Reusing bicycle tyres

Home Forum Bike Forum Reusing bicycle tyres

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Reusing bicycle tyres
  • mtbtomo

I have some wooden sleeper steps up to the garden and in the wet they’re pretty lethal and slippy.

So in a recycling kind of way, I was thinking I could perhaps cut up some old mountain bike tyre into strips and nail them to the sleepers as sort of grip strips?

Is that a naff idea or just wouldn’t work? Or would it just create a bigger trip hazard?

Would I be able to or need to stick the rubber to the sleepers as well as nails?

sheldona

It’ll look shite, imo of course

joe1983

Might look a bit naff? Try it, if it works and doesn’t look too rubish happy days. If not rip ’em up and move on

mtbtomo

Well, ok, not using bike tyres, then is there any kind of coating I can buy to make them less slippy in the wet?

Its not meant to look pristine…

taka

ash felt or chiken wire

joe1983

Probably something specific out there, but what about the stuff they put on shed roofs? Grippy – check. Waterproof – check. Cheap – check. Use flathead galvanised nails to secure it to the steps as you would a shed roof – jobs a goodun

GhostRider

Probably won’t meet the Disability and Disabled Access codes, you may have to use white wall reflective tyres therefore creating a contrasting edge for the visually impaired, on a more positive note if there’s tread on the tyres you have managed to provide a tactile edge that will assist anyone with a more general disability, but it will look crap and first time your pis$%d after a summer BBQ you will fall and hurt yourself.

meeeee

what about just waiting for them to dry and painting a mix of varnish (or glue) and sand on them?

TandemJeremy

You can get specific paints for this – I persuaded my folks to get some for their steps. google is your friend

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I zip tied some old road bike tyres to my son’s climbing frame. Worked really well as anti slip steps.
    So I say go for it!

mtbtomo

Nice one DezB, the only positive comment I’ve had about my apparently crap idea 😉

I’ll try it and if it looks super naff then no doubt the boss will tell me, and it’ll be back to coating/varnish/paint/whatever….

Si

Rubber crumb and a very strong adhesive would solve the problem. Mark out a strip about 10mm wide and glue, weight down and brush excess off.

This is what I have been advised by an environmental contractor to use and will be doing so for some boardwalks soon to be installed down through sand dunes to one of our beaches.

So maybe you could shred the tyres?

taka

joe it called ashfelt =p

thomthumb

one of our beaches.

sounds like a nice gaff si! 😯

you want some sand and paint like they use on north shore

Si

By our I technically mean “The National Trust” and when I say sand dunes, I technically mean when we’ve created them…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I think it’s a good idea, but I like recycling junk for gardening purposes anyway.

I’d probably like how it would look too.

Cynergy

Chicken wire

smiffy

Grip tape (for skatebourds) is the pro-solution, but I like your tyre idea.

I converted a set of road shoes into MTB shoes by evo-stiking the tread of Fire XC Pro to the bottom once.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Reusing bicycle tyres’ is closed to new replies.