Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bike GPS navigation inc footpaths
  • oldnick

Bike GPS novice here.

I want to plot routes on my laptop that will include roads, footpaths and everything in-between, then follow them on a bike GPS. I also use Strava to record my rides, though I think they all do that. Battery life whilst navigating needs to be decent. I think I’d prefer maps rather than turn by turn so I can work out what’s happened when I’ve still managed to lose my way.

Is there a primer somewhere that can explain what I need to know, and to guide me towards a purchase?

james-rennie

For laptop route planning I like ‘Ride with GPS’
    You can plan your route in there, then transfer it to your chosen head unit or navigation app.
    I use the paid-for version now, for some extra features, but i remember the free ine was good enough for planning.

nickjb
    Free Member

OnTheGoMaps is good for plotting. It shows most paths and auto snaps to them (you can force it to not snap if a path is missing). You can then export to a gpx file to follow on your device. Very simple, free and doesn’t need an account.

For the device there’s a huge choice now and most are pretty good. Cheapest is an old phone, especially if you already have one. Dedicated unit like a Garmin has some pros and cons depending on your needs. There’s quite a few threads on here.

johnnystorm

If you are dead set against turn-by-turn then a Garmin hiking GPS wouldn’t be a bad shout, not sure of the current models but it’ll be an etrex/dakota/oregon or similar.

I’ve just got an edge explore. It’s like the 1030 but with fewer “serious roadie training features” so you get a bigger screen and more detailed maps at a decent price. Have a look on amazon for a “renewed” one. They are factory refurbished and literally as good as new.

Generally I prefer RWGPS for self planned routing but have started using komoot more recently as so many sources now use it to distribute routes and it integrates nicely with the garmin for transferring the routes.

One of my criticisms of komoot is how keen it can be to route you down a footpath so of that’s what you’ve got planned you’re in luck! 🤣

I also use backcountry navigator on my phone to view OS maps. I’m happy with less detail for quick views on the fly and then have the phone for detail when it gets tricky or when a route needs a change mid-ride.

timba
    Free Member

As above, I use an Etrex 30 which is 6-7 years old now. AA batteries and a separate handlebar mount are extra. A micro SD card holds my inputted tracks
    I plan on http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php which gives me OSMcycle mapping and a separate OS view. Untick “Follow Road” and you can travel on other paths on a click-by-click.
    Save as a “gpx track” which doesn’t give turn-by-turn but allows you to follow a breadcrumb trail and doesn’t throw the occasional error caused by too much information for the Etrex.
    The same process works for planning walks too

butcher

If you are dead set against turn-by-turn then a Garmin hiking GPS wouldn’t be a bad shout, not sure of the current models but it’ll be an etrex/dakota/oregon or similar.

They’re really clunky compared to modern stuff. I still pair an Etrex with my Wahoo for backup occasionally, and surprisingly find the Etrex less accurate and more difficult to follow. The screen is barely visible much of the time (strong sunlight, low light, etc). Also has some serious flaws, like cutting routes short when you have too many track points, etc.

For ease of use, I’d go for Wahoo. Though the new Garmin stuff looks good too.

Plot a route with RideWithGps and you can send it to your Wahoo with a click of a button. Go for a ride and it will automatically upload it to Strava the moment you get back in the house.

RideWithGps (and others) will give you a choice of map types to choose from (OpenCycleMaps work for me as they show dedicated cycle routes and bridleways). BikeHike is one of the few that has free Ordnance Survey maps but is also a bit clunky.

oldnick

Wow, that’s great, given me some pointers thanks.

I’m sure I’ll be back with more dumb questions soon enough.

Someone said wahoo for ease of use, that immediately appeals…

Thanks again 🙂

butcher

I think I’d prefer maps rather than turn by turn so I can work out what’s happened when I’ve still managed to lose my way.

Just to add to this a bit. Whilst Wahoo do have ‘maps’, they’re virtually useless once you’ve lost your way. I guess hence the recommendations for Etrex etc, which is primarily a navigation device. However, I’ve rarely found it to be a problem, and mine has been well tested in some very remote locations and in a number of countries. Wahoo starts sounding an alarm the minute you leave a route. And in instances where you do go off, if you have a phone signal, it’s often easier just to look on your phone.

There are certainly pros and cons for each but for everyday use it’s Wahoo hands down (if you’re following a pre-planned route). If you want to improvise or plan routes on the fly, I’d look at something else.

StirlingCrispin

I’d say go for a Garmin Edge Explore.

Does turn-by-turn, which you can turn off, and also has a useful map feature (the TalkyToaster map is well worth the £10 required)

https://talkytoaster.me.uk/

Just back from a 3-day explore of Perthshire using mine. Didn’t think I’d use the turn-by-turn but it was very useful, taking me on paths and back roads I’d never used before.
    Also worked a treat following the 12 mile track into and then out of Loch Ossian YH.

Planned my routes using https://cycle.travel/ but have also followed gpx bread-crumb trails on maps across the Ochils.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.