Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bike fit – existing bike and new build
  • gribble
    Free Member

Hi,

I am building up a 26in Transition Suppressor in XL and already have a Bfe (26, the model before the most recent model change). Having thought I would just keep a hardtail, I managed to go back on my word less than 12 months later. I think I have grand visions of an Alps trip or something…

I am at 6ft 2, so could probably have gone for a L or XL frame for them Transition. However, I have a L Cotic Bfe and feel the bike is sometimes a bit short, (my knees also can get sore), although accept that for a hard core hardtail they can be quite short reach. The trade off is that great handing and bmx like feel (excuse my incorrect terminology here, but what I am gettin at is it is fun to ride downhill). I am thinking of putting my layback post back on the Bfe, but keeping the same cockpit (50mm stem with 780mm bars). I think the layback post will move the seat back by 16mm or so, compared to a normal post.

My old XC hard tail is an XL and fits fine, although I accept a completely different sort of bike to anything else I have, or am building now.

So my plan with the Suppressor is to go for a shortish stem, as it is fairly long. I have asked the Transition team and they have advised that the Frame was designed around a 50mm stem, but 10mm +/- should be fine.

For info the reach/effective top tube specs are:

Suppressor:

Reach 483mm
    ETT 640mm

Cotic Bfe:

Reach 440mm
    ETT 614mm

I am thinking of going with wider bars at 800mm and a 50mm stem. Any thoughts on fit? Unfortunately with both bikes I have never been able to get a ride on someone else’s prior to buying the frames.

transition1
    Free Member

I am 6ft but have long torso. I ride an XL Smuggler (was told should ride a large) so same reach with 50mm Stem & 760 bars although measured them & they are 800!. I tried the bike with 35mm Stem & didn’t like how the bike handled. I can also fit a 150mm reverb in no issues. The long reach suits my body shape.

gribble
    Free Member

Thanks transition1.

will try a 50mm stem. I have a 170mm dropper, but am fairly long in the leg so hopefully will fit ok…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bike fit – existing bike and new build’ is closed to new replies.