Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bike for my Dad…£1k gravel/cross
  • ahsat

As a present after both my Mum’s hip replacements she bought herself a Cannondale Quick Carbon. Very nice. However my poor Dad (diabetic and not as fit as he could be) can’t now keep up with her on his old heavy hardtail. So apparently we need to go bike shopping (I’m inclined to agree if it encourages him to get out more).

So he likes riding my brothers road bike as he likes the drops. So I’m thinking a cross or gravel type thing which would match the terrain that the Quick can cope with. They generally like riding canals, green lanes, old railway lines, rolling roads, and are thinking of taking bikes to Europe for some light touring maybe. Think weight is key to help him up the hills and more relaxed geometry (he is nearly 62 and things ache a bit). Max budget £1k. What suggestions stw?

Bregante

Pinnacle Arkose 2 for exactly a grand with hydraulic discs. I’m really happy with mine (a 2017 3) and there’s a huge thread on here somewhere.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-2-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV306245

jb72
    Free Member

Arkose X shows as 9.5kg … depends if you like the idea of 1x and bar end shifter.

https://www.evanscycles.com/pinnacle-arkose-x-2018-adventure-road-bike-EV275629

kelron
    Free Member

Your mum sounds awesome.

ahsat

Haha. My Mum is awesome. You’d never know she is 60 (in fact about once a week people question how she has a 33 year old daughter!) and nothing stops her. Partly why I know I have to get on with things in my ACL recovery – she’s quite an inspiration.

Thanks for the suggestions. I also wondered the Pinnacles. Don’t think 1x will work – he’d want more gears (he still thinks he is doing the 400 mile touring trips of 40 years ago in his head!).

stoddys
    Free Member

Giant anyroad.

Just got home from a week in west wales, spent a couple of days on mine, it was ace.

avdave2

A friend has the Boardman CX Team which he’s been very pleased with. Currently £900

PrinceJohn

Cotic Escapade?

Sonder ?

SaxonRider

What about something like the Ridgeback Ramble?

Not sure about the Sora groupset, but if it even approaches Tiagra in terms of function, then I expect it would be more than adequate.

ahsat

Sonder is certainly on the short list as Dad is an epic Alpkit fan.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Will have a look at others tonight. Thanks.</span>

ahsat

Well that rapidly escalated…though I should have seen it coming as my Dad loves gadgets and kit even more that I do! We had a look at some of the suggestions yesterday, but he has rapidly fallen for something along the lines of a Specialized Diverge Carbon or a Genesis Datum 20, citing weight as important (though at 9.2kg with 105 not as light as I’d thought). Budget blown at the window!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’ve read good things about the Giant Toughroad SLR GX bikes, maybe the 1 version for a 32/48 double crankset?

The 0 model is 1x, but also has full hydraulic brakes, while the 1 has Giant’s own hybrid hydraulics.

Fits 45mm tyres.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

Did a full market search for the same a little while ago for my neighbour. The winner was the Vitus Energie. Looks even better in the flesh and unbeatable spec at the price. Second was the GT Grade, but its pig ugly.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Steel CX or road bike like Condor.

Or a do it all:

Focus Paraline 105.

cynic-al
    Free Member

In the circumstances I’d limit it to what he can test ride.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I bought a Kona Jake a few weeks ago as a towpath/commuter/shopping bike and it sounds like it would be a good match for your dad’s needs.

Currently £400 off so brings the cost down to £600

https://winstanleysbikes.co.uk/kona-jake-2017-bike

[edit]

Missed the post about the escalating ambitions which means this will fall woefully short of the current front runner.

redmist
    Free Member

Recommending what i have… I picked up a Merida cyclocross 500 which doesn’t seem to attract too much hype but I’m loving it so far. More than pure cross and has rack/guard mounts etc. Oh and an awesome green colour.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bike for my Dad…£1k gravel/cross’ is closed to new replies.