Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Bike building "Top Tips"
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Nail clippers make a real neat job of clipping cable ties as they don’t leave a sharp point on which you will invariably cut your leg next time you come off like snips or pliers do.

NEXT

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Put the ties in the right way so the ends point in.
    Never build a bike when the shops are closed

weeksy

despite knowing you have ALL the bits needed, don’t plan a ride for the next day… the fact is, 1 part will be wrong despite you thinking it would be right 🙂

daftvader
    Free Member

Take your time building, rushing the job to get out on the trail will inevitably lead to broken/badly set up parts and more time off the bike whist waiting for replacements to arrive. …

knightrider
    Free Member

Don’t cut fork steerers while drunk

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

under-tighten everything first, your bound to have to untighten something at one point – when happy then tighten all

bencooper
    Free Member

With bottom brackets, the right-hand-side has a left-hand thread. First bike I built, I got that wrong – it was a bit stiff, so I got a longer lever on the spanner. It went in eventually, and that bike was fine for over a decade.

I was 14, I’ve learned a bit since then 😉

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Keep knuckles well clear of chainrings. They do not mix well. Keep telling myself this (along with putting the chain on the outer ring when installing pedals to reduce gouge depth) yet still end up finding out how thin the skin is on my knuckles. Muppet.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Gonetothehills

I worked in a shop once where not shifting the chain to the big ring before removing crank bolts , pedals or chainring bolts was a disiplinery offence if caught.

Top tip from me

Make sure your using the correct lubricant for the job . Any old iron doesnt cut it

argoose
    Free Member

Never stroke another mans rhubarb!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Make sure you have twice as much outer cable/hose than you think you need. This its the first time I have fallen fowl to this and its because I didn’t take the dropper post or the much longer top tube into consideration. 😳

wordnumb
    Free Member

Always have a mug of tea / coffee / cider ready for that step back and wonder how something so simple went so very wrong moment.

(realising last night that the secondhand brake I bought was cheap because the muppet previous owner mullered the reservoir screws)

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Always cut the cable outers before you put the inners through. 😉

munkster
    Free Member

I know a lot of people tish and pish and say that you ought to be able to tell by instinct but I am finding a torque wrench to be a re-assuring thing to have when building a bike. Still hasn’t made me any better at setting up these &*#’ing BB7 brakes though 😥

ojom
    Free Member

Instruction manuals? You mean manufacturers opinion.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Use copper slip grease on all the non moving parts you may wish to remove one day and use more than you think you need

brakes
    Free Member

Measure once, cut twice.
    Make sure your steerer can be replaced.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

No build is complete without a cold one.

epicyclo

Only bodge the easily replaceable part, not the frame…. 🙂

danielgroves
    Free Member

Keep knuckles well clear of chainrings. They do not mix well. Keep telling myself this (along with putting the chain on the outer ring when installing pedals to reduce gouge depth) yet still end up finding out how thin the skin is on my knuckles. Muppet.

Where an old pair of riding gloves when installed peddles. Between those and the chain you keep all your skin.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

It’s worth going to your LBS to have the headset cups put in properly. Take some biscuits as you’re bound to want to go in minutes before they close that day when you forgot something important for the build (shifter cable etc)

Instruction manuals? You mean manufacturers opinion.

Win!

easygirl

Don’t put the tip of your finger between the rotor and calipers
    It hurts
    Edit, whilst the rotor is spinning 😥

dantsw13

Get EVERYTHING before you start.

Tidy up before you start, and have plenty of space to put things down.

Helitape the frame before building.

Run the fork steerer longer than you want for a few weeks with spacers on top, just to make sure.

Don’t bother locking your grips on until its all finished.

Find a way of routing full outers for your rear mech.

If you get stuck, phone a friend, or google is your best mate!

Finally – DO IT!! It’s a great way to know your bike.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Don’t get caught scrubbing your cranks in the kitchen sink by your girlfriend… 😀

YouTube and Google are your friends.

cazum
    Free Member

after your 1st ride check all fixings. re-tighten if needed then again after another few rides.

when doing things up to a set torque value, on the 1st time tighten to the value then loosen off then again to the set torque value!

dont put alot of locktight on ANYTHING that may or will require to be un-done at some point! as your more than likely to strip something or shear something!

dont use imperial tools for metric sizes and vice verca! use the correct tool and only the correct tool for each job

butterworth24
    Free Member

I second the part about bottom brackets and long spanners, you look a right bellend walking into the bike shop with a brand new frame with no threads in the BB shell 😳 Also try not to buy cheap bits off eBay because the one you need most will have a huge crack in it!

mattjg
    Free Member

Tight enough is tight enough.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    I worked in a shop once where not shifting the chain to the big ring before removing crank bolts , pedals or chainring bolts was a disiplinery offence if caught.

I can believe it!

danielgroves – Member
    Where an old pair of riding gloves when installed peddles. Between those and the chain you keep all your skin.

I’ll give that a try next time too.

And another tip – get a magnetic tool bar from Aldi. Trying to find the 4mm Allen key or screwdriver or whatever that you put in your pocket, on a shelf, the workstand, the floor, balanced in the bottle cage, on top of the fridge from when you went for a(nother) beer etc gets pretty tedious. Slapping them onto the magnet is easy and you always know where they are.

trail_rat
    Free Member

dont put alot of locktight on ANYTHING that may or will require to be un-done at some point! as your more than likely to strip something or shear something!

Only if you use the wrong grade.

wordnumb
    Free Member

No audience (unless we’re talking about a bunch of others also fixing bikes with brews in a large shed at 2am before a major ride), because if something’s going to go wrong it’ll go wrong when there’s a witness.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Don’t fix bikes in the garden. It’s a bugger to find washers, nuts and bolts in the grass without a magnet

Tom KP

OCB
    Free Member

Tiredness (and it’s associated stupidity) is (are) your enemy.

If something isn’t fitting / working / installing the way it should, STOP. Just leave it where it is, and go and have a cup of tea and a bit of cake (et cetera).

If there’s time, drift back to it, but if it’s late in the day, leave it until the morning. I’ve spent (which is to say wasted 🙄 ) hours on stuff late at night struggling away on some seemingly impossible task … which of course, only took minutes, and came together perfectly well the next morning.

Hmm, actually … this is universally true.

nickc

Find a way of routing full outers for your rear mech

really don’t get the whole full outers gig.

leffeboy

keep an old BB kicking around so you can always check what direction the thread is

a big hammer is not a bad thing

rob-jackson
    Free Member

leffe boy its printed on the cups!!

jca

a big hammer is not a bad thing

…unless you are using to install that BB (superstar excluded, where it should be substituted for a rock)

leffeboy

leffe boy its printed on the cups!!

You’ll be using one of those new fangled external BBs then. On my good old square taper ones you still have to remember and I don’t like mixing my dodgy memory and big hammers

garage-dweller

Do people really mash their knuckles on chainrings removing pedals? Can’t recall doing that in 25 years of bike fettling. Maybe I am luckier than i thought!

Top tip… If you dont have the tools be wary of bodging them.

Although i used to have a headset press built of 10mm threaded rod, 4*2 and some big old repair washers that worked ok or at least better than the previous installation kit of 4*2 and large hammer.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Bike building "Top Tips"’ is closed to new replies.