Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bike in London Taxi – Paddington to Roehampton University – Or ride ?
  • PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Next Saturday I’m doing London to Brighton Off Road BHF ride.

Now 75 miles is a lot for me plus I have to get across London from Paddington Station to the start at Roehampton University – about 7 miles.

Time is tight between my train getting in and the last start time of 9.00am, so people that know London, is it realistic to take a Taxi ?
    (assuming taxis will take a mountain bike)
    That could save time but importantly cuts down on mileage.

Or do I just cycle (that will put the total mileage up over 80 miles) and trust to good navigation not to get lost?
    How long is this likely to take me ?

Any other alternatives I haven’t though of, ideas welcome.

kimbers

taxi will take it as long as its clean

wont be cheap though

the ride isnt too bad tbh

down through hyde park past the museums, go along fulham rd to the river, over the bridge into putney all the way out to roehampton

1.5hrs max id have thought, probably a fair bit quicker as traffic will be light then

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

wouldnt have thought that it’d take that long, allow over an hour just to be safe for riding it. the off road ride is pretty ‘railway grade’ to brighton, still fun but not technical. If youre not used to that type of mileage, taxi to roehampton sounds worthwhile.

Andy_B

Get on the district line and get off at East Putney or Putney Bridge. That should get you past most of the traffic / not knowing where you’re going stuff.

Also, check on tfl website there’s no line closures that day.

djglover
    Free Member

I’d have thought the district line will get you most of the way. It will certainly get you to Richmond / Putney.

hunta

Bicycle-on-tube shocker??

jimc101
    Free Member

No problem with bikes on the District/Circle lines.

What about going to Southfields / Wimbledon Park, and riding from there over / via the common

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Kimbers, I’ve got an hour between arriving at Paddington and getting to the start, from feedback above it looks like it may be tight.

Andy_B, I didn’t know you could take bikes on the tube, I’ll take a look at Google maps on that idea.

Any guesses on Taxi costs, this is still looking like a good option but I don’t want to jump in and have a shock on pricing. Around here it would be about a tenner, I guess significantly more in London.

drlex
    Free Member

Which campus? If it’s Roehampton Lane, either East Putney (10-15 mins ride) or Hammersmith (Hammersmith & City line- 20 mins ride).

mefty
    Free Member

The easiest way is if you do not want to cycle (45 mins max), get the Hammersmith and City Line (bike friendly) to Hammersmith (15 mins with maybe a wait for a train) then cycle from there to Roehampton, which is straight across Hammersmith Bridge and straight on to Roehampton lane (2-2.5 miles of very easy cycling)

kimbers

my 1.5hr was probably way over

getting the tube to hammersmith will probably give you the best option

the important thing to do when u get out of the tube station and start cycling is orientate yourself, take a compass or ask a copper!

cab would be maybe 30 quid + ???

Andy_B

You can take bikes on some lines at some times. Here’s the map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/tube-map-bicycles1b.pdf

The reason I’m suggesting to go on the Wimnbledon branch is because that will be a direct link rather than having to change at Earl’s Court.

Taxi at a guess would be £20-30 for a pre-booked job and more like £40-50 for a black cab.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Thanks evryone,

Tube straight through to East Putney looks good, not having to change is definately a benefit. Easy navigation and warm up to the start from there. Google maps gives 2 miles to the start.

Further bike on tube shocker, is there an allocated bike carriage or do I just join the fight with everyone else.

Andy / Kimbers thanks for price guide on a Taxi, that is right out.
    By comparison train from Gloucestershire to Paddington – £8.00 !

kimbers

nah you can just go onto any carriage and should be nice n quiet at that time

jota180
    Free Member

Can you go via Reading with your ticket?

Vague recollection that you can get straight to Barnes from there

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

jota180

Just checked that out but the changes don’t tie in neatly and overall it would take an estimated 50 minutes longer than the Paddington option, which would be really tight for the l;ast start time at 9.00am.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I’d call computercab and get a price, shouldnt be much more than 25 quid and traffic will be easy so should be quick. Get hom to drop you south of putney bridge and ride the rest, its not far.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bike in London Taxi – Paddington to Roehampton University – Or ride ?’ is closed to new replies.