Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Bike geometry question
  • mancjon
    Free Member

Getting a bit confused about bike geometries so was hoping for a bit of advice.

I have a chance to buy a specialized crosstrail comp disc 2014 model (can’t actually try it out) but the size is XL and I am usually a large in bikes (6ft and cycling inseam approx 34″). The sizing guide for this model is L = 5.9 -> 6.0 and XL = 6.0 -> 6.3 so I am right in the middle.

Found a forum where there are a lot of crosstrail users and they pretty much all said it would be too large ie. I would be too stretched out on it which is where I was a bit confused – this is a link for the 2016 geometry which is pretty much the same except on the 2014 model standover height is 842mm –

https://www.specializedconceptstore.co.uk/product/2245/2016-crosstrail-comp-disc/ (scroll down to geometry).

Now I used to cycle XC type mtbs with relatively long top tubes eg. 610 -> 620 (as I prefer to be a bit more strecthed out than upright) and they came with 100mm stems so that already means the crosstrail would have a shorter overall length (ETT + stem) than what I was used to in the past. In addtion any more recent bikes I look at with the size for my recommended height all seem to come with an equal or longer top tube than the crosstrail.

I know there is more to bike fit than top just ETT and there are no hard and fast rules but can anybody see anything glaringly obvious that I am missing as to why it would not be a decent fit in terms of reach etc.

One other thing in standover height. 842mm is approx 33inches so that would leave me with about an inch spare. How important is that for a general purpose commute/towpath/light trails type bike.

Thanks for any help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’m 185cm and used to sell them, I’d have chosen a L for me and my legs are longer than yours.

That is not much standover at all.

It won’t feel like a bargain if it doesn’t fit.

I’d suggest you don’t risk it unless it’s to cheap you can sell on without loss.

devash
    Free Member

I’m exactly the same height and inseam as you op, with lanky long arms. I would always ride a size large in Specialized. XL will feel slightly too big in my opinion.

rickon
    Free Member

I’d be more concerned with the 410mm reach and 600mm ETT. That’s a short bike. The 410mm reach is what you’d see on small bikes these days.

Sounds like a gate to me. Hard pass.

Note: ETT gives you how long the bike feels sat down (to a point, when you add in a seatpost that can move up and down that affects length)

Reach gives you how long the bike feels stood up.

I’d recommend that you should be looking at a reach over 450mm.

reeksy

Pretty sure I had one. I’m 183 and a large was fine.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Bike geometry question’ is closed to new replies.