Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Bike Spares for Remote(ish) Hardware Store – Touring Content
  • dovebiker

My career as an island postman has sadly come to an end after Royal Mail couldn’t provide me with a reliable and more importantly, legal vehicle – you can read about in in this Sunday’s Observer.

Ever onward, I’m now working in one of Tobermory’s institutions, Brown’s which is a general merchants established in 1830 – think old fashioned hardware store but with a fine selection of whisky. There is a much unloved cycle section and the new owners have asked me to suggest a selection of spares to carry – particularly as the nearest bike shops are Oban or Fort William. Thinking along the lines of the following(we don’t have much space):

Inner tubes – popular sizes
    Puncture + Tubeless repair kits + sealant (depends on what the distributor has)
    Tubeless valves
    Brake pads – popular disc + rim
    Pumps + CO2 inflators + puncture repair kits
    Chains – 8,9,10,11,12 + spare links
    Spare cables – brake + gear
    Chain lube + grease
    Basic tools
    Bottles + cages
    Lights

Maybe:
    Hydro bleed kit
    Spare tyres – 700c + 650B
    Selection of small bags/seat
    Chamois cream

Any other suggestions based on your experiences on tour and those situations where you wished you could have got something?

scotroutes

Spokes

ton

cheap pedals. i bought some in a SuperU in france. got me home.

tjagain

A few common bearings especially loose or caged ball bearings?

Tyres – just a few basic ones but include 26″ and 29″  – just basic cheapo ones as a get you home rather than a range of posh ones

vlad_the_invader

Spare AXS batteries 😄

Chamois cream? Really?? (I’ve not been to Mull so not sure how much riding there is…) I suppose it doesn’t go off though, so doesn’t matter if it’s not a big seller

franksinatra

Nothing to add other than to say that Browns is fabulous

Edit, one of two generic saddles to get people moving again. Broken saddle is end of bike tour

joshvegas
    Free Member

Spokes

Specifically the longest box of spokes and an sbender to make any size spoke that can slot in even without cassette removal.

scaredypants

Spokes

Specifically the longest box of spokes and an sbender to make any size spoke that can slot in even without cassette removal

Or those adjustable kevlar string ones – just a couple/few would do

bikesandboots

Tyre boot
    Tubeless rim tape
    Tyre levers
    Book of routes on the island
    Various bolts, e.g. chainring, cleats
    Frame/luggage straps

I’d think what type of riders are there or visiting, e.g. MTB, gravel

Then scenarios, e.g. forgot something, lost something, broke something, have a new requirement due to doing a new type of riding.

Ambrose

How long does it take CRC/ Wiggle to deliver to the island?

Are you able to offer your services as a mechanic?

rickmeister

Before I made a suggestion I googled the shop website, pleased Tobermory Cat features there!

Assuming you have a general supply of nuts and bolts to fix stuff thats fallen apart, my suggestion would be a good track pump and metric hex handtools in a fixing station. Like at ski resorts. Tools wired to something but for general use to passing cyclists. If you’re selling tubes and tyres, a track pump would be handy.

Cone spanners somewhere in store… who carries those if you have Shimano wheels?

dovebiker

How long does it take CRC/ Wiggle to deliver to the island?

About a week as it comes Evri and the courier only delivers here one day a week. With normal postal service (ha ha!) you can get Amazon next day.

Are you able to offer your services as a mechanic?

We have a few tools and I’d offer to help, but not to the extent of booking repairs etc as we don’t have room to store the bikes. I do service a few bikes at home where I have a workshop/more tools. I also have a few boxes of spokes – spoke bender might be a bit spendy at the moment, maybe some long, straight-pull ones and some pliers for a temporary repair.

Yes, Tobermory Cat does grace us with his presence, his actual name is Ledaig (after the whisky) he’s 15 now and a bit grumpy.

slowol

Definitely need to include 26 inch tyres. Also what type of bike do the local kids ride? They’ll be your repeat customers.
    Chain tools are handy.
    I think we went in that shop for something random when we went to Mull. Good shop but we didn’t need bike parts as we were in a van.
    I know it’s cheating but is your most useful ‘tool’ am Amazon fast delivery account so you can get anything in a day or so? I know it’s cheating but it is good service for your customers.

montgomery
    Free Member

You could streamline the selection of chains, I think. Please post up the link to the Observer article when it’s published.

StirlingCrispin

Tyres – definitely tyres.
    Cable outers (if these split you are snookered big time) and some outer ends.

Zipties
    Fuse wire
    Gorilla / Duck tape

Rain capes – the cheap festival types.

Sudocrem
    Vaseline (repacked a friend’s front hub with Vaseline in remotest Norway)

nixie

Quick links in a variety of sizes. Could save a broken chain.

highlandman
    Free Member

Sh-m51 shoe cleat. Far and away the most common example used.

tthew

Please post up the link to the Observer article when it’s published

Came here for this.

I’d not bother with trendy tubeless stuff or CO2 cartridges and the like when tubes and a mini pump are properly universal.

