Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bike stolen :( and insurance questions
  • ossify

My bike was stolen yesterday.
    Locked it up outside the house for a while and stupidly forgot to bring it in overnight. Woke up to a broken lock and no bike 🙁
    Please keep an eye out for a Calibre Two.Two for sale soon around Salford! It’s listed on Bike Register.

Thankfully it was insured (Nationwide home insurance). They want me to find a like-for-like bike and show it to them and they’ll pay up, the problem is the value is likely to be quite different.
    The Two.Two is not sold any more and had a very good spec for its price (I paid about £350 on offer).
    I haven’t yet searched properly but it does seem that anything remotely similar costs upwards of £500, something along the lines of the Vitus Nucleus maybe. Big-brand stuff can be £500+ with mechanical brakes and Tourney gears.

I’m not complaining mind you, but worry that the insurance folk might! Assuming I can’t find anything closer to the original price, anyone have experience on how they’re likely to react?

oldtennisshoes

Nationwide aren’t going to care as long as you don’t take the piss.
    Have they not pointed you at Wheelies?

MoreCashThanDash

If you can find something of the nearest comparable spec, that’s the replacement value, assuming it’s a new for old cover.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

My insurer at the time (Aviva) left it all to Wheelies and when they tried to downgrade my wifes bike in a like for like comparison I just extracted all the specs from the manufacturer website and listed a piece by piece comparison of where the offered bike was of lower spec as the stolen bike was now discontinued.
    They accepted this and they upped the offered bike to an equivalent spec.

ossify

Ok thanks I’ll keep looking around for a bit then. No mention was made of Wheelies, probably because Nationwide do a cash payout not a replacement bike.

sync
    Free Member

You may actually get more bike for your money with a new bik than cash settlement due to the discounts they receive, price rises over last 2-3 years and availability at the moment.

Find a comparably specced 600-£-700 main brand bike on wheelies etc and they may be more willing to fund as a bike rather than £400 cash as an example.

metcalt

I had a similar thing when my bike got stolen, it had cost me around £1500 to build so that’s what I’d declared as it’s worth on my insurance. When I claimed my insurer (Aviva) asked me to get a quote from a local bike shop for a bike of the equivalent spec, which came out at £1950, they paid out without issue (after sending me down the Wheelies route first).

riddoch

I had similar to metcalt, most of the bits were bought second hand from here but the insurance company matched it to a similarly specced new Scott. I had provided a list of what i’d actually paid but they still paid out to their limit was  which was more than I’d paid so more than happy.

I’ve always found house insurance much easier to deal with than car insurance the couple of times I’ve used it.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Oh yeah, Don’t forget to tell them about any changes you might have made. Depending on your insurance you might get all that back separately.

I’d upgraded, forks, shock, bars, brakes, pedals and added a chain guide & bashguard and got money for all of them. Even got compensated for the RRP mud guards that were on it at the time too.

I’d have stayed with them if they hadn’t then subsequently doubled my renewal.

MoreCashThanDash

Just had an accident damaged frame dealt with by Aviva – paid me for the replacement frame, the extra cost of the custom paint job and the cost of getting the LBS to swap the parts over 👍

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bike stolen :( and insurance questions’ is closed to new replies.