Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bike Lugger
  • doomanic

Anyone got an S-Max or a Galaxy? Do bikes fit in upright with the front wheel removed?

With the demise of the 5er Touring I need to find a replacement I can afford and am happy to be seen in.

Budget is £6K.

swanny853

Galaxy will take my medium (long low slack) solaris with front wheel off. It’s a bit tight on length with the bars turned lengthways. Dropper down helps a lot.

From what I’ve seen comparing to the smax that little bit for height and length at the back corner could very well make the difference as it’s where the handlebars/wheel sit.

So far the most we’ve had in (we’ve only had it since the summer, so not that ambitious) was three adult bikes behind the driver on the right hand side, 6 year olds bike across the back and riders down the left hand side.

At some point I’d like to make a slide in system as that would make it a *lot* easier to load. Worth noting I can chuck the bike in whole with all the seats down

Onzadog
    Free Member

We carry bikes upright (front wheel off). Currently have a Touran with a zafira before that.
    We looked at the Galaxy but decided it was way more car than we needed so should do what you want depending on your particular configuration.

Do you need 2nd row passenger space? Are you happy removing front wheels? How many bikes? How many people?

We’ve typically found it was available height that was the limiting factor.

doomanic

Do you need 2nd row passenger space? Are you happy removing front wheels? How many bikes? How many people?

We’ve typically found it was available height that was the limiting factor.

Not when biking, occasionally when using as a normal car.

Yes.

Agreed.

Plan is to get some fork brackets to secure the bikes in an upright position.

Bikes are a pair of S3 Kenevo SL, a medium Rail and a medium Levo. All bikes run 27.5 rear wheels.

mashr

From memory the (relatively) high floor of the S Max (due to the hidden seats) and lower, sloping, roof make bikes going in upright a problem. Galaxy doesn’t have the same issue, but is a whole other beast.

If the S Max cake with the option of a properly flat floor is probably have one already

mrhoppy

My Sharan will do 3 bikes upright front wheel out, saddle dropped and 3 people + kit for a week. I’d be confident the galaxy can as it’s basically the same.

doomanic

@mrhoppy Is that the first generation Sharan?

doomanic

In case anyone is interested, an S3 Kenevo SL will not fit into an S-Max. It’s close, but assuming you care about your roof lining it doesn’t fit.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bike Lugger’ is closed to new replies.