Bruce

Things I have had to buy when away touring on a bike.
    New cassette.
    Hypercracker to change cassette.
    Crank remover and BB tool to tighten up loose BB
    New pump.
    Three tandem 700c tyres when they kept exploding.
    One 700c hybrid tyre which exploded while I was in the cafe.
    One 26″ inch tyre to replace my spare after I gave my spare to a passing American who’s tyre exploded.
    New back wheel when the rim split between the spokes.
    New back wheel when the rim got to thin and split.
    Multiple tubes and puncture patches.
    What ever spares you take are not the ones you need.
    Loaded touring is tough on wheels and tyres.
    This is over multiple years.

spooky_b329

A mixed box of every bolt type you can think of. I spent several days looking for a bolt/seatclamp in the Highlands after snapping my seat collar bolt on day 1 of a holiday (luckily it was a family holiday rather than a riding holiday)

A pair of wheels (prob QR), we’ve bought a Halfords special after exploding a freehub on Snowdon.

If you want a universal replacement thru-axle, Tailfin do a really clever one with 4 interchangeable thread pitches, adjustable length and a selection of end cap styles. It’s designed for their rack but would be ideal as a one size fits all emergency replacement. It fits every thru axle bike we own.

spooky_b329

PS I’d agree with Bruce about the heavier tools you wouldn’t normally carry, especially if you are stocking relevant parts. You can’t get hypercrackers any more but probably better just to stock a proper lockring removal tool, and perhaps just loan/rent it out.

You could list the bike section on Google maps as a separate business (located within the main shop) to help people so are searching for a bike shop.

StirlingCrispin

Ooh – toe straps and bungee chords.

Over the years leading group tours it’s been broken racks and ripped luggage that have caused the most problems.
    That and suspected heart attacks.

matt_outandabout

Bummer about the Postie job.
    🙁

spooky_b329

Is the article in print only? Can’t see it online.

dovebiker

Here’s the article in today’s Observer:

Observer

leffeboy

Spokes are always the one that has caused me the biggest trouble when touring but there are so many sizes :(.  A longer spoke and the ability to cut/roll threads.  You would need to price it properly though to make it worthwhile.

Agree on no need to stock tubeless stuff, just tubes.  Maybe not even pumps as long as you have one at the shop.  And tyres.  Ripping tyres or getting a big cut will kill a trip and you don’t really need so many options.

longdog
    Free Member

If people ‘on tour’ are anything like me probably the budget end of stuff that will get them by for now. For example Tailfin stuff looks great, but far too pricey for me.

My freehub went once when away and I couldn’t afford £££ on a fancy rear wheel and cassette the only shop near stocked, and they couldn’t or wouldn’t replace tje free hub. Cable tie-ing cassette to spokes seemed the only option. Same when my forks went when bikepacking, I just had to finish the trip rather more aero than when I started out 😂😂😂 as the forks I could get at the nearest shop were far too £££. The other notable time was when’s pedal chewed up a crank arm and the only cranks available were all top end jobbies. That time next day prime delivery saved the day 😁

Sorry about your job.

montgomery
    Free Member

Here’s the article in today’s Observer

No surprises there. Bunch of incompetent shysters. After working for them throughout Covid I couldn’t sack them off quick enough once the jobs market started opening up again in late 2021. Managed three days of a month’s notice before chucking my ID lanyard at the DOM, telling him to stick it up his arse and walking out!

montgomery
    Free Member

Tyre walls ripping, seatclamp bolts breaking, rack mounts shearing off the frame (jubilee clip sorted that one), brake cable outer housing fraying and opening out. Luggage failures sorted by sundry bolts, gaffer tape and zip ties. Early pre-internet tour nearly ended as soon as it started when the left pedal took a whack and pulled out the threads of the cheap square taper crank – resolved by a guy I talked to who happened to have a spare crank arm in his garage.

longdog
    Free Member

Just to add… Cheap saddles too.

My saddle rail broke on Orkney, quite some distance from the only bike shop too. Luckily a guy helped me bodge it with a nail with the head cut off, gaffa tape and glue to get me to the shop just before it closed where they had some second hand saddles, Result!

Dickyboy

second hand saddles

Maybe some secondhand bikes to cannibalise 🤔

gotbike
    Free Member

I’d suggest pannier racks too – have had these break on me before which is less than ideal

franksinatra

Here’s the article in today’s Observer:

any chance of a copy and paste article for those of us who aren’t subscribed to the Observer? Id be very interested.

FB-ATB

Duct tape?

oldnpastit

You can’t fix everything
    I had a ride-ending freehub failure two years ago, you can’t realistically hope to keep spares for every possible mechanical thing that might fail.

dovebiker

Thanks everyone for your suggestions – not sure we’ll be able to look at this this summer, but what we stock will be as much down to space. In the mean time, if anyone is in desperate need for a New Profile quill stem for 25.4mm bars with 120mm reach for your retro XC project, let me know!

slowol

The article on Mull postal service is now online on the Guardian website without paywall complications.
    https://www.theguardian.com/money/2023/may/22/postal-desert-island-mulls-residents-cut-off-from-civilisation-by-royal-mail

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.