402

Rock Lobster 853 with full SLX and Hope Pro II hubs – £1000 on the dot. 🙂

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

I am just trying to decide what to get on the scheme myself! have to go through Edinburgh Bike Co-Op and they have a few things for around £1000.

Not sure if I should get a MTB (Maybe their own brand scandium model which is pretty well equiped and light at 11kg) or a decent hybrid which would be ideal for the commute but no use off the road!

barca
    Free Member

I have yet to take my own photo of it but here’s the catalogue image: . It looks even better in real life and double better with me on it :-). It now has a carbon seatpost, Deda lightweight stem and if the postie plays fair today some carbon risers.
    Cost me £935:00 but it’s gone to nearly £1100 due to exchange rates now apparently. It will actually cost me £520 when it’s paid for next year.
    Jenn Hopkins reviews it in this months’ WMB and says it’s fast and lively 9/10. I concur. It is :-). Oooh, I could gush about it all day.

edit: You can add to the £1000 limit at Surosa if you want to. An ace bike shop as well.

superdale
    Free Member

Is it possible then to buy a frame only on the scheme and build it up yourself or does it have to be a complete bike to qualify, or are some shops more flexible?

mcboo
    Free Member

…..and Evans will let you pay as much as you want over £1k too. didnt know Condor let you do the same otherwise I would have set-up the company scheme with them.

skiprat
    Free Member

Right, i know these schemes are to get people to ride to work rather than take the car but……

……..do they check how far away from work you live and do they know you won’t want to cycle that far on a daily basis??

I live nr Barnsley and work nr Leeds, approx 35 mile each way (on the motorway). I have use of a van due to me having to go to other sites, visit customers etc.

Can i still get a bike through the cycle to work type schemes??

clubber
    Free Member

yes, you can

VassagoJay
    Free Member

My workplace decided not to run with it 🙁 it took 16 months for them to decide that !! and I work for for a pretty large company

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Bianchi road bike. Retail £700 and paid real money (net of tax) of £420.

Started commuting on 2nd March this year and passed the 1,000 commuting miles last week 8)

Rickos
    Free Member

Right, i know these schemes are to get people to ride to work rather than take the car but……

……..do they check how far away from work you live and do they know you won’t want to cycle that far on a daily basis??

I know a pilot for Virgin. Lives in Wales, flies outta Gatwick and getting a new Trek on C2W.

cxi
    Free Member

I got one of the Planet X C18 bikes (SL Pro)

Works out silly out when I’ve finish paying for it. Full carbon frame & forks and a smattering of Dura-Ace for £500 to £600 – bargain!

jam-bo

i know a guy who works offshore on survey boats and he managed to get one…

jojoA1
    Free Member

I got a Planetx carbon road bike last year and this year just got the same as Barca and LOVING it.

Trying to flog the Rebas off it though, so anyone interested in some 09 Reba SLs with a very short steerer (173mm)??

lister-hooded
    Free Member

Flat Bar Road Rat here….

With the Hope upgrade

baa
    Free Member

Road Rat with hope breaks, it took about 5 months & lots of phone calls,
    it was through Halfords.Because they kept losing my details & application
    forms, & the company I work couldn’t run a railway, I haven’t paid a penny
    for the bike 😀

theginjaninja
    Free Member

I know a guy who’s an astronaut and he managed to get one. 😀

aw
    Free Member

jim/lister-hooded/baa – I’m thinking of buying one of these, any good?

Standard flat-bar roadrat here with some extra bit and bobs. Will have saved around %40 off RRP in the end I think.

Flat Bar Road Rat here….

With the Hope upgrade

Road Rat with hope breaks, it took about 5 months & lots of phone calls,
    it was through Halfords.Because they kept losing my details & application
    forms, & the company I work couldn’t run a railway, I haven’t paid a penny
    for the bike

My other option is a boardman road bike, either carbon or alu frame

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Barca that’s the Cube that I wanted but it weird some of their sizes go down to a 15″ but not all ..that one didn’t! So got the Cube women’s specific one at £900 is (£1000 I think now). We can only get a bike on B2wk scheme every 18 months depends on your companies scheme.
    I think I am he only one who hasn’t got a bike on the scheme either but at present I can’t justify another one!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Bike2work – who hjas got what on the scheme?’ is closed to new replies.